please look

I was reluctant to click the link because if it depicted animal cruelty I'd have been crying for the next 3 hours =X
The trouble with this is, people love their cheap goods and those who pay the price are the animals :(
Personally I'll gladly pay extra for free range/organic etc. It generally tastes better too.

Sad thing is that with organic milk (and i only found this out weeks ago thru my vet friend) the living scenario for the cow is often times worse as any condition including bovine mastitis is not treated with antibiotics as this would remove the term 'organic' so the cow suffers.....and many lf us know how painful this condition alone is, let alone any other condition the cow might have that warrants antibiotics or medication. Free range however is a good option however rare it may be! Poor animals. Fair enough, eat meat, drink milk, but give some compassion and respect. Budget smudget. :nope:

It's very difficult, in order to improve things, the supermarkets need to start paying farmers more for the milk that they produce. There also needs to be a change in the breeding of dairy cattle to improve their mobility-lameness is a major problem for cows. This would lessen the need for painkillers and antibiotics as a routine measure.
I think that cows should be given space to roam and spend time outside, exhibiting natural behaviour but in some instances, the bigger, intensive dairies will have an equal if not better welfare standards as there is just more money around, they will often have a vet on side, 24 hr monitoring etc.
The small farmer struggling to get enough money for their milk just don't have the resources sometimes to look after their cows in the way they would like to.

Signed. Im veggi and feel so strongly against factory farming, I also worry about where the dairy I eat comes from, they should have it on the cartons like they do with meat. I tend to buy yeovalley but I do want to make the transition to soya full time. The fact that cows are impregnated again and again in order to produce milk for people to consume comes as a surprise to alot of people, I for one up until my teens thought that all cows produced milk like chickens lay eggs out of necessity! Is very unnatural thinking about it.

Im not sure how things are done in the UK, but while i was in school, i worked for a dairy farm for a couple of weeks, and from what i see in that picture, here in Australia, thats just where they are milked, the cows were allowed to roam around and eat the grass etc like any other cow, but just at milking time they were gathered into a long room that looked similar to that, and then onced they were milked they were let back out.

Like i said im not sure how the farms are there, but it just looks like what i have seen.

I prefer to buy my milk from the farm near me, because i walk past the dairy farm all the time & the cows have a massive feild to roam in.. Hate factory farming!!

Remember watching something on ch4 about it where someone kicked a turkey & i cried for about an hour!
Also, signed :)

I was reluctant to click the link because if it depicted animal cruelty I'd have been crying for the next 3 hours =X
The trouble with this is, people love their cheap goods and those who pay the price are the animals :(
Personally I'll gladly pay extra for free range/organic etc. It generally tastes better too.

Sad thing is that with organic milk (and i only found this out weeks ago thru my vet friend) the living scenario for the cow is often times worse as any condition including bovine mastitis is not treated with antibiotics as this would remove the term 'organic' so the cow suffers.....and many lf us know how painful this condition alone is, let alone any other condition the cow might have that warrants antibiotics or medication. Free range however is a good option however rare it may be! Poor animals. Fair enough, eat meat, drink milk, but give some compassion and respect. Budget smudget. :nope:

yeah its a hard one isnt it,although its less likely that the organically farm cow will get mastitis as the reason they usually get it is because of the intense increase of milk production,selective breeding has taken place and cows are separated from their calves at an early age :( mastitis,ketosis,staggers and milkfever (all associated with higher milk production) have become increasingly common,requiring antibiotics to deal with them :nope:Organically raised cows graze on organic pastures that have not been treated with any pesticides or fertilisers,which means that fewer residues exist in their milk.The health of the cows is encouraged,with homeopathy or herbalism.Organic cows cannot be kept indoors and are LESS likely to suffer from the health problems associated with unhygienic cramped conditions. Sorry for log post but just wanted to clarify as didnt want any one to be put off organic :flower:

Im not sure how things are done in the UK, but while i was in school, i worked for a dairy farm for a couple of weeks, and from what i see in that picture, here in Australia, thats just where they are milked, the cows were allowed to roam around and eat the grass etc like any other cow, but just at milking time they were gathered into a long room that looked similar to that, and then onced they were milked they were let back out.

Like i said im not sure how the farms are there, but it just looks like what i have seen.

does that kind of farming sound ok to you?

I know what you mean but its been amazing to me how many people have clicked on it but have not signed (maybe they have and not said though,i hope so) :( very sad. I pay organic always for meat and milk (we have meat twice a week as its expensive) the milk makes me sad for the calf's as they are taken away from their mums very early,organic milk is a little later so they have more time with their mums :nope: I just cant bear to think of animals treated badly,whether they be chickens or cows. I understand people want cheap but id rather sacrifice on something else. We seemed to have lost all sense of where our food is from. sorry for waffle xxx

AGREED! One of the reasons why I am veggie. Im not so against the whole concept of eating meat per se, but the way it is done is fowl :(
We buy orgainc milk too. I have to say, Im a little reluctant to click the link as I dont want to be up all night with bad images going around in my head. Are there any pictures? :blush: I'd rather just go straight to the petition thingy.

I dont really see whats so wrong about it??
It gets over and done with quickly, and here, its the best quality milk.
Its not some 'cheap' milk, the cows arent stressed, theyre happy.

Like i said, i dont really see what is so bad about it?

I know what you mean but its been amazing to me how many people have clicked on it but have not signed (maybe they have and not said though,i hope so) :( very sad. I pay organic always for meat and milk (we have meat twice a week as its expensive) the milk makes me sad for the calf's as they are taken away from their mums very early,organic milk is a little later so they have more time with their mums :nope: I just cant bear to think of animals treated badly,whether they be chickens or cows. I understand people want cheap but id rather sacrifice on something else. We seemed to have lost all sense of where our food is from. sorry for waffle xxx

AGREED! One of the reasons why I am veggie. Im not so against the whole concept of eating meat per se, but the way it is done is fowl :(
We buy orgainc milk too. I have to say, Im a little reluctant to click the link as I dont want to be up all night with bad images going around in my head. Are there any pictures? :blush: I'd rather just go straight to the petition thingy.

No pics :hugs: know what you mean but its a little write up then you put your details in and you click on it so it goes to all the mps listed x

I dont really see whats so wrong about it??
It gets over and done with quickly, and here, its the best quality milk.
Its not some 'cheap' milk, the cows arent stressed, theyre happy.

Like i said, i dont really see what is so bad about it?

from what you put,makes me think u havent read it!? :wacko: i dont understand,if you are interested ,find out about it and you will find that they are very much NOT happy cows and they are VERY much stressed :flower: dont want to argue but if you really want to see whats going on,do a bit of research ,yourself?

No pics :hugs: know what you mean but its a little write up then you put your details in and you click on it so it goes to all the mps listed x

Have filled it in, and for OH too :)

Have filled it in, and for OH too :)

Thank you Flubdub,nice to see you :flower: i haven't seen you around much,iv missed ya little bug crawling around my screen :haha: x

Has any of you read Meat by Joseph D'Lacey :sick:

Signed

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leoniee
Back