Possibilities for home birth?

hayz_baby

Mummy to 3 boys!
Reaction score
I'm not pregnant but we are starting to think about ttc no2. When I was pregnant With my first I thought about home birth but I don't think I was ready and oh wasn't keen on the idea (IMO fair enough both parties have to be comfortable plus he has anxiety issues) anyway I had lo in hospital as my area doesn't have a midwife led unit nearby and we don't drive. It wasn't particularly bad but it wasn't how I wanted it. I knew I wanted freedom to move in my labour. I specified I wanted baby's heartbeat to be checked with the Doppler. Our room had a bath so I wanted to mix between walking and sitting in he bath.. I couldn't stay still for too long and my legs and bum would go numb! Anyway interventions happened ad I ended up strapped on the bed with a drip and being continuously monitored. Lo had problems coming out and was born via vontouse. The reason is because he was too big for me. I'm quite petite and lo was 9lb the consultant who delivered him said he wasn't coming out by himself. He was in distress and did his first bowel movement inside me. Even after all of this giving birth has givens the confidence to do it again. I honestly think it wasn't that bad. I didn't like how the intervention happened though but to be fair it was needed. I was pushing for over two hours before they had to step in. I have mentioned to oh he possibility of a home birth.. I showed him a checklist of benefits and he agreed with a lot of them. He is defineatly warming to the idea (i do want him to be comfortable) but I feel more ready.. I guess my question is I worry about the last labour coz lo was big.. I could quite easily have another big baby so the same complications could arise... I guess that scares me.. My pregnancy was low risk but looking back and knowing more than I do baby's size wasn't monitored properly and I know this time I will make sure it's done properly. Anyone have and experience is it possible? Reassurance maybe?
Thanks for reading my ramble x

I've chose a home birth after a similar experience (no ventouse - they did a manual collarbone break instead). I have a hard time believing that my petite body couldn't properly push out this 9lb+ baby (I pushed 4 hours), if I had been properly mobile without being stuck on my back strapped down with monitors.

The question is... forcing out a baby on drip and being in the worst optimal position, is that the real cause? Is it really just because your body couldn't do it? Or is it because all those interventions really caused it?

IMO it was the interventions for me, so I'm doing it without them this time (and going to section if it truly comes down to any medical intervention). Only you can answer that question for yourself :hugs: I had a team meeting with midwives who all came to my conclusion.

IThe question is... forcing out a baby on drip and being in the worst optimal position, is that the real cause? Is it really just because your body couldn't do it? Or is it because all those interventions really caused it?

WSS!

I had a section (foetal distress and meconium in waters) but was in a similar situation. The drip and being on your back have more to do with the problem than the size of your baby. Women's bodies are amazing and are designed to push babies out. In a better position your pelvis could spread more and a more upright position would allow gravity to help. Have faith in your body :)

What the other ladies have said is so true. It's very, very rare to not have a pelvis big enough to push out your baby, but it does happen quite often that women are told this was the case for them because doctors don't want to admit that their interventions actually caused the baby to not progress as quickly as they might have liked.

If you are concerned about this though, do all the research you can on things you can do to made birth easier. In addition to things like being upright, mobile, being relaxed and not hooked up to machines, there are some techniques you can discuss with your midwives (or your partner can learn) to facilitate what seems like a 'stuck' baby. One that Ina May Gaskin recommends is the pelvic press. Look it up and learn how/when to use it. (Btw, I'd also highly recommend her Guide to Childbirth - it's been so helpful and encouraging!).

It sounds to me like even if you really did need interventions it wasn't a true emergency in the sense that you or the baby were at risk if you didn't get help within minutes. You were pushing for two hours before they stepped in that is ample time for a midwife at a home birth to decide things are moving too slowly and that it might be better for you to be monitored in hospital. As long as you live within a reasonable distance of the hospital slow progress of birth is not really a risk at a home birth because you can just be transferred to hospital if needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->