Pre-eclampsia, did you get it again?

We are TTC#2 and I had pre-eclampsia first time round - it was discovered at 25 weeks but I didn't have any midwife appointments between 16 and 25 weeks (just the 20 week scan when nothing else was checked) so I don't know when it actually started.

I'm interested to read this thread - I'm really really scared about a second pregnancy. We had a chat with the consultant who looked after me after I developed it with Sophie, and he said we should go for it....he said I would probably get it again at some stage but he thinks not so early, and not so severe. He said I'd be monitored so closely that I'd actually be safer next time round, and that I'd be on aspirin from day one. He also did a blood test to see if I am pre-disposed to pre-eclampsia and if I am, I'd get some other kind of medication from 12 weeks. I never got the results of that blood test and it was back in May, so I don't know if I'm pre-disposed or not!

Good luck to all you ladies! x

Ooooh I'll have to try that!
Can I ask when your bp went up in this pregnancy?
I'm just having a bad feeling mines going to misbehave the rest of the pregnancy.
X

My bp readings have been
3/8/12 120/70
18/9/12 128/76
27/9/12 120/68
11/10/12 127/77
29/11/12 137/83 <000 25 weeks
6/12/12 156/88
20/12/12 140/84

Thanks for that. Are you just on aspirin? What did the consultant say now it is staying high?
X

your welcome hun. He has said iv to now see my midwife weekly for bp/urine checks and will also be getting full blood works done every week including PCR to check liver function. Also to have another 2 growth scan sto keep an eye on baby.. one on the 17th jan then another on valentines day (14th feb).

It is just aspirin i am on at the moment.. there is no mention of any more medication xx

Thanks a lot. It gives me an idea for if my bp stays up as well as I'm really nervous about it :(

Dont worry hun im really nervous too. Id hate to be admitted on bed rest! but a lot of different hospitals have different ways of dealing with high bp. xx

I agree sethsmummy there does seem to be diff ways of dealing with pre e depending on the hospital. I was admitted for observation and rest.
It wasn't too bad, the worst thing for me was missing my daughter. And the steroid injections...ow!

Awww I'd miss my daughter like crazy too! How long were you in bedrest for and what was your bp? X

omg ouchies... i heard they hurt!

I would hate being admitted.. as you have to pay to be able to watch t.v and i wouldnt be able to afford it.. and also wouldnt be able to afford for dh to bring my son in to see me :( So i need to avoid it at all costs.

I was admitted a few times with my first and i hated it :( xx

I know! It's awful how you have to pay for tv especially if you have to stay for a while. I was in hospital a week when I was induced. It was crap! Bad nights sleep and all. Awful

In for four days, bp on admittance was 159/105 I think...around that figure. Went up and down crazily throughout.
Tv is 3.60 for 24hrs! Luckily I was in a ward with some nice chatty people. I could get up to go to the canteen and the toilet but they kept telling me to go to sleep and that I looked awful.
Hospitals are so HOT!! I could wring my pjs out in the morning ugh it was a shock to come home and put my heating on lol x

And the steroid jabs are deceptive..not too bad during but a couple of mins later BOOM theres the pain. My poor bum cheeks :haha:

yeah not so bad if you have some nice chatty people on your ward. I was admitted on the afternoon of the 3rd Dec, there were NO working bedside tv's! And the ladies i was on the ward with just kept themselves to themselves. It was the same after i had been induced etc back on another ward with baby and the other mums hardly said boo.. and again no working tellys. I was a wreck by the time i came home lol i broke down on the 6th and discharged myself and baby as they wouldnt give me a proper reason to keep us in. Constant noise all the time, every time you got your baby to sleep someone elses baby would wake up or they would be noisy. and sharing 1 toilet was real bad.

oooo ill remember that lol. I'v never had a steroid shot.. almost had to have one down below to help deal with pains i was getting a year after giving birth but i managed to skip those :haha: x

Well, I feel like today is a wee milestone for me :)

I'm 35+3 today which was the gestation I was with Lucie when I was admitted for the final time due to my preeclampsia. Whilst in hospital I developed pneumonia and was in High Dependancy for 24 hours when I was 36+1 and as a result they had to take me off Labetalol due to the breathing difficulties. At 36+3 as predicted, my blood pressure shot up and I was subsequently induced with pessary's, waters broke at 36+5 and delivered at 36+6.

So I'm feeling quite chuffed although I daren't count my chickens just yet. I have to go to daycare tomorrow for monitoring. Hopefully my blood pressure behaves itself. Although last night when I got in it was 163/93 :wacko: came down tho when I rechecked after an hour.

And my gosh I remember those steroid shots. I was totally naive when I got the first one and got the shock of my life when the pain hit lol xx

*sits trembling in the corner at the thought of one of these steroid shots*

Congratulations on hitting the milestone hun! Fingers crossed your bp was only up because you had been active and it behaves itself :) :hugs: xx

I developed severe pre-e and HELLP syndrome with my daughter. It took me 4 years to even consider having another child, I am now 25 weeks pregnant. OBGYN told me that u have about a 10% chance of it happening again. From what I have been reading, it seems a higher risk than that! So, I want to do my own little study on here.
What week did you develop pre-e (and HELLP if you developed it)?
When did you deliver?
Have/did you develop it/them again in subsequent pregnancy(ies)?
What week did it develop?
When did you deliver? Or if you have it now, what's the plan for delivery?

hey i had no signs of pre e last preg but ended up in labour at 39+5 ith bp of 170/110 i managed to get fully dilated so i had forceps delivery as test on baby came back abnorm. now preg again and due jst ovr year after prev preg. i have alot pre e signs not got ific diagnosis but i have twice weekly monitoring since 31 weeks scan at 32 +36weeks. put on bp meds at 32-33 weeks now 35+3 and not got word on delivery yet.
i was told last preg tht id be monitored more closly nxt preg ie i was to be seen by ob at 16,36 weeks but due too developing signs between 26-31 weeks i got extra care.
(have headaches, visual disturbances, occasional protein in urine which is increasing freguency now and recently i swear ive had chest pain an bp was borderline frm 20+weeks and at times high but next reading was ok until 30weeks were it was high on more than one occasion at a time bp now ok due to meds)
but as my due date gets closer the worse i feeel dont no wht tht means an today am in agony sore sides going from one to ther at rib height.

was started on asprin today as my ob jst found out its used lol

highest top num this preg is 156 an low one was 101 or 110

but my booking bp was 140/90 i was still high from prev preg
my son is now 11mnths

From what I hear there are huge differences in hosp mine (royal Alexandria) in Paisly tend to deliver rather than wait, with my first lo I was admitted and sectioned the following day, baby no 2 I managed to last 3 full days before delivery, hoping this time around I can go longer as I'm now on aspirin. My BP is always the last to rise, kidney/liver function away to pot and ++++protein etc as soon as my BP rises I'm sectioned at least f I had BP issues first the labetalol can bring it down and stall but by then my placenta is in tatters and organ failure is mere hours away :( I will stress I have an unrelated kidney defect from birth which they now think is weaker so not necessary pre-e related but ends up causing rapid severe pre-e xx

Well, had my appointment today with increase in meds but still no protein in urine :thumbup: so all good there!! My urine did show leukocytes so they going to send it away for testing as I may have urine infection :( to be honest tho, I kinda suspected that as I've had lots of pain in lower abdomen the last few days xx

aww no hun i hope you get the results quickly. Then again my hospital is bad for taking ages.. i had an appointment on tuesday and they sent mine away... heard nothing back yet :S I had Leukocytes, protein, nitrite and blood so probably an infection there.

Good to hear you still have no protein :thumbup: thats a good sign :) xxx

aww no hun i hope you get the results quickly. Then again my hospital is bad for taking ages.. i had an appointment on tuesday and they sent mine away... heard nothing back yet :S I had Leukocytes, protein, nitrite and blood so probably an infection there.

Good to hear you still have no protein :thumbup: thats a good sign :) xxx

Well, I'm back Thursday so hopefully they have results by then. My friend who is 22 weeks pregnant and has a 1.5 year old was admitted today for extreme pain :( feel awful for her as she will miss the wee one on christmas morning and plus they don't know what is causing all the pain. Hopefully her little baba is ok xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nirmala kann
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->