Pre TTC chat with Doctor

fairygirl

Pregnant, 1 Angel, 2 Rainbows
Reaction score
I just got back from my appointment. He seemed quite impressed as was going to prescribe me some vitamins but I told him I was already taking them!

My hip pain is probably from lower back issues and he has told me to go swimming 3 times a week. That's going to be a challenge.

He didn't mention my weight which is great as my bmi is near enough 30.

One thing I did learn was to not take Ibruprofen from now, which I didn't know you shouldn't take even when not trying yet.

He also said relax, as stressing releaes prolactin which messes with your hormones!

Thanks for sharing that - I did not know about the ibuprofen & although I know you aren't meant to stress, I didn't realise there was such a strong link between stressing & hormones. Thats really helpful info to know! :)

Thanks, I didn't know about Ibruprofen either.

How long before you TTC? We are planning to TTC April at the latest and it could be as early as February so I was thinking of making a pre-TTC appointment for December.

We're going to ttc in Dec, so 7 weeks.

Ooooh I didn't know about the Ibuprofren - I always take Ibuprofen when I have a headache - so will have to refrain from that then! x

Ooo didn't know about Ibuprofen, did he say exactly why you couldn't take it? Just curious!

Really pleased you had a good chat with your doc :)
I knew stressing was a bad thing and it could stop AF but I didn't know about it changing hormones...

:thumbup: Guess you learn something new every day!

I'm just impressed my Dr was so cool and helpful about it. He's always been a bit non-commital before.

He just said use paraceatamol instead, maybe coz you shouldn't take Ibruprofen when pregnant?

Well I think they know when your ready to take the big plunge, and remember they have to be objective and non biast (although thats not always the case!) Hehe

Fair enough, paracetamol it is! :D

I dunno, I think he was impressed with how prepared I was, not too common round here if I'm being stereotypical! He didn't ask about my fibro which was wierd, he just asked twice if I was on medication, all the time me thinking 'No I didn't like it to begin with and I can live without it'.

Curious about the prolactin comment so reserch below:

High prolactin levels also tend to suppress the ovulatory cycle by inhibiting the secretion of both follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH) and gonadotropic-releasing hormone (GnRH).

Conditions associated with elevated prolactin secretion
Hyperprolactinaemia is the term given to having too-high levels of prolactin in the blood.

Prolactinoma
Excess thyrotropin-releasing hormone (TRH), usually in primary hypothyroidism
Many anti-psychotic medications
Emotional stress
Pregnancy and Lactation.

It's the hormone that stops you ovulating whilst breastfeeding. So now we know!

Oooooooo see I was tested for hyperthyroidism (my mother, brother and nan all suffer with it, I'm the only one who doesn't!) but those tests came back clear. I'm not really stressed but I am on meds designed to mellow me out (I suffer with uncontrollable anxiety).

I wonder if thats why I'm not ovulating... hrmmmmmmm! I suppose i will see when I go for my bloods. :D

Edit:: Anti psychotic meds huh..... *goes away for a sec* Just checked my med packet and missing periods is one of the side effects! :dohh: Well now I know!!

I admire your strength with the anxiety. I get it at random moments and it got really bad when we moved house. I read that it was a side effect of my bcp just as I stopped taking it. I must admit I seem better and can talk myself out of those moments now (resisted turning my car around the other day to check that I'd locked the back door). When do you think you'll come off meds for ttc?

Well the anxiety kicked in when I came off my BCP in July, it became rather uncontrollable, my doctor says it may be because of a hormonal imbalance (Odd how it happened for both of us at the same time... damn pills). I have to be on the meds for 2 more months and then I am allowed to be weaned off them :) Hence I shall be trying in April 2010 for my first. But I feel really positive about the whole experience :D

I admire your strength for talking yourself out of those moments, I'm afraid I'm a little bit of a defeatist sometimes and just mope! Haha :lol:

It's the night where you don't sleep coz you swore you saw your petrol gauge lose an 1/8th of a tank when you were driving...
Or forgot to give some keys back at work and found them in your bag and completely convinced you're gonna be in BIG trouble when you hand them back (this was only last week) and dream about it in between waking up about it.
Oh and did you convince yourself you could be pregnant after coming off pill because of all the hormones flying about?

I've always had a vivid imagination!

Sorry talking about it makes me calmer.

:shock: Oh my god I thought I was the only person like that, I didn't really convince myself about being pregnant but everything else is like me! Losing sleep over something you forgot to do the day before and your convinced your going to be in big trouble for it. Turning around half way to work because you think you left your hair straightners on and convince yourself if you don't by the time you do get back your home will just be ashes !

It got so bad I was convinced if I went to fill my car up with petrol I would do it wrong somehow and my car would explode (ok a little over the top but thats when I went for the help!) lol

Sorry talking about it makes me calmer.

Nooo talk away sweety I'm just as bad :blush: Luckily the tabs I'm on mellow me out so I'm not losing sleep anymore and I just take things in my stride

My absolute worse one that I can't shift is that I will have bad luck if my underwear doesn't match. I know that's a little more OCD than anxiety but hopefully it'll raise a chuckle!

My absolute worse one that I can't shift is that I will have bad luck if my underwear doesn't match. I know that's a little more OCD than anxiety but hopefully it'll raise a chuckle!

Hahahahahahaha ! :rofl: I love that! You've made my night with that!

You're welcome. Can you imagine what I'll be like when I am trying or pregnant. More hormones on the go? Woman possessed springs to mind!

You're welcome. Can you imagine what I'll be like when I am trying or pregnant. More hormones on the go? Woman possessed springs to mind!

Don't worry I have thought of that too but we will have an excuse so its ok :blush: pregnancy can do crazy things i think...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->