Powder vs. Ready-to-feed

wifey2013

Reaction score
I'm using concentrate now (adding water) for my LO. I was using ready to feed before. I'd like to start using powder formula because we go out for long periods and the concentrate doesn't last. It's only good for two hours. I feel like if I had my bottle with boiled water ready I could just mix in the formula as soon as he's hungry and not have to worry about his bottle going bad.

When did you switch to powdered formula, have you been using it since the beginning or not at all?

We only used the ready made for the first week, mainly because that's the type the hospital provided, and they sent us home with a case. We switched to powder after that without a problem (well, once we found the brand that suited her best!). :)

We used the Playtex bottles with the drop-in liners, so I'd just add the powder to the bottles before leaving the house, and take a container of water. Just had to add the water, shake, then serve. She preferred room temperature thankfully! :haha:

That's exactly what I want to do. They make us crazy here about the powder possibly containing bacteria and not to use it. But the ready-to-feed is a fortune, and the concentrate is a real hassle. My LO also likes room temperature, or sometimes even a bit cool. I've never really had to warm his bottles much.

Do you sterilize the bottles and nipples always? And are you still boiling the water?

I didn't sterilize (hot, soapy water or dishwasher) or boil water, but I know we have different guidelines down here. She was never sick (not even a mild cold) or had any issues with the formula or the bottles. :flower:

We used both - just used the same brand :) I boiled my water, but only sterilized once a week.

One tip - if you use the powder, a way you can help with contamination is to not keep the scoop in the container. We would pull it out and then wash it every time and keep it in a ziplock bag. That way we didn't use it with our hands and toss it back in with the powder.

I was always a fan of powder just because it lasted longer and it was cheaper. I just used bottled water when I was out

In France they tell us not to sterilise at all but to rinse everything with very hot water so that babies can build up their immunity. We also use bottled water but you need to check that they have a low mineral concentration. TBH DD1 and DD2 have never been ill until they starting crawling and putting goodness knows what in their mouths.

We started off with ready made at the hospital and quickly switched to powder with no problems. On the other hand, sometimes we take small cartons of ready made when we go on outings. DD2 now refuses to drink if it's ready made and only wants the powdered stuff- DD1 couldn't care less at the same age and would drink both.

I usually use powder right from birth and have never had an issue. Powder is definitely more convenient when you are on the go. I boil water for the day and keep it in a container to cool.

When I go out I put the water in a bottle and bring powder in a bag. When lo is hungry I just dump the powder in and shake. It is not necessary to heat the bottle because it is safe to serve at room temperature because the water is already boiled. Just make sure that lo is used to bottles at room temperature.

i used pre made for the first few days in hospital and then powder. if going out i take a flask of boiled water (put it in freshly boiled) and get a bottle of water. then when hes hungry i put 1/2oz boiling water in.. put powder in then shake then top upto required amount with the bottled water. instant bottle at room temp but still steralises the powder :)

I still steralise after every feed and will do till 6 months

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"