Possible elective c-section..

xOMichaelaOx

Reaction score
hi ladies, a bit of a back story first, I have previously given birth naturally, but a student midwife has discussed a possible elective c section with me. The reasons being I had pre eclampsia with my first, gestational diabetes, and also cholestasis. I was induced at 6am but had an allergic reaction to the gel they inserted so was removed shortly after and had a s+s. Contractions started after a few hours so continued labouring. By 9pm the contractions were v painful and I asked for pain relief but was refused and told it could take up to 3 days to have my daughter, was given a sleeping tablet and panadol. By midnight after requesting they check how dialated I was for a few hours they finally checked and I was 7 and a half cm. By 10am I was finally ready to push, but midwife was worried about baby's heart rate so attached a monitor to her head, and it was dropping to around 30bpm so said get her out right now. It was very frightening! Apparently her heart rate had been dropping for a while and I heard them saying I should have been taken in for a c sec hours before. When she came out she had mecconium all over her and it was all over me. So I was just wondering, if anyone had opted for/asked for an elective due to anything like this? Student midwife is adamant they will agree based on previous medical history alone.

You poor thing! Glad both of you ended up being ok in the end. I have not had anything like this happen to me but I will say that if you'd feel more comfortable opting for an elective C-section this time, I would tell them and then put it in your birth plans so that L&D know. I'm not sure how Australia is but here in the states they can't deny you a C-section if you request one. I've known plenty of people that have done it. Good luck! Hopefully this birth goes smoothly this time, whatever you decide to do. xx

Hi hun! My experience is slightly different to yours in the way I had an emergency c-sec with my 1st not a vaginal delivery. When you have an emergency c-sec at Monash Hospital in Melbourne they allow you to have an elective section for other pregnancies.
I had an ordeal the 1st time around resulting in the surgery so I elected to do another section this time.
I have the date booked so it's been super handy to organise everything around that, and I am hopeful I have just as good of an experience as I did the 1st time re the recovery. I'd stopped taking pain meds after the 1st week and was up and walking with the pram by week 2. I am also on the larger side of the scale and thought that might hinder my recovery but it made no difference at all.
Best of luck to you :D

I would think with your history that getting a c-sec if you wanted one would be an option for you.
While a lot of women do recover from an elective quick.. that wasn't my case. Not trying to scare you away from it, just wanted to say that recovery from an elective one can still be pretty damn rough and long.
My 2nd took just as long to recover from as my first. I'd do it again and in fact am w/ this 3rd one though :)

my recovery with my csection was smooth and quick I hope this time around its the same ...

hope you get to have a csection

I had a planned c-section with my first and emergency c-section with my second.

A planned c-section was a breeze. It was a lovely experience, quite an easy recovery.

Emergency c-section was hell. They say, the longer you are into labour, the more dangerous and unpleasant it may be...

So, if you have an option of having an elective one and a high risk of ending up with an emergency, I would definitely go for an elective one.

Good luck

yes, i have asked my doctor for an elective c section. my first baby i pushed for 4 hours, had vacuum assistance and winded up with 40+ stitches and a humungous tear.

My story is a little different in that my first bub had shoulder dystocia. They have recommended I have a planned c-section this time.

I'm in australia. If you are going public, they normally do try to push the natural labour! It wouldn't hurt to ask though..

You poor thing! Glad both of you ended up being ok in the end. I have not had anything like this happen to me but I will say that if you'd feel more comfortable opting for an elective C-section this time, I would tell them and then put it in your birth plans so that L&D know. I'm not sure how Australia is but here in the states they can't deny you a C-section if you request one. I've known plenty of people that have done it. Good luck! Hopefully this birth goes
smoothly this time, whatever you decide to do. xx

In Australia if you are going to a public hospital they won't just allow you to have one. If you are going to a private hospital they will.

You poor thing! Glad both of you ended up being ok in the end. I have not had anything like this happen to me but I will say that if you'd feel more comfortable opting for an elective C-section this time, I would tell them and then put it in your birth plans so that L&D know. I'm not sure how Australia is but here in the states they can't deny you a C-section if you request one. I've known plenty of people that have done it. Good luck! Hopefully this birth goes
smoothly this time, whatever you decide to do. xx

In Australia if you are going to a public hospital they won't just allow you to have one. If you are going to a private hospital they will.

Thats not true everywhere
Im in SA and i had an elective with my first.....
I have been told theres a possibility i have a genetically narrow pelvis due to medical notes but im adopted so i cant confirm it.

I chose after having a friend the week before i got pg whos baby had shoulder displaysia to have an elecitive...
They were fine with this in the public system... no problems at all and respected my chice...

It was planned and wonderful and u got to request skin on skin immediately same as a natural and i got it. It was fantastic. Recovery was a breeze... i was home after 48 hours and doing dishes lol.
I had no dramas and i am prett certain i will do it again this time.

OK well maybe its hospital to hospital then? We can't just choose to have a c-section.

Buffy- I also had shoulder dystosia with my first. I have been referred to the consultant who wants me to have a growth scan at 32 weeks and then from that they will talk about my options. Are you def going for a section this time? I really don't know what I'd prefer! XXXX

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->