Possible Gestational Diabetes?

Equreuil

Reaction score
Yesterday, I did a 1 hour glucose tolerance test, and today, I got a call back saying the results were high. So now I have to do the 3 hour one. My appointment for it isn't until the 13th, so I have over a week to freak out and worry.

Anyone know what I have in store if I fail the 3 hour test? Or tips on what I could do between now and then that might help me pass?

I have GD and most people who end up with it can treat it with diet and exercise alone. Google GD diet to see what you're in store for if you fail... it's really not as bad as I thought it was going to be. I can pretty much eat anything I want in the appropriate size... even cravings. For exercise, a short walk after a meal is like a magic pill that helps control your blood sugar. It's not anything to worry yourself over if you are diagnosed with it.

I would just start the GD now. Try to stay away from simple carbs/ sugars and eat a balance of carbs and protein with fat.

I have GD and most people who end up with it can treat it with diet and exercise alone. Google GD diet to see what you're in store for if you fail... it's really not as bad as I thought it was going to be. I can pretty much eat anything I want in the appropriate size... even cravings. For exercise, a short walk after a meal is like a magic pill that helps control your blood sugar. It's not anything to worry yourself over if you are diagnosed with it.

That makes me feel better. I already need to start taking walks, anyway, as my MW did get on my case (for the 1st time in 6 months) about weight gain.

Its common to fail the one hour. Make sure you eat a snack with carbs.before you goto bed the night before. I made the mistake of not eating. After supper and failed miserably. My fasting bloods have been perfectly fine otherwise. Avoid white rice. Even if you arent diabetic i guess its bad! Its the only thing. That gives me ekevated readings.

I have the same comment as Bethi. It's really not as bad as I thought it was going to be. I almost feel like it was a blessing in disguise because I was eating healthier and exercising (which i wasn't before, just being a lazy prego and eating and lounging lol)

Its common to fail the one hour. Make sure you eat a snack with carbs.before you goto bed the night before. I made the mistake of not eating. After supper and failed miserably. My fasting bloods have been perfectly fine otherwise. Avoid white rice. Even if you arent diabetic i guess its bad! Its the only thing. That gives me ekevated readings.

I don't really do a lot of rice, anyway (no one in my home cares for it much)... but recently started making more of an effort to use brown rice instead for those rare occasions I do make it.

The tip about a snack with carbs is good, though. I'll try to keep it in mind.

Well hopefully you pass the 3 hour and don't have to deal with GD at all... But it's not that bad. The hardest thing for me has been giving up sweets. But if you have the help of a dietician to find out what foods set your blood sugar off, then it might be easy to control just by diet changes, and adding a few short walks in during the day. That's how it is for me, since 28 weeks.

I failed the 1 hour and passed the 3 hour easily. I thought for sure I would fail the 3 hour as well but didn't. It's common

I have just been diagnosed with this. I am in the hospital for other reasons. But I can eat basically the same things, just smaller portions. So far i'm not taking meds, just diet and exercise.

I flunked the 1 hour test, but passed the 3 hour. Nevertheless, I cut out all sweet deserts and juices/sweet drinks, just in case.

No worried. I Possible Gestational Diabetes as well but Dr. told me it's will go after baby born you just have to becareful about what you eat for now. I cut off a lot of sweet stuff. Still eat it but less than last time avoid some fat and I love rice I usually eat 3 times a day but now I just eat 1 or 2 times and less than half I use to eat. Eat more fruite apple really good and more vegetable and you will be o.k.

No worried. I Possible Gestational Diabetes as well but Dr. told me it's will go after baby born you just have to becareful about what you eat for now. I cut off a lot of sweet stuff. Still eat it but less than last time avoid some fat and I love rice I usually eat 3 times a day but now I just eat 1 or 2 times and less than half I use to eat. Eat more fruite apple really good and more vegetable and you will be o.k.

Fruits are really high in sugars. So make sure to check their sugar/carb content and eat only a serving size amount

Yeah I wouldn't just "eat more fruit". Personally I'm good with apples, strawberries, pineapples and mangoes... But bananas and oranges really spike my sugar. And try to pair your fruit with a little protein like some cheese or peanut butter.

Agreed about the "eat more fruit" bit by the other 2 posters above me. Fruits such as grapes in addition to bananas and oranges spike my sugars so I'd avoid that too, however, apples, pears, strawberries etc. are fine.

Unfortunately it's a trial and error type of thing. Foods that make one persons sugars spike, wont make the next persons. It's very individualized :/ makes it a little harder, but you'll be able to eat things you didn't think you would, and vice versa. GL

Unfortunately it's a trial and error type of thing. Foods that make one persons sugars spike, wont make the next persons. It's very individualized :/ makes it a little harder, but you'll be able to eat things you didn't think you would, and vice versa. GL

Yes! Like, I can eat pizza!! Never thought I'd be able to eat that. And chocolate fondu. I do wish I could eat bananas though. I miss my peanut butter and banana for breakfast :(

3 slices of pizza made my numbers jump up - but yet I can eat a whole order of cheese sticks from Papa Johns (which is basically pizza without the sauze - it's just bread and cheese) and my numbers were perfectly fine! I can also eat chinese food without a problem! I even ate a frozen TV dinner and drank a Red Bull (regular, not sugar/carb free) and my numbers were in the 70s! But a spicy chicken sandwich from Wendy's (which is one of my favorite things ever lol) made my numbers jump up. I've been really surprised with the things I can/can't eat. GD is nothing like I expected, it's really easy to manage with portion control and just a walk.

I have been diagnosed with GD and I have been put on a very strict, boring diet. I have to test my sugar 4 times a day and have been doing it for about a week now. I have noticed that typically only my morning numbers are a little bit high and the food is not changing that at all. :cry: It's very frustrating. I am hoping you don't have to deal with it, I'll be honest it sucks!!

I have been diagnosed with GD and I have been put on a very strict, boring diet. I have to test my sugar 4 times a day and have been doing it for about a week now. I have noticed that typically only my morning numbers are a little bit high and the food is not changing that at all. :cry: It's very frustrating. I am hoping you don't have to deal with it, I'll be honest it sucks!!

are you eating a higher carb snack before bed?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->