pre-natal anxiety/depression, SSRI?

twin mum 27

Reaction score
Hi guys,

So i have finally been diagnosed with POTS (postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome) but i have had it for years. Im struggling to stop myself reading things and have now convinced myself i have MS (there were some lesions on a brain MRI a couple of years ago but i was told not to worry) as MS can be a cause of POTS.

anyway long story short, i had post natal health anxiety after my twins birth in 2011. It was horrific and ive never felt so bad in my life.. i was convinced i had health issues that now seem ridiculous but at the time made perfect sense to me.

I can feel myself spiralling into that again.. the POTS diagnosis has triggered something and its all i can focus on. Im pulling out past MRI scans, ECHOS etc. And self diagnosing..
So i am thinking of starting some anti anxiety medication before it gets out of control again.. i was on sertraline last time but i wasn't pregnant or breastfeeding..

Is anyone on an SSRI type medication during pregnancy and is it safe for breastfeeding also? Im going to talk to my obstetrician in 2 weeks but would love to go in with some knowledge firstly.

Thank you all for your patience in reading that :)

On my last pregnancy I stopped prozac cold turkey (bad I know) and they put me back on it at 26 weeks. This time they're keeping me on it as I was such a mess without it last time. Of course I'd rather be drug free but in my case it's better for everyone involved that I'm medicated. Xxx

Here in the UK sertraline appears to be the one considered least harmful, especially past the second trimester, of the ssri drugs only two are considered safe for breastfeedong in the Nice guidelines and that is one of them.

I hope whatever gets suggested helps you though.

You NEED to be in a good place for when baby is born so definetly seek medical support and if medication will help you then don't feel bad.

Edit: After re-reading my post, I realized how scary it sounds. I don't wanna scare anybody. There are risks with everything you do, and when you're pregnant, you just realize a lot more risks than if you weren't because you love your baby so much and certainly never want to harm them. That being said, your health, including and especially your mental health, does need to come first. This baby is coming from you, feeling what you're feeling and being cared for the way you're caring for yourself. You certainly need an outlet and a treatment of some sort. Some people find therapy works to teach them ways to deal when their emotions are getting out of hand. Some people need to resort to medications, and your doctor can tell you which are safest. I hope you find something that works for you and quickly! Nobody should have to feel helpless or overwhelmed all the time, and you have enough going on!

Hun. Speak to your GP for a professional opinion. I hope today is a good day for you.x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->