poor/rich devide

Eternal

Three boys!
Reaction score
Can someone please explain this to me?

I posted it here as I imagine there will be different views on it, but I actually dont understand what its supposed to mean?

I have seen a few people on here quoting at as the reason for people to be doing this rioting. I personally cant see how that has anything to do with it? Who is the rich anyway? Can someone explain what this is and means?

I posted on that thread and mentioned poor/rich divide. I wasn't using it as an excuse for the rioters, but saying that it exacerbates the resentment IMO. These people don't care about who they hurt though and I think they are absolute scum. Am not sure what anyone elses view is on this who used this phrase in relation to the riots x

Depends what part of the country you're in. Slough and other areas round here has an obvious divide, there are six bedroom houses 60 seconds away from the areas where bus drivers wont even drive down out of fear they'll have their buses smashed up.

Im not arguing the fact, Im just wondering what it is.

I mean Im a SAHM, husband is a middle earner, we dont claim any benefits, and have a 5 bed home (so not a 6, lol, its a really old house will loads of work needed), so does that make us rich?

Because I know people who get more in benefits than us, and have no mortgage etc to pay.
We dont have money to go any forgein holidays and luxeries like that, and wont for the foreseeable furture.

Who is the rich? and who is the poor?

some people would say you're rich, some people just see middle class as rich, there's no clear divide because its relative i guess :flower:

LOL! Its crazy to me, I would say were poor! My neighbour's house is valued 3x what mine is, she is a lecturer, he is a doctor, kids privately school educated, i look accross and think, they are doing well for themselves, but i dont resent it and I dont see why they or I in this case should feel guilty?

Whats the answer? should the whole country pack in their jobs and go on benefits to stop people being offended, how would the country work then?

Perhaps im thick, but i really just dont get it?

If people want better for themselves then go get it? My husband came from a low income family, lived in a council house which his family evetually had right to buy, and he has made something of himself.

Yes I know there is a devide, esp in grounds of people getting into certain jobs, like law, medicine etc, but the people mostly being talked about have no intention of working.

What exactly should be done?

The people in the higher earning jobs are supporting those in lower paid jobs or on full benefits. without them there would be no NHS, or benefit system.

I just dont understand any of the logic, as i say, perhaps im thick, i have no idea how some people could think we are rich, as i say, i know plenty of people who get more in benefits than my husband brings home, with which we have to pay a mortgage amoungst other things.

How can someone who has more expendable income and doesnt work for that money be jelous of is, or see us as someone who need to be robbed from, or persucuted?

The term working class has always confused me seen as most of them have never worked.
There are many variations of classes these days that I dont think classes apply in the way they used to.
Its split more into those that want to make something of their lives and those that just want it all handed to them then you have those stuck in the middle that genuinly have no choice but to have to rely on others but would work for better if they could.

I personally think of the poor / rich divide as the difference between 1st and 3rd world countries. I dont think anyone in the west can say they are poor, not when u look at the plight of say people in Africa.

As long as i have a roof over my head, food on the table and love around me i am rich :)

As someone from another country looking in, I find the UK's social system very weird, and it seems like there is no room for personal growth for those that are poor and a lack of jobs avaliable, so I can see a divide between the poor and the rich.

I think that the rish and poor divide very much depends on your own situation. For me, rich are those who live in £1m plus houses etc, not those who earn £60k a year. Others will feel differently.

I personally think of the poor / rich divide as the difference between 1st and 3rd world countries. I dont think anyone in the west can say they are poor, not when u look at the plight of say people in Africa.

As long as i have a roof over my head, food on the table and love around me i am rich :)

I 100% agree with you. I cant see how anyone can really say their are poor, not when compared to real poverty. No one in this country needs to go without healthcare, and people are given money by the government if they cant work for whatever reason.

In 3rd world countries health care is a luxery, if you dont work then you wont have anything, no food, home, clothes, etc.

I beleive there are plenty of people living on tesco value food or whatever, who have no money for treats or extras, I have lived like that before too, its maybe not the most enjoyable, but compared to the 3rd world, it is actually very luxery.

As someone from another country looking in, I find the UK's social system very weird, and it seems like there is no room for personal growth for those that are poor and a lack of jobs avaliable, so I can see a divide between the poor and the rich.

I do agree jobs are in short demand, but if someone wants to work and is willing to do anything then there is work. maybe not well paid, or best hours, but there are jobs if people look hard enough and willing to do anything.

We can afford to be choosey because thats what society has taught us, i have gone for plenty of job interviews where i was told i was over qualified so they wouldnt offer me the job :wacko: perhaps as i had higher qualifications than those interviewing me! But still annoying.

I have worked in a few very poor counties trying to get people into training or work, and some want to better themselves but have been hindered by a benefits system which means you actually get less money working than you do not.

But for the most part people see no need to work. People say, why should I? My parents never did, Ill just get my benefits. Its more work ethic then anything else.

I do think the system needs to be improved to that those who choose to work get the benefit of that expereince, and dont loose out finicially for it. But I also think people need to learn that its not acceptable to decide not to ever work.

The majority are honest people who have found themselves on hard times and a victium of the system though, its not like everyone is that way. For the most part people see benefits as a short term solution to help them out.

The rich poor divide cannot be explained better than this comedy sketch

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Class_sketch
Ive tried to find a video of it but google doesnt like me

I read something somewhere that if you have money in the bank, food in your cupboards and a roof over your head, you are richer than 80% of the world's population. I think it was 80% anyway, definitely a high percentage.

I think the devide exits in people's mind, people will always get greener grass syndrome and some will look at others and see things in comparison to their own life, someone who you might consider to be rich could be in lots of debt for their lifestyle, could have sacrificed a lot to get there or might actually be struggling, I believe anyone can make a go of themselves if they want to, there are no bad jobs just bad attitudes,

it really pisses me off when people say they're poor and complain about everything, when we moved here there was a muddle up with my dads qualifications and for the first year here we lived in a 1 bedroom flat between 4 of us and my dad worked as a cleaner and janitor while he did a year training here to become a high ranking police officer again, he didn't turn his nose up at the jobs or travelling 3/4 hours a day on the underground to get to his work then training, we were renting in an expensive area that ate up all of mums wages and for the first couple of months we had to make our own bread at home as we couldn't afford to buy it, they now do really well but only because they fought really had to get where they were, my dad was one of 9 siblings and worked hard to get bursary into a top police academy, I wouldn't call my parents rich or poor just people that work hard to get where they want, rich for me is someone that doesn't have to work for a living

I read something somewhere that if you have money in the bank, food in your cupboards and a roof over your head, you are richer than 80% of the world's population. I think it was 80% anyway, definitely a high percentage.

I actually think its 90%

Never mind your £100 trainers and your £200 smart phone you are organising your riots on!

Well I have No money in the bank until monday, none, infact one of my accounts is in overdraft :wacko:we had big spends this month, and i know we are lucky we are able to do that. I know I am lucky that we can ask the bank for massive overdrafts (well massive to some people anyway £3000). I think its shocking these companies that operate pay day loans and such like, have you seen the APR??? arh! that is criminal.

I think the devide exits in people's mind, people will always get greener grass syndrome and some will look at others and see things in comparison to their own life, someone who you might consider to be rich could be in lots of debt for their lifestyle, could have sacrificed a lot to get there or might actually be struggling, I believe anyone can make a go of themselves if they want to, there are no bad jobs just bad attitudes,

it really pisses me off when people say they're poor and complain about everything, when we moved here there was a muddle up with my dads qualifications and for the first year here we lived in a 1 bedroom flat between 4 of us and my dad worked as a cleaner and janitor while he did a year training here to become a high ranking police officer again, he didn't turn his nose up at the jobs or travelling 3/4 hours a day on the underground to get to his work then training, we were renting in an expensive area that ate up all of mums wages and for the first couple of months we had to make our own bread at home as we couldn't afford to buy it, they now do really well but only because they fought really had to get where they were, my dad was one of 9 siblings and worked hard to get bursary into a top police academy, I wouldn't call my parents rich or poor just people that work hard to get where they want, rich for me is someone that doesn't have to work for a living

100% agree with you :flower:

For me thats who the "rich" are too.

i think richness is in the eye of the beholder, i would class my FIL as rich but he worked hard and deserves his money. currently i would class us as poor because we have to rely on benifits to top up OH's income so we can live.
I think i would stop classifying us as poor when we are bringing in enough money not to rely on the goverment for assistance and to have spare cash at the end of the month to save for holidays and stuff. but there is a long way from there to being rich!

sadly the finnaces of some familys mean that it isnt possible to easily get off benefits and goverment support primarally because in most cases they are in debt with high interest so even when they have more money it gets swallowed up. its crazy the debt people get into even when they already owe alot to give their kids the newest coolest stuff for birthdays and christmases. and they struggle all year to manage that debt when they could have avoided it by just teaching their kids a good work ethic and that you get what you want when you have saved up and earnt it not get it now pay for it forever as so often happens

Well I have No money in the bank until monday, none, infact one of my accounts is in overdraft :wacko:we had big spends this month, and i know we are lucky we are able to do that. I know I am lucky that we can ask the bank for massive overdrafts (well massive to some people anyway £3000). I think its shocking these companies that operate pay day loans and such like, have you seen the APR??? arh! that is criminal.

No we haven't got money in the bank either, but we do have some available overdraft left, does that count as having money? :wacko:
I'm always shocked at those pay day loans! I think the APR was like 1000% or something? Shocking, I don't see why they're allowed to operate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->