Poppy or Marnie

Littlemisspea

Reaction score
Hi ladies

So we have our girl's name down to Poppy or Marnie.

We're completely split. One day we wake up and think, yep definitely Poppy. The other, we're convinced by Marnie.

Any constructive thoughts would be great ;)

X

They are both nice enough, but I much prefer Poppy:flower:. I know its more common than Marnie, but I am put off by the name Marnie by association, so its purely due to personal preference for me :shrug:

Unfortunately, I'm the same as MUMOF5. I prefer Poppy not only because I do think it's cuter, but the only Marnie I know is a crackhead so I'm a bit biased against the name!

Thanks ladies. It's always a bugger when you're put off by a name because of association.

We're still split! He he. X

Is Marnie short for something? I like Poppy but I guess it may be popular where you are. Where I live Poppy is another term for Grandpa so there are no little girl Poppy's.

I agree with d_b.
I'm from Canada as well, and to me "Poppy" sounds like what someone would call their grandfather. It would be like me telling you that I had named my daughter "Nan" , or some other common grandparent nickname in the UK.

I can't imagine anyone giving the name Poppy to a little girl for that reason, but this is through my own association and experiences. This probably wouldn't ever be a problem for your daughter unless she were to meet people from this side of the world

So needless to say, I vote for Marnie. I think its very cute. :)

Keep them both in your mind, add middle names to them both (if your planning in them having them) and then wait until she's born!! Chances are you will have chosen by then; taking the pressure off really helps!!

Im sorry if my answer was too harsh. I wanted to change it slightly. I asked a few moms at my moms group today what they thought of the name Poppy, and they thought it was cute.

So the 'grandfather' association might just be me, or a select few - but its not everyone. :) Ultimately, go with the name that means most to you. :flower:

Marnie - sounds like it could stand the test of time and is cute, unusual but not silly

sorry, but I dislike Poppy with a passion, to me its just not a name (same with Daisy) as a 30 year old Poppy is silly and childish IMHO

Peggy, Milly, Lottie etc.... is similar to Poppy and cute and can be a nickname of many other names that sound more adult as the child grows

good luck

My little girl is called Poppy (after the flower) and I've not met any other children with it yet. I think it's very sweet and cute whilst they are little but I also think its a great name for a 20 or 30 something year old too. My best friend is Daisy and its so lovely and laid back being named after a flower :)
But I'm biased
X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"