PLEASE remember to take folic acid x

Munchkin30

1 DD,2 losses, Pregnant!!
Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm sure you all are but just a warning on the importance of folic acid. My sister had her second baby on Tuesday, she was taking her prenatals and had been since getting pregnant with her first who she was still feeding. Despite this her beautiful 8lb 9 baby daughter has been born with spina bifida.

They're hoping it's mild but even then she's already had a big operation and now they think she's got a club foot and is getting infections from her bladder not emptying. She will probably be in hospital at least another week and is in a special unit where my sister can't stay so it's an absolute nightmare. No one knows how she will be but they're hoping she'll be ok. And this is despite taking folic acid!

I'm now taking a high dose just in case but please don't skip the folic acid, it's just not worth it xxx

I'm sorry about the news of your niece. Its not nice. I have no experience on spinal bifida but my son had a club foot when he was a baby. The treatment was amazing and after his casts, surgery and splints you would never tell anything was wrong with his foot, minus the cute little dent he has in it. The treatment never bothered him in the slightest and took it all in his stride. Now days he only has to go yearly to the hospital for a check up. I will admit he did walk late, but he also has autism and it was more linked to that rather than his club foot as he was late reaching every other milestone too.

Bless your sister and niece... I hope your sister is doing as well as she can...

Please keep us updated one her progress
X

Thanks. She seems to be doing ok but is apart from her 17 month old which is hard. I was nearly in tears today, probably hormones, but I was holding her and she'd just gone to sleep and looked so peaceful and the drs came in to do tests and we had to leave her and she was screaming and it just breaks my heart. I was desperate to take her home but she's in the best possible place and is 100 times better off than most of the other babies in there. She's screamy and hungry and feisty and will be brilliant once she's home xx

Sorry about you sisters baby Hun

I think 8/10 cases can be stopped from taking foil acid but 2/10 can happen anyway don't quote me buts it's around that hopin she makes a speedy recovery and gets on well xxxx

As self-appointed Folic Police I couldn't agree more. My Ruby's neural tube didnt close at the top, despite me taking my folic for a year prior to conception. The top andback of her skull didn't develop :(

I know a lot of you suffer terribly from sickness and nausea, but if you can force the pill down at bedtime it really is a lifesaver xxx,

Yes my last pregnancy I was on holiday at about week 6 and didn't take my vits with me. In the end I had a miscarriage but I shudder to think what else could've happened . I'm on 5 mg plus the 400 mcg in my prenatals now and have been for months so if something does happen I'll now I couldn't have done any more x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->