Porridge - oooooooh need some help please

charlie07

Reaction score
I really need some help girls.

I have never personally had porridge before so have no idea how to cook it!!

I have just tried this morning using the microwave. Gabbi is not taking all her milk and is waking at 12 - 1am hungry so I have to get her to take more of it! She only needs another 90 ml and she sleeps till morning!

So I have done 2 attempts this morning. Followed the instructions but reduced them as I really don't need to make so much, PLUS my scales have broke so can't measure.

They are The Cooperative Porridge Oats. It says put 75 g of porridge mixed with 560 ml of milk and cook on the following times and temps.

Well 560 ml of milk is way too much. So what do I do??? Just tried a very small amount of porridge with about 90 ml of milk and it's gone sticky, fow, horrible. I was going to mix in a cube of apple, but really not going to bother.

Can any porridge lovers out there give me some help and tips please?

Thanks girls

Ok so I think porridge is the same as our oatmeal correct? If so the ratio is 2 to 1, so 2 units of liquid to 1 unit of oatmeal. I buy it in bulk rather than the little packets so I can make just what I need instead of wasting any, plus I can flavor it up myself then. I make it with juice and fresh fruit, milk, water, anything the boys love it. Just put say 1 cup of oats and 2 cups of water in a pan, cook it on medium-medium high stirring occassionaly until it thickens up and it's done

Thank you so much for your reply.

I have no idea if it's the same as your oatmeal, not a clue! I have Ready Brek and Weetabix but she is just not interested, in fact, she almost makes herself sick by gagging! Don't know what her problem is personally!! lol

Well I will try again tomorrow.

One question, if it's 2 to 1, could I get away with, e.g. 1 tablespoon porridge to 2 tablespoons of milk??? I really don't want to make so much yet as if she doesn't like it she won't eat and it's a waste of food!

Thank you again for your help

Yes I'm sure you could, that way would have to be in the microwave I'm sure though...not enough for a pan, I do mine on the stove top. Here is a pic of oatmeal raw so you can see if it's the same

https://shermanheart.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/oatmeal.jpg

Here there are 2 versions, quick cooking and rolled oats...if it's the same I would do the quick cooking for microwave, it's also a bit smaller so smoother texture than the rolled oats

Is it proper porrige oats rather than ready brek stuff hun? If so they need quite a bit more liquid. We just moved to oats (you're correct it's oatmeal MO3 ;) ) and it's been trial and error here too.

Ready brek needs almost half the liquid coz it basically the sweepings up left over from the proper stuff! :lol: Proper porrige is coarse and takes longer to absorb the milk.

I've tried doing half the measurements suggested, then doing the same but soaking the oats in the mil before cooking them, in a pan, in the microwave (out of desperation as I HATE the microwave!! ) and this morning in water and milk and then straining the oats and adding to some baby porrige to give it texture!! :dohh:

I bought organic ones and they are the jumbo oats - I made a mistake there. I think they are TOO big. I want something between Ready Brek and jumbo really....the search continues.....

I'm gonna use the rest for flapjacks!!! :rofl:

I usually add more milk part way through if its running dry when cooking, rather that than too much milk and it ends up all sloppy and horrid :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->