Please help!

Princesskell

Love my 2 babies
Reaction score
I gave birth to my second child on Friday. He was a big boy at 9lb13 and I am bf'ing as I did with no issues with my daughter.

My nipples have been quite sore and I've felt baby is not opening his mouth quite wide enough? :shrug: I had the midwife check for tongue tie but she said he was fine.
He went down to 9lb3 yesterday for day3 weigh, which they said was fine, but today he has just wanted to feed all day and has not seemed satisfied after.

Tonight I have been feeding him for 4 hours straight. When he drops off the nipple I have put him down in his Moses basket or bouncy chair or in my arms in our bed ( this is how he's slept since we came home:)dohh:) but after 5 minutes tops he is wriggling and inconsolable until he is being fed again.

I just don't feel anything is coming out. Im not feeling my let down and the other breast is not leaking.
Any ideas what to do??

Xxx

Try not to worry it sounds like a growth spurt to me. Try and relax as that can affect let ddown. All babies are different and some go through more growth spurts and are harder to settle than others (and this applies to FF babies too) xx

the first few weeks are so difficult with how small the mouth is compared to the nipple.

I didn't feel any letdowns with my first but with my second they were so painful I nearly gave up.

Listen for swallowing from your LO, there should be rapid rhythmic sucking, followed by rhythmic swallowing which slows down and then there should be some lazy sucking and resting. There may be some wiggle wiggle wiggle of your nipple to try get another let down. if there is a lot of swallowing and plenty of wet nappies, its going great guns.

My first just wanted to be on the breast all the time because he had reflux, it was exhausting so I def feel your tiredness:flower:

Sounds like he's cluster feeding for a growth spurt or something.

I'm BFing my second newborn too and also dont feel letdowns. My breasts are def less engorged this time too and dont seem to leak... maybe our bodies remember somewhat what to do?

My nipples hurt a bit too at latch on, although thank god theyre generally ok and havent cracked. I figure his mouth just isnt big enough to get much nipple in and it'll get better as he gets bigger.

Has your milk actually come in yet? Constant feeding around day 3 or 4 is usually baby's way of bringing it in. If your baby hasn't got a great latch they need to feed longer more often to do the same job.

Things to look for that mean all is well:

Meconium clearing, and poo turning from green to brown to orange then mustard yellow.

Nipples coming out of his mouth an even symmetrical shape.

Things to look for that means things aren't quite right:

Poo not changing

Nipples coming out flattened, angled, squashed

Pain in your nipple/breast that lasts through the whole feed, or gets worse as the feed progresses.

I dont remember geting the releas feeling right away with both boys. Came in later when everything had regulated.
With Sigurður he clusterfed like this the night before his 5 day checkup, didnt sleep a wink that night and he had tong tie right to the tip of his tung and it was cut in that ceckup.
He didnt lathc right way on so I needed to use this thing on my breast called mexicanhat here, not sure what you call it. My nipples were cracked, and sore and just painful. But about a week with that I think it was all fine, he got bigger (he also had small mouth for a big boy haha) and he started to get the grip on things.
Try not to worry, it has bad influens on the milk. Just relax and it will come. I remember visiting my brotherinlaw when they had their first and he was about 3 days old I think. And She was just starting to milk and after that she was like this prize winning cow (no bad meaning) with cream or something since the baby gained loads :) hahaha.

Awww thank you everyone for the reassurance. I think I was having the middle of the night, insomnia panic!!
His nappies are great! Already yellow and lots of them so he must be getting something. We took him to be weighed today and after a loss at day 3 he had put on a few grams, which she said was good at this stage so she was not worried. I have bought some lansolin (spelling?) which is supposed to help the soreness.
The pain does last all the way through the feed and although he is definitely swallowing, my nipple does come out a bit squashed in the end. I think he may be moving back to jst sucking the nipple half way through the feed?

He's slept loads this morning so I also think he's just a bit back to front still?

Everything seems brighter in the morning hey! I will let you know how he does tonight xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->