Pre TTC health check?

buttonnose82

Wife & Mummy
Reaction score
have you / do you plan on having a health check/blood tests etc with your dr before you start TTC.

my sweet DP has suggested I contact the DR and get a general health check to check I am healthy healthy before we start TTC. To me it sounds like a logical /good idea as you have to have a healthy mummy for a healthy baby, but I am worried the DR will think we are going over the top or that it is abnormal

any thoughts?

Some doctors do a well woman clinic where you can get that done

Not OTT at all. It's an excellent idea. I did this and I found out that my MMR immunity had worn off. I then had time to get a booster before TTC. You can check all your immunities, check iron levels, liver function, all sorts of important things that could have an effect on fertility or pregnancy.
And men should consider it as well. Deficiencies in vitamins and minerals can have an effect on sperm motility, for example. You can discover all kinds of important things from some basic bloodwork.

My doc included some bloods some months back as she knows we want to TTC in the near future, checked me for german measles and toxicowhatsit, had the first (well, the jab) but not the later (shame)

I had a check up to make sure we were both healthy before. Its a good idea! :)

This is a great idea, I didn't know you could do that. I'm going to look into it too.

Both my hubby and I had a checkup before we started TTC. We had ours about 5 or 6 months before we planned to start. It was great to make sure that we were in tip-top shape! :)

Ooo that's a really good idea - I didn't know you could do that!

I'm booked in for my 'well woman health check' for a week on friday yay hehe

Yay! I really want to do this I am just scared they will shout at me and refuse to do it cos of my weight :(

Let us know how it goes hun x

I have an appointment with my Dr in early Sept. One past blood test showed I wasn't immune to rubella and had to be re-vaccinated, not to mention iron-deficient anemia runs in my family and also to see if any meds that me and hubby are on will be problematic. Also I want to have a clear idea of what to expect and what to do when we finally conceive. Its would be our first so we both are being a little crazy lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->