Poor kids, BBC1

What's this programme called?? and is it on BBCI?

I might watch it later but this sort of thing makes me so mad, people on benefits who claim to be poor and cant afford food etc, you get enough money to live on, so where the hell is it all going. its there to pay the bills, buy food, and buy what the kids need, any decent parent puts themselves last.
we lived on jsa for a little while when we both lost our jobs and the kids never went without. they had clean clothes, healthy food,still had their swimming lessons, days out, xmas pressies etc and our house was always nice, theres just no excuse. these people make me sick :growlmad:

I dont think it should be about affording expensive clothes and holidays on benefits, kind of defy's the point. People would be whining if they did just that and showed it on TV but it does not cost anything to take kids to park or cheap paints etc. It does not cost heaps of money to keep a house clean and tidy!

What was the benefit of this programme? Is anything going to come of it? Are the government/bbc going to sort the situation out... offer money management classes?

Or was it purely for entertainment value??

I didnt watch it, but I have to say, I live in what is classed as the worse areas of aberdeen, with lots of folk on benefits and the closest local shops dont sell cheap stuff - the copy is extortionate!!!

So if they are lazy feckers, that will be why they cant afford stuff, as they are paying through the nose for overpriced premium stuff rather tahn to to lidl (although I have to say, I found lidl more expensive than tesco for some things!)

I dont think it should be about affording expensive clothes and holidays on benefits, kind of defy's the point. People would be whining if they did just that and showed it on TV but it does not cost anything to take kids to park or cheap paints etc. It does not cost heaps of money to keep a house clean and tidy!

Exactly! :thumbup:

I didnt watch it, but I have to say, I live in what is classed as the worse areas of aberdeen, with lots of folk on benefits and the closest local shops dont sell cheap stuff - the copy is extortionate!!!

So if they are lazy feckers, that will be why they cant afford stuff, as they are paying through the nose for overpriced premium stuff rather tahn to to lidl (although I have to say, I found lidl more expensive than tesco for some things!)

Well I thought this as you seen one of the kids going to the shop for stuff and it looked like a "corner shop" bag she had.

We have a shop 5 minutes away and some of his prices are double what tesco/asda are!

Luckily we have 3 major supermarkets all within a 10 minute walk but surely even them getting the bus to a supermarket and buying cheaper food would save them money rather than squandering it in corner shops!!!

i just watched it and it was so so so sad, I mean doesnt a tin of beans cost 16p or something from asda?

and if they had no job and their kids were allways out playing in deralict houses or waste ground with neadles in couldnt they tidy up!!! oh and the dad saying I need a job that fits around child care, well his daughter was cooking the dinner and im sure the son would prefere to have a hair cut and trousers that fit him and have his dad come home at 5, im sure a 12 year old doesnt need that much supervision

I'm about to watch it, we know people like this though hopefully not as bad as in the programme but we know a family who keep telling OH he should stop working and get on benefits; as its 'easier', their house is an absolute **** heap, they seem to have no money for proper food or keeping their house in good nick yet they have plenty of money to buy every single one of their kids a playstation 3, xbox and top end smartphone, they have sky in every room and buy takeaway every day for the kids as well (several of the kids have ADD and similar problems, with their diet its no wonder why) :( We are not well off; plus we have a lot of debts but its all down to good money management; our entire shopping including nappies, toiletries, cleaning products, even clothing is only £350 a month for a family of 6 and we buy very little on top of that, we do buy in bulk or budget brands where possible and often prefer to. xx

watching it now and some of those houses are disgusting!!! no excuse for that! x

the glasgow ones really quite upset me as the other girl has a young baby sister living in that damp.. even the matress's where mouldy :(

I didn't watch the show, but you'd be surprised at the amount of military accommodation that is like this. Soldiers go off to war and have to worry about their family back at home in disgusting conditions. :growlmad:

Im going to watch this later on iPlayer then I shall vent my anger as Im sure Ill have some !

my mum spent 4 years on benefits when in I was small and we always had nice, proper dinners...I always had clean clothes and although sometimes they were second hand always fitted and in good repair..although I do remeber a pair of boys PJ's with the willy hole that my godmother gave me!! our house was always tidy and we always seemed to be doing things, my mum didn't work so she had time to entertain me even if we spent hours throwing a ball around or going to the park etc. I am sure that there were times when I was in bed where my mum used to break her heart but I was always too happy to realise we had no money.if I had friends round for tea..we always had hotdogs and crisps..such a cheap meal but because I always had proper dinners, a real treat..I didn't even think we only had that because my mum couldn't really afford to feed 2 children. I even have it now sometimes as a bit of a comfort meal if I feel sad. I was also bought up to respect things, especially as they didn't always come easily and to if I had peeled wallpaper off or drawn on walls and broken my bed etc...I would have been for it!!! I feel sorry that the attitudes of the parents will probably rub off on these children and they will never know a better life. You just want to give them a scrub and a cuddle xxxx

i want to watch it but at the same time i don't :nope:

i thought it was awful!

the mum whos daughter said missed lunch at the weekends because they were poor yet she had the huge nails that were perfectly manicured!!

why cant they have things like beans on toast 30p for a loaf of bread and 14p for a tin of beans/spaghetti seriously my child would never ever go hungry!
even if they cant get to the shops for value things tescos/asda are now online ~ the local childrens centres have computers with internet access surely they could use them?!

i dont understand if they dont work why their houses are sooo dirty?
you can get a bottle of bleach for under a £1 and scourers for 12p!!!

its really wound me up (as you can probably tell!) i dont see what this programme is trying to acheive tho? hopefully they gave the parents lessons in money management!!

I am gonna watch this now on iplayer.

V xx

Ive just sat and watched it and I sobbed at the end and just said to Pete that it makes you thankful for what we have.

However, I agree with most of the things people have put on here. Nike trainers, manicured nails, a playstation and a massive dog are not top of the priority list when youre going without meals! I also could totally not understand how the place can be so dirty. Even if you dont buy bleach or spray from £1 shop, good old boiling water and some washing up liquid makes a whole difference and is great on damp patches and dirt. If that man had cleaned, tidied things away and the kids made an effort in their rooms, that can go a long way.
The little girl had roller skate trainers, Im afraid thats not a priority to me! Charity shops sell clothing so cheaply these days theres no excuse and most of them sell clean and good condition things.
The eating and missing meals thing is appalling. Bean on toast, scrambled egg, own brand goods are so cheap and feeding them doughnuts and pasties which probably cost more is ridiculous and unhealthy. That little girl in Bradford was grafted and her pjs and toes were black. Hand washing clothing and boiling a kettle for a good wash was done years ago and I see nothing wrong with it now either for some pride!

It made me so sad for the children but the parents needed a kick up the arse. I agree, work is hard to find and things are very tight in this day and age but even on the poverty line, they can make things a little nicer by using their brains for the sake of their children!
X

Watching it now :shock:

The state of these homes, makes me feel ill.

They are neglected, these kids are going without food because the parents are paying of films like Brighthouse and Provident.

I am back on benefits and the reality isnt good but i save and don't spend on what i don't need.

I dont smoke, drink or gamble so i save money there.

My kids dont EVER go without their 3 meals a day.

They are warm, dressed, full bellies and have a very clean roof over their heads.

V xxx

The Dad complaining he has no money but they have a massive TV, PS2.

The kids excema was shocking too.

V xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"