Please help - Sleep issue for baby covered in severe rash for 10 months now

kkeller

Reaction score
My one year old son has been covered in a severe itchy rash for 10 months now. 8 doctors later we find out he is allergic to our cat and several foods, so he is in the process of healing but it may take up to 6 months.

He wakes up scratching every 1 to 2 hours during the night. If we leave him in his crib he scratches his face until its raw and bloody, so the cry it out method is not an option (he can take off mittens). He sleeps with us and the only way to soothe him every hour that he wakes in an itchy fit, is nursing him. He is on an antihistamine/sedative but it does not help. We have not slept a full night in a year now. We are desperate. This is ruling our lives and we need help!

Does anyone out there have any advice? Ever dealt with this?

I've got no experience of this, so can't offer any advice i'm sorry. But your poor LO, how awful for you all.
But with regards the sleeping. Can you and your OH do it in shifts? When our DS had sleep problems, i used to go to bed at 9pm till 2am (so at least was getting 5 hours solid) and then i would take over so my husband could sleep 2am to 7am. I know you've said you are nursing, so know this could be a problem, but if it's a comfort thing, maybe try him on a bottle?, at least then you can get a chunk of sleep?
I know it doesn't seem like much, but it's amazing what 5 hours of solid sleep can do! x

Hi there :hugs:

Poor LO! :( That sounds so awful. I don't have much advice - my son had dairy issues that caused a bunch of stuff including eczema, but it wasn't that bad. There is a group in the parenting section for kids with allergies (link below). They might be able to help, and at the very least offer some support! xx

https://www.babyandbump.com/parenting-groups/544129-living-kids-allergies-group-179.html

Thank you both for your responses. He is very attached to me for sleeping. I think I've become his sleep prop (not healthy, I know). So I don't think my husband could handle him. We've tried something like that before and his crying would just keep me up.

I'm going to repost this in the allergies section.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->