Positive Elective Csection

Sarahcake

Mummy to Logan <3
Reaction score
Hey ladies,

I know this is something that I was trying to find when I was facing the possibility of an elective section.

I had mine today at 38 weeks gestation due to an Ulcerative Colitis flare up and I wanted to share my experience. Hopefully it can help someone out there.

We arrived at the designated area at 7am this morning. We were greeted by a lovely midwife who took us through to a room where she listened in on baby and went back through my paperwork and consent that I had signed previously.

From here, she informed us that we were first on the list but the time wouldn't be until a bit later than usual as there had been a few labours turn into emergency sections and understandably, they needed doing first.

We mooched around until 10:30 where we had courtesy calls from the midwives, HCAs, consultants and consultant anaesthetist. At half 10 we were told they were ready for us.

We were already changed at this point so we took a walk to theater where we were greeted by every person in the room and had their role explained fully to us which was a really nice touch.

I was asked to sit on the edge of the bed whilst monitoring was put up and the anaesthetist put in a cannula. The guy was lovely however and gave me a local anaesthetic first to numb the area as it is quite a thick guage needle uses. From there he attached Hartman's fluids to keep my blood pressure nice and level.

He then moved onto my back, feeling away for the best access point, talking me and my partner through everything at the same time. He gave me a shot of anaesthetic and gave it time to work. He explained it would be a little stingy and he was right, although completely copable. I could feel him press on my back and tell me that I would feel some pressure here and there, and then nothing. I asked him if he was about to put the block in and it turns out he had just done it!

I could feel my legs start to go warm now, so the staff helped me to lay down and get comfy whilst the "anaesthesia cooked" in the mean time they cleaned up down below and popped in a catheter which I didn't feel a thing of.

By the time this was inserted, the surgeons were ready to go. Mr anaesthetist tested my numbness levels with ice and I was surprised at how little I could feel in such a short space of time!

My partner was sat next to me the whole time through this talking me through it which was wonderful.

Next the go was given to begin and the curtain was raised. I could feel all kinds of tugging and things going on but no pain, not for one moment. I hadn't realised that she had cut me until I was wide open and only then it was because she told me!

There was a lot of tugging and pushing which felt very bizzare, like someone was trying to find something lost in their handbag &#128514; but again, no pain at all.

About 5 minutes later, I hear a gush of waters and the screen is bought down which is where we were able to watch our daughter being bought into the world, a sight I will never ever forget!

With that, she was taken to the newborn table thing, placenta attached as they practice delayed cord clamping at my hospital. My partner was invited over to cut the cord and meet his daughter. At this point, she would usually have been bought over to me but I started to suffer a bit of sickness and lightheadedness. My blood pressure had gone a bit squiffy, so baby girl stayed with daddy for the duration of me being put right and stitched up, which was about 20 minutes. I was desperate for a cuddle but I just wouldn't have been able to feeling so lightheaded.

I met them in recovery shortly afterwards where I had been stabilised and then I had all the skin to skin I could have wanted. I was moved from there up onto the ward with another lady and that's where I am now.

All in all, it really was a very positive experience, with the exception of the bit at the end and that was nobody's fault. I was treated with dignity and respect the entire time I was in that theatre and I continue to be now on the ward.

Pain wise, I've been sat out of bed and gone for a walk after 7 hours rest and I'm currently in no pain whatsoever from the site.

Little lady is perfect in every single way and I'm very thankful that my delivery was as brilliant as it was.

I hope that has managed to place some worries away for someone at least.

Time for me to go to sleep!

Ahh what a lovely update! Thankyou and congrats!

Sounds a lot like my first section, all the staff were lovely and it all went smoothly, didn't get to hold her as I was a bit sick like you but all in all went well but the fact it was an 'emergency' (of sorts) it was much more rushed and I felt panicked. So am hoping for a better one this time around.

I'm so glad you had a great experience and thanks for sharing! X

Congrats on your baby girl.

Thanks for sharing your story. I'm feeling very anxious as I am facing a c-section next week.

Thank you for sharing. And congrats!

Congrats! Lovely birth story of your little lady &#55357;&#56842; x

Thank you ladies, im glad I've been able to bring a bit of reassurance at least. I'm coming up 3 days after now and I'm not feeling too bad, i will say it is very easy to forget you've just been through a serious surgery and overdo it a bit. I'm having a day to myself today as I'm a bit sore but I did go out and wander around Asda yesterday so thats what you get for being a bit stubborn &#128514;

Harley is doing amazingly well and were very much in love here, whilst having the csection does obviously limit things in terms of what you can do, I've not found that it has hindered my ability to parent, so that is another positive to take away :)

Attachments

• IMG_20180116_103910__01.jpg
    IMG_20180116_103910__01.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20180117_103923.jpg
    IMG_20180117_103923.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 10
:)

I also had a super smooth scheduled c-section last time. I didn't get to hold baby until recovery due to vomiting, so my DH held him which was fine.

I am not worried about the procedure or recovery this time, more that I have a 2-year-old at home who is a big snugglebug and it will be tough explaining to him that I can't pick him up and will be tough running after him during the first 2-3 weeks. After that I think should get easier.

Thank you very much for your story, it&#8217;s very reassuring as I also want an elective c section as I&#8217;m petrified of the giving birth bit but my consultant and other professionals at the hospital are trying to convince me to have a natural birth with early epidural instead and after many meetings I still feel like I want an elective
For a few reasons really, as my sister had several failed epidurals and needed in an emergency c section anyway and came out worse then a natural birth would have been or a pre planned c section.
And our bodies are exactly the same and had the same symptoms of pregnancy, well lack of them we are 6 years apart but could basically be body twins lol

Thank you for this, I am terrified of having a section but it's my only option, my last birth was a absolutely brutal emergency section, it was a scene from a horror film! But I'm currently 7 weeks pregnant with our third... Panicking already!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->