Preemies and milestones: ladies, I need some help please.

K

katiemae7031

My DS is 8 months old, 5.5 months adjusted. He was a 30 weeker. I am worried because he is not sitting up on his own yet. He is rolling around very well though. I know you are supposed to go by adjusted age and whatnot, but I'm a little concerned that he's not even where he should be for his adjusted age. When did your preemies sit up on their own? Just needing some reassurance.

About 8.5 months with any remote degree of stability - 9 months to be stable enough I'd be willing to move away to grab the TV remote from the other side of the sofa... that's for a 7 week early baby - the sitting's only happened really really recently.

She could babble a glass eye to sleep though - it's very much motor-skills related milestones she has this slight lag on.

On the other hand - I've spent a good couple of months encouraging her to roll from back to front with minimal success - so popped into the kitchen to unload the dishwasher while she was lying on the rug the other day (perfectly safe away from any dangers - joys of an immobile baby!), when I looked back in the room she was lying happily propped up on her elbows on her front with a "damn - busted" look on her face... sometimes you don't know what they're fully capable of!

My son has pretty much mastered rolling and turning over. But he is absolutely not even interested in trying to sit. He gets mad when I try to practice with him. And the few rare instances where I can get him to do it, he just falls right over. He has no balance at all :-/

We were about at least 9 months adjusted when she could do it, as long as she was engrossed in something!

We still aren't sitting. Our lo has been late with all her milestones so far. My cons has said we mustn't worry or compare her to other babies. Which I'm trying not to do! The important thing is that your baby is learning new skills, as ling as there is improvement you shouldn't worry.

Hope that helps.

xxx

My daughter was 5 weeks premature and she s 8 months now. She just about managed sitting totally unassisted in the last 1-2 weeks

My daughter is not far off 6 months(23 weeks),still has head lag not sitting not babbling and not rolling.
She isn't reaching for things yet or holding on to items either,but on the bright side she is a very happy smilely pleasant baby.

We were about at least 9 months adjusted when she could do it, as long as she was engrossed in something!

Oh yeah that "oh fuck what am I doing... oh hell I'm sitting... FACE PLANT" moment of realisation!

Anya was born at 23+6, and sat at 17 months actual/13 months corrected. Xx

Thanks for all the feedback! It's always reassuring to hear from other mommies going thru the same issues

Katie, sounds like our babies are of similar age. My boy is 8 months old, 5.5 adjusted. Born 5/25 at 29+0. He just successfully rolled form his back to belly last week but is not able to do it each time he tries. I must say though, when he IS fully interested in rolling like last week, he rolled straight through the living room! I now have a track of blankets set up for him! lol He used to get super upset and extend when I had him try to sit between my legs. That is, unless Baby Einstein was on... Then, two weeks ago, he magically decided he likes tummy time and sitting with me. Last week, his PT counted 8 seconds of sitting unassisted. She said that was within normal range for beginning to sit. I see it taking us a LONG time to get to sitting unassisted, especially with his tendency to extend when he gets upset.

Sitting's taken us a good couple of months to get with any degree of stability - and I'd still not even move across the sofa to grab the TV remote without worrying she'll topple over.

I've come to the conclusion she's decided to prioritise learning to talk so she can just pass requests on to her servants in order to get stuff brought to her (although calling everything "cat" isn't going to get her very far in life on this one).

Dizz.....I gotta say you are awesome!!! After reading a post of yours up thread about how your lo rolled when you were out room etc .....I have spent the last 24-48hrs thinking I'm losing the plot a bit...I put Ethan down then when I look again he has moved :/. At first I thought he was shuffling on his back as he kicks his legs lots....then I noticed he was moving towards his feet if that makes sense not upwards towards his head?!?

Today I popped him on the mat and went to load the dryer, heard him winging a bit as I'd left the room, but I could see him so wasn't too bothered...happened to notice he went quiet and just popped into my head what you said and windered what he was up too.....so looked again and lo and behold, he is on his tummy!!! Then smiles and rolls back onto his back! :) since then had rolled all over the floor! Xx

Dizz.....I gotta say you are awesome!!! After reading a post of yours up thread about how your lo rolled when you were out room etc .....I have spent the last 24-48hrs thinking I'm losing the plot a bit...I put Ethan down then when I look again he has moved :/. At first I thought he was shuffling on his back as he kicks his legs lots....then I noticed he was moving towards his feet if that makes sense not upwards towards his head?!?

Today I popped him on the mat and went to load the dryer, heard him winging a bit as I'd left the room, but I could see him so wasn't too bothered...happened to notice he went quiet and just popped into my head what you said and windered what he was up too.....so looked again and lo and behold, he is on his tummy!!! Then smiles and rolls back onto his back! :) since then had rolled all over the floor! Xx

Apparently my SIL was one who liked to practice new skills in private too - she would try to practice walking - but only when no one was watching her!

Since Erin's rolled over a couple of times in private she seems much happier to do it in public now - not quite sure if this is perfectionist tendencies or just being a little minx! With her - either is possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->