Possibly missing one kidney, Remaining kidney dilated

sethsmummy

mum to 3 beautiful boys
Reaction score
hey ladies just wondering if anyone has had the same thing

I had my anomoly re-scan yesterday at 25+5 and the tech could only find one kidney. On that kidney the valves are all dilated. Im back in in 2 weeks for a scan with the consultant where we will find out more.

we are hoping it was just a position problem with not seeing the second kidney although she looked a couple of times. and hoping that the dilation goes away by itself xx

Obviously I don't have any experience with this but I am keeping everything crossed for you that everything is okay <3

Its not exactly the same but a kidney issue was picked up on my 20 week ultrasound.
Had a rescan yesterday with consultant and his one kidney is fine but the other is a double kidney and its the extra part that makes it a double that isnt working to well. The consultant was happy his other kidney was in perfect condition and everything else was perfect aswell.
She said all that will happen when hes born is he will be put on antibiotics and will more than likely need a scan to see a bit better whats going on.
During the time before rescan I spent ages looking online for the outcome and a person can easily survive on one kidney.
What made me feel better was the fact the consultant said that years ago when the scans wernt so detailed so many babies wouldve had the same but it would never of been picked up.
Although its not the same im hoping this can give you reassurance :)
X

I'm not pregnant now, but I do have only 1 functional kidney due to problems with the valve as a child, which I only found out about 2 years ago. I am also a nephrology (kidney nurse), although this is probably more of a Urology thing. What can happen is that urine can back up into the kidney if there is a problem with the valve. I wouldn't worry too much at this point since you don't know anything for sure until your next scan. I'm guessing you have had a ton of recent blood tests run and as long as your creatinine level is normal (marker of kidney function), then your kidney(s) should be working fine.

thanks Shilo :hugs:

tjayne07 - thank you hun! I managed to find a proper hospital information leaflet on it and read about the scans to check function/antibiotics etc after baby is born :) Im so much more reassured now than i was when i first found out.

Pruili01 - thank you hun :hugs: its not me that has issues though.. its baby :) But thank you so much.

I really do feel so much better now i know how common the dilation can be and that he wont have any problems with only one kidney :) xx

The original sonographer told me and she said not to worry about it but as only natural I worried lol. I did google alot though and it was the same thing.
Then once the consultant had told me the same things and reassured me that he'll be fine I started to be less worried then as I know he'll be fine bar the kidney which shouldnt affect his life a great deal x

Not been in the exact same boat as we only found out when DS was 4 weeks old. He had Posterior Urethral Valves causing reflux, scarring and hydronephrosis. If you have any questions about the tests after birth etc feel free to ask/message me :) Oh and he's been on antibiotics since 4 weeks old and we still have, I think 1-3 more years on them. :)

And it can definitely fix itself, both Jason's kidneys were dilated and his left still is (only mild hydro) but his right looks completely normal :)

Claire - Thank you so much hun. Im glad he is doing well :D

tjayne - thank you! Luckily i have only come across positive things on my google search (official hospital leaflets) which has helped ease my worries.

Im looking forward to seeing the consultant to get more answers on his exact condition. :) Im not as worried as i was.. although i dare say on scan day ill be a nervous wreck. Hopefully if he only has the one kidney then the dilation is not severe :) xx

There are a good few groups on Facebook you could search for too, my PUV groups are a lifesaver sometimes!

thank you hun ill have a look for those depending on how the consultant scan goes :hugs: Thank you so much xx

My 5 year old has the same, she has one kidney missing and hydronephrosis in the other. She has 75% kidney function (chronic kidney disease stage2) she takes daily antibiotics and blood pressure meds as this has caused her to have quite high blood pressure. Sounds scary but she lives a perfectly normal life, just has to watch her salt intake and drink plenty of water.

We had lots of scans with a consultant before she was born and I'm sad to say that their 'worst case scenario' was very wrong and she was more poorly initially than they had falsely prepared us for. I wish I had clued myself up a little more and would have questioned them further. I don't want to scare you but kidney issues are a marker for other conditions, my daughters condition VACTERL being one of them. I wish I had made them check her heart and other organs so we knew before she was born but this was never done.

Hope all goes well for you xx

:hugs: Thank you so much for sharing your story hun.

im so sorry your little girl has additional problems. They checked the heart etc at my anomoly scan and all looked fine.

Thank you for your well wishes. Only a couple of days until our more detailed scan on the kidneys and urine tract.. im starting to get nervous now. xx

hi hun sorry i forgot to update here.

I had my scan and they managed to find both kidneys :D He said that one is borderline dilated but hes not in the slightest worried as since it had gone down since the scan before he thinks it will have gone completely by birth or just need a little check up after birth :D xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->