Pregnancy Weight

ladyamanda7

Reaction score
I just entered my 13 week of pregnancy. I've gained 8 pounds since the beginning. Is this too much? I feel so fat...I can't stop eating and never feel like I have the energy to exercise. I used to be addicted to exercise.

I find it really hard to keep up with excersizing too! Even my daily yoga routines have been a pain. Ask your health care provider how much weight you should gain. A woman who was average weightbefore getting pregnant should gain 25 to 35 pounds after becoming pregnant. Underweight women should gain 28 to 40 pounds. And overweight women may need to gain only 15 to 25 pounds during pregnancy.. But in the end everyone gains weight at different rates!

Honestly, Ive found that with each baby my body just does what it wants and by the end I gain 15-20 pounds no matter what. If I eat like crap, its still the same 15-20 pounds I would have gained if I ate healthy. Im curious to see if I end up the same this time around since I lost about 10lbs from having the flu. Depending on what your weight was before you got pregnant, that will determine your "range" of "appropriate" weight gain. I think during the first trimester, for a mom of healthy weight before pregnancy, its something like 1/4 - 1/2lb a week, and then 1lb a week (roughly) during the second and third trimesters. As long as your dr isnt concerned you shouldnt be either, and even that, Id take with a grain of salt :p

my doctor said they like to see 3-5lb weight gain in the first trimester so don't stress too much. I was very nauseous in the first trimester and all I could keep down was English muffins and pizza. In the second trimester you start to feel better and can incorporate healthier foods.

As far as the appetite thing goes, just eat small meals throughout the day so your hunger doesn't take over and cause you to over eat. That's the best advice I could give you.

I've been gaining steadily about a pound a week. I ate like a horse the entire first trimester... was always hungry or else I got really sick if I didn't eat often. Now that I'm past halfway it has been leveling off a bit. I still get nauseated if I don't eat every so often but I can now go about 4 hours without eating instead of 1-2 hours. Everything is getting more squashed in there so I haven't been eating as much, yet still gaining just as much weight.

I also struggle with understanding weight gain. I mean you are definitely expected to gain 25 lb on average. If you were underweight before, then you should gain like 25-30, if you were overweight before, then 15-20, and if normal, then 20-25. My doc gave us a book that shows the expected weight gain based on # of weeks but it shows a linear graph. That, to me, means that every 2 weeks I should be gaining 1.5 lbs at most. But based on what other women have told me, weight gain is not going to be linear, it might plateau sometimes, and then peak other times depending on baby's development. So basically my answer to your question is...........no idea :wacko: But when you go into your docs or midwife, they should be able to tell you if your weight gain is on track.

Like you, I felt fat for a while even though my weight gain was on track. I found that exercise did help me feel more in shape. I try to exercise at least 30 min a day: walking, swimming, yoga. It's tiring for sure, but I was a little concerned about GD given family history so I was extra motivated to exercise, and I think my weight gain slowed down a bit as a result and I certainly felt more fit and not fat anymore. Getting the appropriate maternity clothing helps with that too, trust me. Don't expect to fit into your regular clothing anymore, that's gonna make you feel fat for sure :)

I'm 14 weeks and I have gained about 8/9lbs. The first few weeks before and when I found out I was pregnant my hormones were insane, I was also on birth control so that may have had something to do with it but I was eating like crazy. They settled down after a few weeks and I feel like I'm more able to control myself and have maintained my weight for weeks now.

I gained more in the first tri then already in my second tri - like others said I ate to stop the sickness. I'm 21 weeks nearly and gained 12lbs but 7 of those were in the first trimester.

It's tough as people do seem to gain varied amounts. My friend is currently pregnant with twins and at 19 weeks is tiny and in his skinny leather trousers! So it's very individual.

I just try and watch what j eat - I swapped chocolate snacks for apples, tried drinking diet drinks to stop the sickness etc. hang on in there x

During my last pregnancy I put on about 55lbs!! Within 4 months of my LO being born, I had lost almost all of it. I was so tired during pregnancy and hungry! But I was fit before pregnancy, so I found I fell back in to it easily & was able to lose the weight quite quickly. The same thing is happening this time and I'm not so stressed about it because I know I will lose it again once baby is here :)

My weight gain goal is 10lbs for the entire pregnancy (I am obese). It's very hard :-/. The goal was set by my gestational diabetes nurse. I've never had so much hunger during pregnancy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->