Pregnancy and citalopram. WTT

plutosblue

Mum of 2 & duffed.
Reaction score
Ok hello girlies :)

I am currently on 20mg Citalopram due to anxiety issues I developed after coming off BCP's in July (due to hormone imbalance). My GP thinks I should be off them by Christmas but to be honest this is the happiest and most human I have felt in years! Eveyone has noticed the difference in me - for the better. (I have always been high strung) So I am a little worried about coming off them because I don't want to dip and suddenly change my mind about trying for my first child in the new year and I certaintly don't want to go back to being a nervous wreck!

Ideally I would like to be off them, and my doctor agrees with me that this would be best but I'm so broody and I can't help but think I would like to start trying as soon as I can.. I am also juggling with the decision of staying on them because I would like to be as calm as possible during my pregnancy and I am getting conflicting views on the net of whether to think about staying on them (Some doctors say safe, others don't)....

ARRGGG why is it so difficult, I want to be as healthy as I can for my baby without help but the best thing I can do is try and be calm and happy...

Whats a girl to do?! :nope:

Hi! I can say that I was on this drug, but have been off it for 2 years. In my case it helped a bit at the time, but had too many bad effects, and when I stopped taking it I was back to square one but worse. (then again, I was taking 60! ). Strangely enough all the doctors told me that when I was taking 15 it was basically like not taking anything. But then again it depends on the person and their individual case I suppose.

However, there was a thread in TTC about citalopram, if you put in the search menu it is sure to come up, I think it talks of people taking it there. Some people were told by doctors not to take it, others were told it was okay. I definitely recommend to read it.

Thanks very much for the response, I will definatly have a look for it :)

Yeah I had a lot of bad side effects at the start but I persevered with it and its the best thing I could have done ! Now I just have to get off the damn things hehe! x

I've been on citalopram before and the main thing I can think of to say is don't stop them altogether, make sure you gradually reduce the dose over a period of time. That way, your body and mind get used to having less and less of the citalopram in your system. If you notice a couple of weeks down the line that you think you're struggling, then go back to the doctor and review things. Good luck xx

Yeah I see my GP end of this month so I think I am going to ask to be reduced in dosage and weaned off ! Wish me luck x :D

im also on them and will be trying for a baby next summer and am worried about this as they want to start to wean me off them in feb next year when ive been on them a year!

im also on them and will be trying for a baby next summer and am worried about this as they want to start to wean me off them in feb next year when ive been on them a year!

Well I will make sure to keep you updated on what my GP says, I have only been on them for 4 months and she said they usually keep you on them for 6 but I feel alright and I have taken a lot of self reflection and feel I'm emotionally ready to come off, I think it was just a spat of hormonal rage as I came of my BCP after 5 years and she said it was a hormonal imbalance that caused it so... :blush: Fingers crossed. x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->