Plz dont judge (smoking)

Alright I'm not trying to start anything. Just wanted to point it out that there are ways to offer advice. I'm sure all meant well.

OP: sojourn's links would be helpful for you to go on your way to stop. I recommend to also build a rapport with your health care provider so that he or she may also be your back bone. They have lots of infos on ways to quit. It is hard, but it definitely is doable. Take advantage all the resources out there. Speak to mothers who have struggled through it and made it. Just remember that it is doable! You are in control, not the cig! Don't let it control YOU.

Calm - oh! That's a good one! I'll be checking it out just for learning purposes..i do know a pregnant lady neighbor who is a smoker but struggling to quit. Gonna show her this.

I just visualised it poisoning my baby and gave up cold turkey as soon as I found out x

Good job on cutting back a lot of people don't even take it that far. You are on your way to a change. It's going to be hard especially since your body is going through so many changes but your already making the steps to make it happen. Good luck.

Some of y'all are so damn rude.. I think it's a hormonal trait because I saw the same thing when I was in first tri.. The girl knows what it's doing to her baby which is why she is asking for advice.. I don't think she needs 15 people telling her how much damage she is doing. She has to live with it. Her baby, her life, her habit. You don't need to gang up on her to help her. Truth be told, I know a few people who smoked throughout their entire pregnancies and had perfectly healthy babies. Not recommended but possible. Just because it's not your life doesn't mean you get to shoot daggers.

The 'I know people who smoked through their entire pregnancies and had perfectly healthy babies' line does not help someone who is trying to quit. Unfortunately, there are plenty of people who will tell the OP this and few of us will have the guts to 'be rude'.

Good luck OP.

You can do it! When I fell pregnant with my son I struggled, I was going through really tough times and I was just 18 I'm ashamed to say but I smoked throughout. This time I went to the doctors to a smoking clinic and they prescribed me with patches and other things, I've smoked for 8 years and I never thought I could stop, I was on the patches for 5 days and then just stopped using them, I haven't looked back since. I can't believe I've done it, if I can I promise you can too! Call your midwife and ask about a smoking clinic, I would have really struggled without that initial boost x

The 'I know people who smoked through their entire pregnancies and had perfectly healthy babies' line does not help someone who is trying to quit. Unfortunately, there are plenty of people who will tell the OP this and few of us will have the guts to 'be rude'.

Good luck OP.

It's not supposed to help her quit. It's supposed to let the people who are making such harsh statements know that they don't have to be so extreme. She doesn't want to harm her baby hence her asking for help. She doesn't even know that she will 100% harm the baby, because some babies come out just fine. Here she is not even wanting to take the risk and instead of getting support people are rude.

I'm sorry, but please reread my post as you seem to have misunderstood. I never said that she 'wanted' to harm her baby like you have interpreted it as. I do not know what the 'harsh statements' are that you refer to nor what makes them so 'extreme' in your opinion.

'Some babies come out just fine' and 'she doesn't even know that she will 100% harm the baby' are similar statements to your previous 'I know people who smoked throughout their pregnancies and had perfectly healthy babies' and similar to the other poster who said that going cold turkey was 'just as damaging' to the baby. In my opinion, these affirmations are not helpful to a pregnant smoker who wishes to quit.

That's awesome you have cut down. Good job! Maybe you could have a piece of gum or start exercising or something to get your mind off the cravings.

well today i went and saw my GP and im waiting to hear back from the smoking nurse finally got the road started. :)

Me and my husband both gave up last year before starting the ivf process. I read the Allen Carr only way book. It was amazing, from finishing the book I haven't smoked at all, nor have I felt any cravings or desire to smoke. I was very skeptical, but thought it wouldn't hurt to have a go, my mum used the same book a few years ago and quit her 40 year long habit cold turkey. I'd well recommend it. I bought a second hand copy cheap from eBay. Good luck with quitting :) x

Good luck, you can do it! X
Sorry O/T Harley, your profile pic is amazing! X

Thank you :). I had a private 28 week scan and they were trialling the HD live machine x

Thank you :). I had a private 28 week scan and they were trialling the HD live machine x

It's just fantastic! I had a 4d scan with my son but that is just on another level! I've not heard of them before will have to have a search!

I Haven't read past the first page as I assume there will be lots of judgemental posts.

My grandparents smoked around my mum when she was pregnant with me. She was a young mum and lived with them. They didn't approve of her being pregnant and continued to smoke 40 each a day. As a result of 2nd hand I am asthmatic and have suffered my whole life. So safe to say I hate smoking.

Most people think once the baby is out it will be fine, but I had problems once I was born from the smoke I received in the womb. And I love my grandparents but hate them for doing this to my health. My pregnancy has been very hard because of my breathing problems.

The only reason I mentioned that above is because its worth pointing out that some people don't bother. And you're trying. So I think you deserve the credit for admitting you smoke and that you want to do something about it.

Id say that you should go to the doctor asap and tell them you're pregnant and need help quitting. Most people struggle on their own, medical intervention really does help. Plus remembering the baby will help you. Hopefully being pregnant will increase your willpower.

Good luck. X

Just read your last post and realised you've been to the doctor. Congrats and keep on them. Xx

Also had a little read through and not IRS some posters who are rude are the same to me and others on many threads. I dunno if some people get brave behind a keyboard or if its a pregnancy thing. But don't take it to heart and keep positive

Good luck xx :)

Well done so far hun, you're doing great!

I quit just over a year ago after probably close to a hundred failed attempts. I managed to quit the whole time I was pregnant with my DD but started up again shortly after she was born. The trouble was that I had quit for my unborn baby so the whole time I had in the back of my mind that as soon as she was born I would be free to smoke again! Last time I quit for me and that's the one that finally stuck.

I quit sucessfully because i educated myself in the science of nicotine addiction. Basically the secret is to not smoke. It sounds so stupid but that's it. You need to understand how addiction works and that just one puff of one cigarette will turn all those little dopamine receptors in your brain back on in an instant and put you right back where you started. So the whole "just one won't hurt" that we all tell ourselves was the very thing that kept killing my quits again and again. Once you get your head around that its just so easy.

I found this website a great help when I first quit: www.whyquit.com the guy is an absolute genius! Its full of little motivational articles and information about addiction.

I hope this helps. Sorry I've waffled on so much just that I'm so proud of myself for finally overcoming an addiction I thought I'd never be rid of and I always want to pay it forward when people will listen :) xx

Just thought id let everyone no i completely stopped smoking even though it was hard

Awesome job!! You've done something that thousands of people attempt or just wish for....but you did more than that. You did it!! :happydance::happydance:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->