Poor kids, BBC1

xxembobxx

Reaction score
I know I shouldn't watch as I thought it might make me mad and I was right!

First upsetting thing was the girls in Glasgow who live in high rise flats with appalling damp.
But more upsetting is the kids in Leicester who go without lunch as their dad can't afford it. WTF?!
I've been on benefits and my kids NEVER went without a meal. They ALWAYS had clean, decent clothes and shoes.
Yes it's tough being on a low income but that is no excuse to make your kids suffer.
Ggrrrrr :growlmad::growlmad:

the girl that isnt in glasgow.. did you see the mothers nails?! she had really long perfect talons manicured amazingly.. but yet her daughter admitted that during the weekends she also didnt get lunch, she only got lunch when she was at school!

my parents are on benefits and we NEVER went without a meal!!

Im discusted in the fact they cant afford to feed their kids but they can have a dog and a playstation.

We were raised on benifits and we were allways fed and had a holiday even if it was just in the uk.

I knew I better not watch it lol, even these comments are making me mad!

the glasgow ones really quite upset me as the other girl has a young baby sister living in that damp.. even the matress's where mouldy :(

I watched and dont understand why one of the girl was wearing Nike trainers surely get yourself to the pound shop and get some cleaning products!!! The girl who had excema sp? Her toe nails were black! Ffs I'm so mad a sink of water would clean them if they couldn't bath but nope!

Yeah the Glasgow girls housing was terrible and no fault of the parents but the other two parents should be ashamed of themselves. I know it's not ideal but you have to assess your priorities when you have a low income and food is the top of that list!

I do wonder why the programme makers didn't find somebody on benefits who can actually use a hoover. Both english houses were minging but that is not a true reflection of everybody on benefits.
I know many people on benefits who are VERY houseproud and it would have been nice if they could show someone like that not the usual stereotype.

All the way through it I was trying to figure out how they couldn't afford to feed their kids and their houses were so dirty?!

Ok, we all know food prices are on the up but there is ALWAYS cheaper brands, value ranges and discount shops like Aldi & Lidl.

I've done it, on my own with a child and single parent benefits, it's fucking hard but not THAT hard.

My eldest was fed, clean, warm and had clothes. Gifts on Birthdays and Xmas, you knew these birthdays etc were coming all year so you planned and saved for them, even £2 a week if that's all you could afford.

It doesn't cost anything to keep a house tidy and very little to keep it clean, you don't have to buy big brand name cleaning products.

I find it all really frustrating.

All the way through it I was trying to figure out how they couldn't afford to feed their kids and their houses were so dirty?!

Ok, we all know food prices are on the up but there is ALWAYS cheaper brands, value ranges and discount shops like Aldi & Lidl.

I've done it, on my own with a child and single parent benefits, it's fucking hard but not THAT hard.

My eldest was fed, clean, warm and had clothes. Gifts on Birthdays and Xmas, you knew these birthdays etc were coming all year so you planned and saved for them, even £2 a week if that's all you could afford.

It doesn't cost anything to keep a house tidy and very little to keep it clean, you don't have to buy big brand name cleaning products.

I find it all really frustrating.

I lived on benefits for 2 yrs, a dustpan and brush can be brought from poundland ffs the house was VILE.

They were still buying kingsmill bread and stuff and saying they were skint, well buy cheaper bread then!

I just dont get it :(

The smoking dad etc

My kids never went without meals. Uniform is cheap enough in ASDA etc.

FFs shocking :(

Yep, https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b011vnls/Poor_Kids/

:flower:

Yep, I just watched it on BBC iPlayer!

I hated how all of the children had been so exposed to it and the girl saying she felt like this was her life, she would be poor for ever and never be able to do anything =( She was only ten!

They seemed to know the system so well. As I was watching it, I thought about my childhood, and I really dont think I was that clued up on it all, I was just a kid. My parents dealth with all that, and thats how it should be. So sad though.

I was raging watching it, all I kept thinking is a bottle of bleach is 26p :haha: that poor lad who was bullied because of his clothes/hair, I'd be ashamed if that was my son, it costs £2.50 in most towns for a hair cut or £10 for some shavers to do it yourself! He reckoned he got £420 a month for bills and food which is bollocks, JSA, CTC and CB equals more than that! Plus the whole debts thing, if you're that poor either stop borrowing or if it's old debts pay them £1 a month or wait for them to take you to court, I'd rather feed and clothe my kids than continually borrow from door step lenders and pay back stupid amounts per week. 6 weeks we lived on DS's child benefit after I had to quit my job due to ill health and tax credits and income support were taking forever, beans, bread, veg, corned beef and potatoes is what we lived on and there were times I went without dinner to make sure DS had something the next day. There's no excuse to not feed your kids or keep a clean home. I just think they purposely found the scruffiest people they could find. Plus the whole 'my mum can't afford to take us swimming' well I'm in West Yorkshire too and it's £5 for a family pass and you can stay all day, save up £1 a week fgs! It made me so sad that these kids knew far too much about money and things :(

JUST WATCHED IT AND I AM BEYOND WORDS!!!!

if this a true reflection of how these children live and not made out to be worse for tv.

It can be done there are 10000 proving it every day! these people need help in money management, not more money.

It made me cry. it was so sad :(. Especially the girl in Glasgow. I was raging that the local authority can let children grow up in those conditions. The other children didn't shock me that much unfortunately. I've cross across a lot similar (and worse) in my line of work (primary teacher).

This show shouldn't be called poor kids...it should be called neglect.

How the hell can any parent let their child go without food.

I really don't beleive these families have it THAT bad. The single dad..his cupboard was full of coloured labels on tins. If he's struggling so bad that his SON has to wear his DAUGHTERS old school shirts then shouldn't he be buying value products in white packaging?
And why the hell does he have such a big TV that costs £1 for 6 hours...when he can go on his local freecycle or gumtree and pick up a TV for free. Or go on ebay and buy one for 99p. Even if it's a bit smaller. I'm sure it will use less electricity too.

My mum was a single parent with 4 kids and we NEVER went without a meal unless we choose to (I never used to eat breakfast but it was always there if I wanted it.)

I'm soo angry after watching this!!

I was disgusted and saddened throughout this programme!
Although I'm married now and my husband works, I too was once a single mum of 5 children on benfefits after divorcing my 1st husband. My house was kept immaculate and my children never went without. They've always worn Clarks shoes and had decent clothes and uniforms and always a dinner on the table and plenty of days out and uk holidays, spain when we could afford it too. There is no excuse and those parents were just stupid parents who really don't have a clue how to live properley and budget! Smoking and drinking etc wasting their kids money and having pets too WTF get your priorities right will you. And as for them kids going without, they should be taken into care as they are obviously unfit parents! I cried watching this as now I have 7 children and they are my world, I don't go out or smoke/drink etc and my husband works long hours to pay our bills and spend the rest on our family. When I was on benefits, it was more than plenty to get us by and also the government paid my rent and council tax. Where the hell is their money going??? They are just scruffy flunkers who will never do any better, hopefully their children will grow up to do better and better themselves than their illiterate lazy parents. I too was brought up on benefits, and went without alot as a kid like those kids,as my mom drank heavily and smoked drugs and partied with our benefits.Their money is going somewhere and I just don't buy it!!! The only people I felt sorry for was the kids who suffered, theres just no excuse these days, we're not in the 3rd world, why do refugees come here, to make something with their lives as you can in this country but some lazy people who actually live here do eff all but scrounge and dig holes for themselves grrrr makes me mad!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->