Potty Training - DD did a poo in potty but now wants nappies back on?

Jayneypops

Mum to 2 Fairy Princesses
Reaction score
Hi,

Our DD was 2 in April so for a few months we have been leaving her potty around the house and so she knows what its for.

Yesterday was warm so we left her with a nappy off in the afternoon while she played in the garden. Then at one point she came in the house sat on the potty said "Do it" to herself and when she stood up there was a wee and a poo in there. We were so excited and made a real fuss of her she loved it and was excited too! DH showed her how to flush it down the toilet, wash her hands etc.

I was planning on leaving her with a nappy off today too, but this morning she did a poo in her nappy and when I changed her she wouldn't stay with a nappy off, she wants a nappy on and when I remind her of the poo and wee she did yesterday, she claps and says "Wee and Poo!" but when I ask if she wants her nappy off she cries and says "No nappy on"????

Should I just let her keep her nappy on today and not keep asking her (I don't want to make her feel pressurised or anything) or will it undo the progress she made yesterday?
Should I persevere with asking her to use the potty today?

Thanks

I'd leave her nappy on. You can still ask her if she'd like to try using the potty every now and then - maybe she wants the security of knowing it's there. I think the worst thing you can do is pressure them so just leave her to do it in her own time. She'll want to eventually :) You could also look at pull-ups maybe, so she can take them down herself for the potty but it's still a nappy.

I'd leave her nappy on. You can still ask her if she'd like to try using the potty every now and then - maybe she wants the security of knowing it's there. I think the worst thing you can do is pressure them so just leave her to do it in her own time. She'll want to eventually :) You could also look at pull-ups maybe, so she can take them down herself for the potty but it's still a nappy.

Thanks, I think my gut feeling is to go with whatever she wants when it comes to this, it must be a daunting thing. We move house in 6 weeks so we would love to have cracked it by then but if not, its no big deal, as you say, I'm sure she'll do it when she's ready. At least now she knows what it feels like to go on the potty!

Our DD dabbled with the potty for months before she finally "got it". She would use the potty successfully at times, but have accidents when nappy free. Then, at 2y4m, one weekend when we were away for a wedding she was dry every time we took her to change her. So nursery took her out of nappies on the Monday and she's had almost no accidents since then. I much preferred the relaxed approach and it worked for ys!

^^ This.

We asked Jacob everyday/nappy change "nappy or pants?" Sometimes he opted for nappy, sometimes he opted for pants until he just decided pants everytime.

Sounds like my DD. She has gone in the potty a few times but she doesn't want to wear big girl panties. She's started sitting trying to go before her baths though which is a huge change.

I'd leave it on- my LO has known what a potty is for since after 2yrs. But she is not motivated to use it all the time (she'll go through phases she'll ask to sit on it- and other times she refuses when asked)- she has done a wee (and one tiny poo)- and both times it kinda freaked her out? Not sure why- maybe just feels odd? But it took a while after for her to want to sit on the potty again- and she usually insists on wearing a diaper. I just go with it. Least it's my approach- since I'm in no rush.

Just my two cents ;)

I would try to be encouraging without pressuring. I'd let her have the diaper, if that's what makes her comfortable. I'd ask her occasionally if she wanted to use the potty and maybe take her to the bathroom when I go, but I wouldn't force her. While changing her diaper, I'd say something like "you peed in your diaper. Maybe next time you can pee in the potty." I'd make sure to keep it positive with tone. Basically, I'd ride out the resistance but continue to send the message that the potty is the right place.

Please take my advice with a grain of salt. I only have experience potty training one child and she was not the same age range as your daughter.

Another thing you could do is have a set number of diapers left and show them to her and talk about how when the last of them is used up, there will be no more diapers. Show her the diapers and explain this at each change, then when you are all out, she's had lots of warning and she has no more diapers. She won't be happy about it, but if it's something you're comfortable with, it's an option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->