Please Read - I'm freaking out! nuchal translucency

mypitsthelife

Reaction score
Hi Ladies,

Hope you all are feeling well and enjoying your pregnancy. Today I went in for my dating scan. It put me right where I knew I was at 9 weeks 3 days. The ultrasound tech was chatty and told me that I would get another one at 12 weeks if I opted in to the nuchal translucency test and blood work. I had no idea what it was so she told me that it tests for down syndrome and explained it a bit.

I am a huge worry wart I mean huge huge worrier. I Google constantly and spend way to much time looking up stuff on the internet and becoming anxious over it.

Of course when I got home I wondered if she mentioned this testing because she seen something wrong (Even though it realistically didn't seem that way) I googled the testing and found out that it measures the fluid behind the babies neck and is done anywhere between 10w and 13w6d. So I am of course inspecting my ultrasound pictures and noticing in the first picture it looks like there is space between the spine/back......is that the extra space they are talking about? Can it be noticeable at 9 week? Am I worrying for nothing?

I've been looking at pictures of 9 weeks scans online and can't find one with a similar space.

I am referring to the picture scan1.

What do you ladies think?

Attachments

• scan1.jpg
    scan1.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 38
  • scan4.jpg
    scan4.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 18
9 weeks is too early to tell, they recommend the nuchal scan between 11-14 weeks. It's something that everyone gets (unless they choose not to) don't worry!

Hi Ladies,

Hope you all are feeling well and enjoying your pregnancy. Today I went in for my dating scan. It put me right where I knew I was at 9 weeks 3 days. The ultrasound tech was chatty and told me that I would get another one at 12 weeks if I opted in to the nuchal translucency test and blood work. I had no idea what it was so she told me that it tests for down syndrome and explained it a bit.

I am a huge worry wart I mean huge huge worrier. I Google constantly and spend way to much time looking up stuff on the internet and becoming anxious over it.

Of course when I got home I wondered if she mentioned this testing because she seen something wrong (Even though it realistically didn't seem that way) I googled the testing and found out that it measures the fluid behind the babies neck and is done anywhere between 10w and 13w6d. So I am of course inspecting my ultrasound pictures and noticing in the first picture it looks like there is space between the spine/back......is that the extra space they are talking about? Can it be noticeable at 9 week? Am I worrying for nothing?

I've been looking at pictures of 9 weeks scans online and can't find one with a similar space.

She didnt see anything wrong they are offering this to everyone i believe now. They offered me one as well they gave me pamphlets about it too. and this was when i went for the confirmation of pregnancy before i even had my ultrasound today dont worry yourself but i am going to get it done only because i love seeing my baby on the monitor

You're worrying needlessly. Most of the scans are done at about 12 weeks. 9 weeks is way too early to know anything.

I am sure everything is fine.

This is a common routine that most pregnant women go through. It has nothing to do with what she saw on the ultrasound.

Baby has to be in the right position and size to measure it. 12 weeks-13 weeks is the only time frame they can do this for accurate results. Dont stare at the pictures, you have no idea what you are looking at lol

LOL, I really don't have any idea what I am looking at. I wish I wasn't such a ball of worry. :nope:

LOL, I really don't have any idea what I am looking at. I wish I wasn't such a ball of worry. :nope:

Just enjoy the next few weeks and be on :cloud9: that you saw a beautiful happy bean :) You will have your 12 weeks scan and it will be perfect :)

Try not to worry so much :hugs: the test is offered to everyone. I think at 9 weeks it would be to early to tell anything.

Trust me! Your little one is fine. To get the nuchal translucency measurement, baby has to be in the perfect position and developed enough for a good look.

What they are looking for is how much fluid is still at the back of the neck at this age. They also check to see if your little one's nasal bone is present. Both of these are things that you can't see unless the tech is looking for them and the baby is at the right age.

I had my nuchal scan done a week ago and it went really well. The odds are ever in your favor. Don't over-analyze numbers or what if's.

Enjoy your pregnancy!

Im having mine done in a few weeks I will be 12w6d I have already done my bloods this past weekend but will only get my results then.

Im not worried too much about this I actually just want to see my baby again.

Dont worry most people get theirs done and there is nothing wrong with their babies.

Hi Ladies,

Oh sweetie calm down! The NT scan is offered to everybody so that every woman has the choice as to whether they want it done or not. 9 weeks is far too early for her to be able to see anything - I went for my first scan at 10w+6d which was originally supposed to be the NT scan, but I was told baby was too small and I had to go back, so 9 weeks is far too small! Plus they have to get such exact measurements, it took 25 minutes for the sonographer to get the right measurements and positioning of my baby, I was rolling all over the place to move baby around, so I doubt just a quick glance could have told her anything! If she was chatty she was probably just letting you know because that way, if you get the test done, you get to see your baby again! I had the test done and I was low risk - 1 in 6100. If you're a huge worrier, I don't know whether it would be best for you to do the test or not because depending on your results you might end up worrying even more! But for me, it put my mind at ease, it depends how you would react to whatever result you got.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->