Poll on your personal preferences

Eniala

Reaction score
Just wanted to see what everyone's personal preferences are on the following items. I am open to hearing discussions as long as everyone is civil and can state their opinions. Just curious as to what the majority of people's prefences are

Please choose the answers that are closest to your beliefs or preferences. You should have 5 total answers

So far the majority is going with disposable diapers, breastfeeding, against circumcision, not cosleeping or baby wearing, and ok with using a pacifier.

Gotta ask, why are so many against circumcision, and is circumcision more of an American thing?

I personally think it is disgusting to circumcise a baby. It should be left for the person to decide when older unless needed for a medial reason! I understand some people do it for different reasons but it is not something I/my friends and family agree with x

My answers are not what I specifically "believe" in...its just I went different routes with all my children for specific reasons and times in my life. I breast feed my first child, not my second, however I will be breast feeding this baby. I used disposable diapers with my first two..but we are using cloth diapers this time around. I didn't have a washer and dryer when I had my first two...we had to use the laundry mat so using cloth diapers at that time was not an option.

As for co sleeping...I had my children sleep in the same room as me for awhile but not in the same bed...which is also what we will be doing this time.

So far the majority is going with disposable diapers, breastfeeding, against circumcision, not cosleeping or baby wearing, and ok with using a pacifier.

Gotta ask, why are so many against circumcision, and is circumcision more of an American thing?

I think it is an american/cultural thing. In the UK it's more an 'if it ain't broke' kind of thing lol. Unless you request it (usually for religious reasons) then it's just assumed that you wont be getting it done. Neither of my boys have even had it offered, and I don't think I've ever met anyone who's had it done to them/their children either.

When I had my first I was naive, because I was really young, and the doctor told me he had to be circumcised or he'd get diseases. With my other boys I did not opt to circumcise. What a terrible procedure for such a small and helpless being. I'm from the USA and I think it is more common here.. but they're born that way!

I'm also snoody about breastfeeding. If you can, you should. But that's just my opinion.

I think co-sleeping is good - but I'm paranoid about SIDS. Once I started having babies I became a super light sleeper. If they make a sound during sleep time, I wake up. So I like to have them close. After a while we use the crib.

I was also anti-pacifier for 2 of my other kids, but then we decided to use it with the last one, and it was so much easier! I thought it would be so hard to ween him.. and it was until I found the perfect tip - completely cut off the end of the paci. He was like, "hmm this is broken." And he threw it out and never asked for one again.

The pacifier thing has me confused! Seems like a lot of people have very strong opinions one way or the other. I was very anti-pacifier. Thought it was bad for their teeth, hard to ween them from it, a baby cries for a reason, etc. But then just lately have been seeing more people saying its actually good for them. and I just saw that article about it reducing the changes of SIDS. I told DH and he said its just a report and he doesnt want DS to have one, period.

I was so the same way. My son's teeth are fine and he used one for 2 years LOL. They even have ortho pacifiers which are proven to not mess up their teeth. :)

I have 6 answers because we use both cloth and disposable diapers. ;)

Also, I am anti-bedsharing, but totally on board with baby wearing. I don't see them as mutually exclusive. I was a little confused by the "not cosleeping or baby wearing, baby has own bed" option because in all the brochures I've read, cosleeping refers to having the baby sleep next to you, but in his or her own bed. And bed sharing refers to, well, sharing a bed. :)

I'm in the US and circumcision is very common here, it's more unheard of to not have it done.

Only 3 answers here, circumcision is a topic of debate between me and DH but with 3 girls we were saved the issue. Also I am a baby wearing momma that doesn't bed share.

Disposables for me although I will be investing in a few cloth ones this time as with 2 in nappies I think it will help keep costs down.

I've FF'd from birth with both and will with number 3.

No circumcisions as I've explained.

I've never shared my bed - I've occasionally slept on the sofa/floor with baby if needs be, but my bed just seems so dangerous (all those duvets and pillows). I've never been a baby wearer either. I tried it as it seemed like a fab idea but with such big boys and weak wrists it's never worked lol. I now no longer own a sling but I may invest in a hip carrier soon for Eddy.

Always allowed dummies/pacifiers too. I think they do more good than harm, but I'm always careful to wean off in the day at 1 year and at night as soon as possible (Earl was 20 months). As far as I'm concerned they're a 'baby' item, and toddlers/older children do not need them.

For me personally it will be:

Cloth nappies
Breast feeding
Co-sleeping & baby wearing
And ok with using a dummy

:flower:

I use disposable nappies because I don't like the idea of faffing around washing poo-covered ones.

I breastfeed because it's easier and cheaper and better for the baby.

I don't circumcise because I think it's painful and unnecessary.

I co-sleep because it's convenient. However I don't baby-wear because I have back pains.

I'm okay with using a dummy if the baby really wants one, but generally speaking we start off not using any, and just take it from there. We go with the flow.

I've done cloth nappies but with 5 kids have run out of energy and the washing machine already never seems to stop so it's disposables this time.

I have always breastfed it's just natural to and I hope to have no issues this time as well

I don't see the point in circumcising, in our country over 80% of the males aren't circumcised and there are no issues with disease etc. Poor little babies.

I don't cosleep on a regular basis but do on occassion, the babies sleep in bassinets beside my bed though. I baby wear but also use a pram.

Have never used a pacifier, I've tried my babies just won't so it's not a preference thing just they way things go.

I just started cloth diapering because I will have 2 in diapers and figured it would cut costs.

I really want to breast feed again for all of the benefits.

My DH and I decided against circumcision. What a nightmare to put such a tiny innocent being through that, plus we feel it is his choice.

I refuse to co sleep, but I am going to be baby wearing. :) now he just needs to get here!!

Diapers - love the concept of cloth diapers, tbh, but will be going with disposable, as I don't have the money for the upfront cost of cloth.

Breastfeeding - I feel like it's an important bonding experience, so I don't see a reason not to unless it's a physical impossibility. For instance a friend of mine's body simply did not produce breast milk so she had to formula feed.

Circumcision - I really don't have an opinion. It's supposed to make things easier hygiene wise. My husband wants it for our little boy and I have no argument against it.

Co-Sleeping/Baby Wearing - no to the first, yes to the second.

I toss and turn a lot in my sleep, so does my husband, plus we're both bigger people. Doesn't leave much space for baby and I'd worry about one of us rolling onto him.

I plan on having the baby with me while I work, so the whole baby wearing concept is one I love - That I can have that contact but still have hands free.

pacifiers - In moderation. I cringe to see it used as a first resort to quiet a baby down, but there are some situations where it can be a lifesaver. Again, since I plan on having baby with me at work, I'm sure there will be busy times when I need to quiet him down but wont be able to focus my whole attention on him.

Circumsition is very common in the USA. Also it has a lot to do with religion. My husband is, therefore my son will be. (If I ever have one)

My first choice is cloth diapers, though I have only used them with my last two, with intermittent spells of using disposables for various reasons. I will plan to use cloth primarily with the new babe as well and will have at least two in diapers when he/she is born.

I believe breastfeeding is best. That said, I formula fed my first 3 kids (had a bad experience trying to nurse my first and had no support to help me overcome and become successful). I was able to breastfeed the next 5 anywhere from 5 to 9 months. With #9 I managed to make it a full year, and will plan on doing the same with the next one.

All of my boys are circumcised, and if this one is a boy, he will be as well.

I do not have my children sleep in my bed after the first couple of weeks, and that's just for convenience's sake so I don't have to get up and down all the time during the worst of the recovery from childbirth. Most of them have, however, slept in a bassinet and/or pack-and-play in my room for the first few months, although it's not right by my bed.

I have used carriers/wraps when out and about occasionally with my last two, but for the most part do not wear my babies.

All but my first baby have been binky babies. He sucked on his two middle fingers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->