Pre TTC check up in the UK?

AmeliePoulain

Mama to 3 girls
Reaction score
DH went to the docs last week and got a bit of an interogation from the lady doctor about our plans for a family :wacko: (he only had an appointment for a clicky jaw!)....anyway the doctor has said that she definitely wants me to come in a minimum of 6 months before we start TTC (earlyish December for us).

I just wandered if anyone in the UK has any experience of what a pre TTC check up might involve?

Thank you :flower:

I don't know I'm waiting to have one myself! :wacko:

I mentioned it to my doctor last time I went and she gave me a blood test form so I can be tested if I am immune to measles, if not I need to get my Rubella, and she advised me I need to start taking folic acid.

Apart from that I am none the wiser.

I went in and asked the Doctor who got me to back a nurse's appointment and took blood to do the Rubella test, gave me a wee brochure on healthy eating and told me to start taking folic acid. We also discussed when to come off the pill.

I'd recently had a smear test but I guess they might recommend that as well if you are due one soon.

I was definitely vacinated against Rubella when I was a kid...can it sometimes not take/or does immunity only last for a limited amount of time :shrug: ??? I suppose these are all good questions to ask the doctor!

Also I think I will ask for a smear test - I have never had one seeing as I am under 25 and I'm guessing that would be a sensible thing to do before TTC...

Rubella vaccinations like all vaccines only last for a certain amount of time hense you need to get a check up and a boost! someone I know got Measles during a pregnancy and had to have a termination because of it :cry: I couldn't even imagine having to go through that.

I have never had a smear test either, I went of my own accord at 18 and was turned away! lol

I have never had a smear test either, I went of my own accord at 18 and was turned away! lol

I have heard similar stories...rubbish isn't it...

I did have a smear of sorts last November when I had an operation to remove a cyst but I don't think it was a cervical cancer smear - I think that they were more checking for infection :wacko:

Ok well definitely need to get the Rubella thing checked out - I'm guessing they will just want to have a chat about diet, lifestyle etc etc.

I am too scared to go and have a pre-ttc check up as I know I will just get told off because of my weight, so I am trying to just be as healthy as possible, taking folic acid and I have just had my smear test which thankfully came back clear, phew! x

Is everyone supposed to have a pre-TTC appointment at the Dr's? I was thinking of contacting my surgery to request a pre-TTC appointment but was frightened incase they didn't know what I was talking about.

I had one a couple months ago, basically had blood pressure taken, height & weight, asked lots of questions about 'do you smoke? do you drink? etc) and then had blood taken to test cholesterol & iron levels. Short and sweet really :)

I don't want to go for one when the time comes because they'll take blood :'(

I didn't have one. I don't think they'd do anything even if I did go in. :shrug:

i didnt have one either, before TTC our wee girl, i asked the nurse what advice she could give me, she simple said 'stop taking your pill' - so there you go!! All i have done it to start taking my pregnacare tabs.

I requested a smear test when I was 18 (and again after I turned 19) because my mum only found out she had cervical cancer through having one done and they used to advise getting them when you become sexually active. However, I was also turned away!

I requested a smear test when I was 18 (and again after I turned 19) because my mum only found out she had cervical cancer through having one done and they used to advise getting them when you become sexually active. However, I was also turned away!

Ditto, it was my mum who pushed me to go because she got cervical cancer. And same I was always told to go once you become sexually active.... :hissy: Wish they would make thier minds up!

I am definitely asking doctor if I can arrange a smear when I go in tomorrow for a mole check up....I'm 23 and quite definitely sexually active now so they better not say no!!!!

I think this is shocking girls. They constantly moan that women aren't taking enough responsiblity of their health and attending regular smears, and here you are being turned away. I think i would be really pushing for it given the family history though. I'm not sure i would take no for an answer tbh. xx

I didn't have one - when I got my coil taken out I told the dr we were planning to TCC and she told me there was no reason I couldn't start right away, that I should take folic acid right away and it was better not to drink, but one or two glasses of wine a week wouldn't hurt. Bo blood pressure, bloods, nothing.

Ditto, it was my mum who pushed me to go because she got cervical cancer. And same I was always told to go once you become sexually active.... :hissy: Wish they would make thier minds up!

Glad its not just me that thought that! I'm sure I always told in like sex education at school and when we had talks at school about periods etc we were always told to go when we were sexually active. I can remember reading it online too when I started looking into contraception when I became sexually active.:growlmad:

I am definitely asking doctor if I can arrange a smear when I go in tomorrow for a mole check up....I'm 23 and quite definitely sexually active now so they better not say no!!!!

Good luck :D

I think this is shocking girls. They constantly moan that women aren't taking enough responsiblity of their health and attending regular smears, and here you are being turned away. I think i would be really pushing for it given the family history though. I'm not sure i would take no for an answer tbh. xx

I think its shocking too, and I can see why people are starting to just not bother. I really did push for it - originally I asked the nurse, then I saw two different doctors who both gave me a very firm no.

I need to go to the doctors next week for another reason (well two actually, one indirectly related to TTC) and will need to see a female doctor so will probably mention that we are thinking of TTC next year and what advice can she give us.

I think it might be 23 when routine smears are started.

You know girls I'm not sure but you might be able to get a smear done at the GUM clinic with other STD tests. I think probably yes. You could give that a try if the GP won't do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->