• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Preemie Care 1930's

2Pups4Kids

Reaction score
My friend posted a pretty fascinating link about premature baby care in the late 1930's. I thought I'd share.

https://life.time.com/culture/what-...ies-looked-like-75-years-ago/?iid=lf|latest#1

The caption on slide 15 is absolutely heart wrenching. I can't even imagine not being able to be with my baby when she was in the nicu. Those women only got to look at their babies for an hour while most days I got to hold her for an hour or more.

What a fascinating read. I agree that the caption on slide 15 is really heartbreaking :(

My Grandmother was a preemie in 1913, born somewhere between 30 and 32 weeks (not sure of exact gestation) and weighing just 2lb. Her mother had suffered many miscarriages and neonatal losses so they prayed this baby would make it - and she did. Living a long life until the ripe old age of 91! Given the difference in care at this time it is a miracle that she survived, she must have had some fantastic nurses.

I so agree, I wouldn't be able to handle not being able to be with my son when he was there. I used to come every three hours even at night after he was discharged. No way I'd let him to be himself, although our NICU nurses were wonderful and supportive. My daughter was not let inside the NICU even after he was moved right next to the door (and I agree, she shouldn't have had), she was hysterical that she can't touch her brother as in seriously screaming the place down and knocking on all doors/windows

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
irenetta
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->