Potential Summer 2014 Wedding Bells

LynAnne

Mum to 2 Boys
Reaction score
I was hanging around this section of BnB about this time last year (generally complaining about not having money to have a wedding :haha:) and now I'm back again! Come summer 2014 we will have been engaged for three years and back then this was the year I actually really wanted to get married (before I was made redundant.) I'm not so fussed about a wedding anymore but I just want to be married!

We still have not set a date but we are now aiming for July/August 2014. Whilst I haven't booked anything (yet) I'm already starting to price things out and trying to keep things as cheap as possible. Planning on a registry wedding that will mean we can have up to 40 guests but will cost a fair bit already (£362). I have found a function hall at a local sports club that will let us hire the room for free so long as we spend £400 at the bar which, knowing my OH's family (and mine) should be achievable. We'll just have a buffet for our 40 guests then invite a few more for the evening.

I already have my dress and I'm trying to snap up dresses for my 5 bridesmaids who are my sisters in the sale as shops are welcoming in winter stock. Rings we plan on keeping cheap for the time being. I think that flowers, invitations and decorations can all be done for about £150 as my family and I are all pretty crafty!

The only place I can see real expenses is if we pay for kilts/suits, DJ, a photographer or transport. That is, unless I've forgotten something?

Last night I worked out that we have a budget of about £4k and so I am trying to work out how best to split the money for all the various bits and pieces for our special day.

As I said in my first post I already have my dress and whilst it needs minimal alterations, it's all paid for and therefore doesn't need factored into the budget. My sister wants to pay for the cake and my OH's aunt has volunteered to make the invites (she does so professionally) which also cuts down how much of the budget is spent, even if only minimally.

There will be about 40 day guests and more in the evening although I'm not sure just how many yet.

Is a wedding budget of £4k doable? Do you have any tips for cutting costs? Do you think it is possible for us to pull everything together for this summer (if we can get the date) or have we left it too late?

I had a budget of 4k, it's already way over that, lol. I think it depends how strict you on yourself, I'm not very good at it! Lol

I have 80 day guests and 150 in the evening so that's over 3k already, lol. My grandparents are paying £531 church fees and my other Nan is paying for our cake, which is good cus that I would be over 5k already! I bought my dress in the January sales, invitations came from Hallmark (pack of 10 for £1.49 :thumbsup: ) plus I found a photographer with reasonable prices. So I have tried to stick to a budget :)

I think we'll just go over 5k.

Xxx

Turns out our budget is closer to £5k which gives us a little more room. I know that it is easy to get carried away when planning a wedding but I've been mentally planning this for two & a half years, trimming it back every so often. I'm also quite good at sticking to a budget. So long as I'm in charge of expenditure we'll be ok. The OH isn't so good with money.

We are very fortunate that our families are happy to chip in and have offered to cover the cost of certain things which definitely helps. We couldn't do it without them.

My sister did hers for dead cheap. Do you have anyone with a nice car that you could use instead of hiring? Know anyone that could pull in a favournwith a band/dj? Things that you could ask for as wedding gifts. Also suits. My sister bought hers from matalan. They were really nice and saved her a fortune. I'm using artificial flowers to save money, and my bridesmaids are buying their own shoes and accessories. We're also using the cupcakes from our cake as wedding favours. There are tonnes of ways to save on a wedding. Happy planning xxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->