postpartum anxiety/depression?

IzzyNC

Reaction score
Thought this could be a place where we could share our experiences with postpartum depression and/or anxiety. This is something that is so much more common than people think, and has such a stigma attached. We should talk about it!

I had twin girls on April 1st by emergency c-section due to severe preeclampsia. I delivered 5 1/2 weeks early and my girls were in the special care nursery for about a week. I was also hospitalized for a week after my delivery due to continued high blood pressure that was so stubborn and would not come down! I was put on 2 blood pressure meds before I was discharged. All this was very traumatic for me, and I think this contributed to me developing postpartum depression and anxiety. I had my mom with me for the first 2 weeks we were home, but after she left, the sh*& hit the fan pretty much. DH was back to work so I was alone pretty much every day. One of my girls had terrible colic and screamed all day long. I was so incredibly overwhelmed, and also trying to recovery from everything surgery and preeclampsia. I knew early on that I wasn't feeling quite right, but I denied it. I thought, this can't happen to me! I'm strong! Well, it turns out I wasn't as 'strong" as I thought. I developed terrible insomnia, which is one of the #1 markers of postpartum depression. I ended up in the ER having a full blown panic attack after I had gone 5 days with zero sleep. I felt like I was dying and/or having a heart attack. I was discharged from the ER with meds for anxiety and sleep, as well as an antidepressant. But I continued to not sleep at home and my anxiety was escalating. I simply could not turn my brain off, I was constantly worried about my own health and the girls. I had become nonfunctional. I was ultimately admitted to the hospital in the postpartum psychiatric unit and stayed for a week so that I could be stabilized. I was discharged on some pretty heavy meds, and it's taken me a while to come to terms with the fact that I need the meds. Now I've just accepted it for what it is, and I'm just happy that I'm sleeping and I'm a happier mother. If any of you have similar stories or situations, please share and let's support one another!

Hi IzzyNC,

So sorry to hear about you postpartum depression and/or anxiety. I had after my eldest son sometime ago. My hormones went erratic and I had to take medicines. They helped a lot. I was also sent for counseling which helped a lot. You have suffered a lot and good that you are on this forum which is a great forum. Try to keep going you are doing good. All the very best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->