please tell me getting a filling is safe :'(

Maidenet

Reaction score
Just been to the dentist, said I didn't want the filling till after baby is born due to my own paranoia and i felt ill..... He stuck a mirror in my mouth, and slyly with his other hand injected my gum ready too do the filling! That was the bit that worried me so I just went a head with the rest.

Are numbing dentist injections safe?

:(

Does your dentist know you are pregnant? If so i'm sure he wouldn't have given you anything that wasn't safe.

From what i've read online the injection is fine they don't recommend you have the gas though.

Nik

I'm honestly not sure but I would imagine it's ok. All I know is that it's not safe to have mercury fillings (the grey coloured ones) while pregnant. Not sure why but you're meant to get either White fillings or a temporary filling done until after you've had baby.

X

I need 3 fillings my dentist said as i wasnt in pain hes going to wait untill after the birth however if i had been in pain he would do them while i was pregnant

Just been to the dentist, said I didn't want the filling till after baby is born due to my own paranoia and i felt ill..... He stuck a mirror in my mouth, and slyly with his other hand injected my gum ready too do the filling! That was the bit that worried me so I just went a head with the rest.

Are numbing dentist injections safe?

:(

Wow, remind me never to go to HIM .. he clearly doesn't respect your wishes.

But i'm sure it's safe hun, if he knew you were pregnant then he wouldn't put you both at risk, cos you could sue him

xxx

I'm sure it's find, the dentist wouldn't have done it if he knew you were pregnant and it wasn't safe maybe it needed to be done - even though he should have talked it though with you

Did he know your are pregnant? Did he even ask your permission to do the filling. If he didn't it's assault

I think local anesthetic should be perfectly safe. The only thing my dentist didn't want to do was x-ray my teeth. If your dentist could tell you needed a filling without any x-ray then it will have been quite bad - HOWEVER I think it is utterly unacceptable to inject you when you have already expressed a refusal to be treated. You are vulnerable sat in that dentist chair and he took advantage. He probably though you were being "silly" but that is no excuse, he should have tried to persuade you by explaining benefits (an infection in your gum could have been much more serious to your and baby's health) etc. I'd complain, but that is me...

I needed a filling too. I asked my OB and she said it's fine and I should def. get it done because pregnant woman are susceptible to oral issues. When I went to my dentist he said they put in the numbing injection but it was a little different than the normal ones they do? But to be honest my OB was not worried at all and even said she doesn't know why woman are so worried about getting oral procedures because they are so important to keep up with. So NO WORRIES!

getting a filling is fine. Leaving the cavity is actually quite dangerous as it can (and often does lead) to an infection in the blood that will infect one of the valves in your heart. This infection often requires surgery to replace the valve.

Im a Cardiovascular surgery ICU nurse and see this happen a lot. Its a big surgery, and the recovery time is weeks. The freezing for the filling remains in the gum tissue and nerve and will not harm the baby.

He knew I was pregnant, but made no effort to reasure me... my heart was racing like mad.
Not sure what colour the filling is either if I'm honest.... It's like a grey / white coloured filling actually! Just checked.
Hah should be ok x x

dental treatment is safe, as long as it was anew filling being put in, i was meant to get 3 old fillings replaced but apparently the mercury passed through the placenta so have to wait until after baby is born......which im quite happy to do lol x

I work as a receptionist at a dentists and everything is safe in pregnancy apart from x-rays :) xx

Fillings and the novocaine (or whatever shot used) is ok. I had 4 so far while pregnant and both OB and dentist knew about the other (OB knew about fillings, dentist knew I was pregnant.) He then referred me to a dental surgeon and I never made the appointment. I definitely can't go ahead with oral surgery haha.

Getting a filling is perfectly safe. I had to get on with my last pregnancy. I also had to have a root canal with my previous pregnancy as well! GL

I had 3 fillings done all at once right at the start of 2nd tri. The injected anesthetic is local only - it won't affect baby at all. The only contraindication is gas so you can't have that. Getting an infected tooth would be worse for you and baby than getting these taken care of. Pregnancy is very hard on teeth so take care of them! Get the white/tooth colored fillings if possible.

yup i got a root canal at like 32 34 weeks ish, novicanes fine.

Im a dental nurse. Having injections are fine but you MUST tell the Dentist your pregnant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->