Positive HPT & Negative Blood test??

TNT13

Reaction score
I got my blood work back from the lab that we had to double check the faint BFP that we had, and it came back negative. I've posted the test and tweeked them myself and everyon says they are BFP, how could my blood come back negative?? If you need HCG to make the HPT positive, wouldn't the blood work show the same? I might be grasping for straws here, but could it be to soon to show up on blood work? I'm thinking no, because blood work is the most sensitive I thought. I knew I shouldn't have gotten my hopes up and I knew I shouldn't have told DH this morning. I'm completly crushed and devistated, and any other terrible feeling I could have right now.

My period is now 5 days late. Here are my tests.

Attachments

• canvas.png
    canvas.png
    246.8 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20140121_233251_zpsc78ae1ec.jpg
    IMG_20140121_233251_zpsc78ae1ec.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 12
An FRER detects hcg as low as 6 miu. A blood test might be considered inconclusive if the reading is under 25, however.

Two things:
1) You may be having a chemical and the hcg is still metabolizing into your urine while it is no longer in your blood.
2) You may have only JUST caught the beginning of hcg production and your dr's office does not recognize it as pregnant until the quantitative value is over a certain level.

My advice would be to retest tomorrow and just see if the line is getting darker. At this point in pregnancy, hcg levels should double every 48 hours, so if you think about it, your line should be twice as dark every 2 days.

If your line gets lighter tomorrow, then it's most likely a chemical. If it gets darker, then you probably just went in for a blood test too soon and it didn't meet their minimum number.

blood test only detects 25 or more when I had my blood checked it was right at 25

did your doctor give you a number for your test or just say it was negative? I just had this happen to me. My HPT was faintly positive and my beta blood test came back at 2 (not enough for even a faint hpt line). My doctor told me that LH or FSH can interfere with urine tests but not blood test. so if your LH or FSH levels went up, which can happen around ovulation or before AF, it can give you a false positive HPT but your blood test will come back negative. Sorry for your disappointment!

Did the line come up w/i the time limit? I've never read about a false positive on a frer unless it's read after the 10 minute mark. I think I would retest and see if line gets darker.

May just be a very early chemical. Your levels dropped before your blood work. Unfort its very common :(

Did they do qualative blood test or quantative blood test? Qualative takes your blood and removes the serum from it and puts it on an actual hpt and from what the lab workers have told me their tests are not very sensitive. A qualative test is more extensive because it tells you how much hcg is in your blood and different doctors have different standards for what they consider positive. My dr. Says positive if it is 10 or more. Some are 20 some are 25, it just depends on the clinic. I would call and ask them which test they did and if it was quantative ask them what your number was. You have a right to know.

When was the blood test taken in relation to the frer, before or after?

I did the FRER on Tuesday the day before I had the blood test done. It was a Qualitative blood test. I took another test this morning with FMU and it was completely starch white. I'm guessing it was a chemical.

I'm sorry but it does sound like a very early loss;( so sad.

Sorry. I hope the next one is sticky :hugs:

blood test only detects 25 or more when I had my blood checked it was right at 25

Just wanted to add, my hcg level was picked up at 20, I was told it was " just positive " and needed a repeat which come back at 180

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->