Pre-Labor: Signs that Labor is About to Begin

bmuir11207

Mother of 2 girls
Reaction score
i have the first 5 minus the nesting lol

Pre-Labor: Signs that Labor is About to Begin

Possible Signs Labor May Begin Soon.

· Backache: Not the type of backache you have in late pregnancy that changes when you shift position, but a persistent dull ache that makes you restless and irritable.

· Cramps. Abdominal cramping that is mild to moderate in discomfort.

· PMS symptoms: crabby, irritable.

· Nesting Urge.

· Frequent, soft bowel movements. Flu-like symptoms.

If you experience these symptoms, it is important to remember that they are not necessarily signs that labor is imminent. They may persist for days or weeks before labor begins. The presence of these symptoms is a good reminder to make sure you have everything prepared for labor and birth, and to make sure you are aware of what other signs to be watching for.

However, try not to get too excited about things, or start making too many plans assuming the baby is on its way. Continue your normal routines, get lots of rest, eat and drink well, nurture yourself in these precious days before the baby arrives.

Preliminary Signs

· Bloody show. During pregnancy, cervix contains mucus, which may be released in late pregnancy. May be a thick ‘plug’ of pinkish mucus, which might come out when you use the toilet. May be thin, mucousy discharge on toilet paper. If there is more blood than mucus, call caregiver. (Note, it’s common to have a brownish, bloody discharge within 24 hours of a vaginal exam, or intercourse. Don’t mistake this for bloody show.)

· Water breaks:

o Trickle or a gush. If it’s just a little mucousy fluid, it may be mucous plug.

o Pay attention to what time it breaks, note down its color, odor, etc.

o Call your caregiver. Usually (80% of the time), you will go into labor on your own in the next 24 hours. Ask your caregiver what will happen if you are not in labor after 24 hours.

· Contractions. What’s the difference between non-progressing Braxton-Hicks contractions (“false labor” / pre-labor) and the progressive contractions of active labor?

o Pre-labor contractions generally don’t progress: they may be irregular, or may stay same length, strength, and frequency. May last for a short time, or for several hours. Discomfort is felt in the front of the abdomen, as muscles tighten up. Contractions may stop if you walk, change position or change activity, eat, drink, or empty bladder.

o Some women never have Braxton-Hicks, some may have for weeks before the labor. Some may even have several episodes where contractions seem to be developing a pattern: with contractions every 6-7 minutes for 2-3 hours, which then stop again.

o ‘False Labor’ doesn’t mean they don’t hurt, and it also doesn’t mean that they’re not doing anything. Although the contractions might not be dilating your cervix yet, they are helping you to progress in other ways: moving the cervix to an anterior position, ripening and effacing the cervix.

Positive Signs of Labor

· Gush of amniotic fluid from vagina.

· Progressing contractions: Get longer, stronger, and/or closer together with time. Are usually described as ‘very strong’ or ‘painful’, felt in the abdomen, back, or both. May start in the back, and radiate around to front. Usually increase if you walk.

· Dilation of cervix seen in vaginal exam.

I really wish we just had slan alarm of some sort that at lest goes off when labor starts! Lol

I really wish we just had slan alarm of some sort that at lest goes off when labor starts! Lol

right? that would help because everything is like "well these are some signs but could mean 5mins-5weeks before labor actually starts"

I'm getting them all except for actual labour contractions, waters breaking and blood. I'm hoping ill go I to labour towards the end of this month/beginning of next :) x

I'm getting them all except for actual labour contractions, waters breaking and blood. I'm hoping ill go I to labour towards the end of this month/beginning of next :) x

same here!...all except for contraction, water breaking and blood....and i'm hoping the same thing for labor too...like next weekend to very early june!...i'll be 37 weeks next friday...

Offft I have them all apart from proper contractions or waters breaking! But then again iv already lost my plug, he's engaged and I had proper contractions a few weeks back! Doubt il make it to 40 weeks but 37 would be just lovely lol

P.s I laughed at the crabby part because iv been a right crabby git all day, poor oh phoned to see how I was and I responded with what do u want! Lol oops but I don't know I'm doing it till done it pmsl xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->