Pre Natal Depression

jenwren83

Reaction score
Hello,

I think I am suffering from pre-natal depression? I just wondered if anyone else has been diagnosed and is going through this at the moment??

I have suffered from depression in the past, and was on meds for nearly 2 years. I weaned myself off them approx a year ago now. I am classed as high rick pregnancy due to my med history of this and have an appointment with the consultant to discuss this in approx a months time.

However, I am crying all the time, feeling blue, cant sleep, not eating how I usually would. I know most people would put this down to hormones, but I am feeling the same symptoms as I felt at my worst with my previous depression. I dont want to go back on meds. But I am wondering if my stress (I have a v stressful job) and emotions are affecting baby? Should I go to the docs or wait til my appointment? I just want to be excited, as I should be about my first baby coming. We have no financial worries, we are moving to a gorgeous house shortly, all things I should be excited about, but dont seem to comprehend.

Thanks for any help,

Jen x

While hormones are often blamed for mood swings and many other emotional events of pregnancy are only part of a package when it comes to pregnancy and depression.

Hi jenwren, I've got a long history of depression too. I'm very depressed now, as I stopped my medication (seroxat) cold turkey, when I found out I was pregnant (big mistake)!

I'm starting Cognitive Behavioural Therapy next week, and I have an appointment to see my doctor next week. I've still not made my mind up about medication, but I'm going to have a good chat about what's safe. From what I've read Fluexetine (Prozac) has the best safety record in pregnancy. Although there is a very small risk of withdrawal symptoms in the baby in the the first few days. It's all about my risks having depression, being greater than the risks to the baby.

Please go to your doctor hun, because I wasn't going to, but I'm getting worse. Not really looking after myself properly and putting myself under A LOT of stress, which isn't good for baby.

Have a read of this, if you're worried about medication.
https://www.nice.org.uk/nicemedia/live/11004/30431/30431.pdf

Hey I'm in a similar boat, history of depression although I'm not so good at getting it treated. Finally went in a year ago and got put on anti-depressants but when I finished them I was too scared to go back again! Such an idiot.

Anyway, I had a breakdown about a month ago and afterwards a friend made me go to a counsellor at my university, which acted like an easy foot in the door. The counsellor was amazing, she completely validated what I was feeling and made everything so much clearer. Before it had always been muddy to me, did i really need help or not, as over the years I've got pretty good at monitoring my symptoms myself and only occassionally do they take over me....but she made me realise that I really do need help and that I deserve it...and thanks to her I finally told my midwife about 2 weeks and she was amazingly supportive.

I'd say don't wait around, go and see the doctors as soon as you feel down, there is absolutely NO reason not to and they'll probably put your mind at ease, maybe put you forward for some counselling if you feel this would help? Maybe it's at least worth a try. But it's definitely best to do something about it now. I wish I'd have gone earlier...years earlier in fact. But I guess this is just the first gift that my little girl has given me before she's even here, I don't think I'd have managed to do this without her.

Plus, even if it is just work, then maybe you need some time off?

I hope that you feel better soon and don't worry too much. Especially where you say:
I just want to be excited, as I should be about my first baby coming.
It's never quite as black & white as that unfortunately hun. I doubt that there's a single person on this forum whose been happy and excited every day of their pregnancy, even without depression! <3

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->