Pregnant, but for how long? Scared. *UPDATE*

Maze

Expecting 4th, 2 Angels
Reaction score
I posted earlier in the week about having a weird first response result, only to have a negative the next day. Well I came down with a UTI and when I saw my doctor and told her about the tests she decided to do a blood test as well just in case. Today I went back in because the medication she put me on hasn't been helping with the UTI, and she told me the blood results were back. I was pregnant with an HCG level of a mere 28. (That was Wed when it was drawn) She sends me to the hospital for precautions because if something is wrong with my upper bladder (kidneys) and I am pregnant that could cause some issues.

The ER tested my blood, and I was now only 48. They basically were trying to tell me I have already miscarried even though I haven't cramped or bled. And technically I am only late on my period by one day, so I told them I don't think my body has technically gotten rid of anything. I miscarried early on last October, it was painful and not something I would have 'simply not noticed.'

So I am not in pain... and I am not bleeding... but my levels are low, even though I am indeed about 4 weeks pregnant.

What is wrong with me? Why is my body doing this to me again? Is there a chance things will be OK?

I am really disheartened...when I'd rather be celebrating. I only miscarried three months ago... I am scared to repeat the experience.

So soryy for you loss!! And do not count another loss yet, there is still hope esp if your not bleeding or anything!! Keep your head up!!

This sounds so awful for you, I hope you have positive news soon.
On the note of the UTI, I have been on antibiotics constantly since my mmc in November which has made cystitis worse and almost constant. May I recommend taking cranberry supplements (2 tabs, 3 times a day), if you are pregnant they will be safe for you and also may relieve your pain.
I started them yesterday and it has been a miracle for me to to wake up now and not have that awful burning sensation every morning. I am ttc this week so the last thing I wanted was more antibiotics...

Good luck xx

I am so sorry you are going through this but don't give up yet. What was the time difference between the first bloodtest and the second?

Thanks for your responses and suggestions, I will definitely consider those cranberry supplements.

the time between my tests were three days... so it didn't quite double in a little over 72 hours.

I am still experiencing barely any cramping. I had a little the day I was due and the day before I was due, but nothing that made me feel like I was going to bleed. Then I also get the occasional sharp zing at night above my belly button but it only lasts about 5-10 seconds. No bleeding, not even spotting.

I read somewhere that dehydration can cause HCG levels to be low, and I know I am not drinking a lot so am trying to be more active with my fluids.

Last time, my body knew there was something wrong. I was achey and I had a hard time even coming to terms with the fact mentally that I was pregnant... like it never felt truly real.

This time my body just feels... at ease.

I hate that I had to find out about this pregnancy this way, I would have loved to go a week longer before finding out I was pregnant, so my HCG levels would have had a chance to be substantial.

The worst part about this is whenever I go to sleep I get nightmares or daymares about waking up in bed only to find that I have begun to bleed, and sometimes it isn't really blood but just this black liquid. There was one instance where in my dream I just kept waking up and thinking I was finally awake only to discover the blood again over and over... my fiance ended up shaking me awake because I was crying in my sleep.

This is torture. I just want to be hopeful.

Maze, I am so sorry you are going through this. I know some women have had really low HCG levels in the beginning, but have gone onto have healthy babies. I hope this is the same case for you!

Being that the hcg levels are rising but at a slow rate, and you are having UTI-like symptoms are they not concerned that it maybe ectopic?

That was one of the reasons my doctor sent me to the hospital in the first place... because I had some pain to one side, (the side where my doctor assumed my kidney was infected) so she wanted to be sure.

However, the doctor who saw me at the ER was a resident. He didn't even do an internal examination despite the nurse had prepped me for one. He felt around me stomach... and it didn't really hurt, just felt swollen and funky, and banged on my back a few times and that was it.

He told me that I could be having an ectopic pregnancy, but that his higher up thinks my HCG levels would still need to be higher for that. They were really riding this whole, I must have already miscarried horse. No matter how many times I told them there has been no blood.

I am scheduled for an ultrasound tomorrow as a precaution. He said he thought I could make it till Monday because, and I quote "nothing felt broken in there (my abdomen) that needed to be fixed." RIGHT... like I'd be sitting there calmly if my tube had ruptured already. I was so annoyed with the way they were handling things I wanted to leave rather than argue. You're supposed to want to prevent a rupturing tube, not simply look to 'fix' one. Fix was an odd word to use since generally you lose the tube if it is 'broken.' :nope:

A ruptured tube is nothing to play around with, its serious. I find is ridiculous how relaxed some Doctors have gotten with medical care.

Hi Maze

I don't have advice to offer you or experience to draw upon on your situation but didn't want to read and run. Also want to let you know that I have everything crossed for you.

Much love,

K.xx

Aww hun i'm no help but i'm keeping my fingers crossed for you :hugs: keep us updated when you can

I just got back from the hospital and getting my ultrasound done.

As I suspected (as it is way too early, only just missed my period) they didn't see much of anything. The good thing is that also means they didn't detect a tubal pregnancy.

However, they did see what appeared to be a mass of liquid in my uterus that measured 3mm. In the report it said it could just be that, liquid, or less likely the beginnings of a gestational sac.

Love that they couldn't just say possibly, they had to say 'less likely.'

The doctor dismissed my pregnancy, almost as if I am not pregnant at all. He then handed me the report to give to my GP. I looked quickly at the report and said "Oh I have a cyst?" and he glanced at me and then took the report back and said "Oh, yes, I guess you do.. but it is relatively small and on your left ovary." He didn't even see that in the report, goes to show you how carefully he read it... when I, the patient, can glance at it for a second and see the word 'cyst.'

The recommendation is to keep tracking my HCG and have another ultrasound in 2 weeks.

I am losing faith in the medical system, I admit. I have sort of just decided to stop stressing about the numbers. My body feels what it feels, and if it feels fine right now then I shouldn't be worried. Women have gone through pregnancies for centuries where they couldn't monitor hormone levels and either they bled and lost the baby or they didn't. :shrug:

Just take your pregnancy one day at a time each day that passes is a day closer to leaving first trimester. What ever your outcome is just keep your faith and courage tucked inside you every day, hugs to you.

Good thing its not a Tubal :happydance: I think there is too much intervention in the beginning of pregnancy and not always positive it seems like some Docs just want to go out of their way to lean towards m/c. My Dr. made me feel like if your not 12 weeks pregnant ur not pregnant. FX for you!!

Good thing its not a Tubal :happydance: I think there is too much intervention in the beginning of pregnancy and not always positive it seems like some Docs just want to go out of their way to lean towards m/c. My Dr. made me feel like if your not 12 weeks pregnant ur not pregnant. FX for you!!

Thats pretty much the way it is here in Australia. You dont even get to book into the midwife clinic at the hospital until you are over 12 weeks.

Maze, do you have a good GP?

Thanks everyone for your encouragement, it means a lot and I will certainly keep you posted as things progress so that if someone else gets into this situation they will know how it was handled with me.

I must say I did some research on gestational sacs in early pregnancy... and they said they appear at 4 weeks, which I just turned on Friday/Saturday... aaaaand that they grow about 1mm a day. So guess what! Maybe that 3mm sac of fluid isn't so unlikely to be a sac after all. As that would be right on target! It just annoys me that they want to dismiss a pregnancy that has only just started so quickly. :/

I mean, so many people don't get a positive HPT test right away, and are told to try again in a few days or a week and see what happens. That is because of varying ovulation and dates being wrong... you don't see people saying... OH... well you didn't get a positive HPT the day you were late, so even if you get a positive next week, it isn't going to work out because your hormones are too low or rising too slowly.

I am definitely feeling more positive about my pregnancy today, less scared. At the same time I will try to be prepared for whatever might happen. (though it will still be hard)

Thats pretty much the way it is here in Australia. You dont even get to book into the midwife clinic at the hospital until you are over 12 weeks.

Maze, do you have a good GP?

Really??? 12 weeks, talk about frustrating, especially since you certainly feel very pregnant before then.

I have a great GP. She was even giving me hope in October when I was bleeding and in some pain, she said she didn't want to give me 'false hope' but that ER doctors tend to be all doom and gloom sometimes, and that she would never say a pregnancy is over until it actually is over. She also wanted to get me into a much regarded women's centre for a second opinion and ultrasound. Unfortunately I miscarried before my appointment date... but, she was just more optimistic than the doctors I saw at the hospital and not to be sexist but I feel like a lot of the male GPs and ER doctors I have encountered are less supportive. It was the women who came in contact with me that always had hope for me.

I wish you all the best. I had a similar situation last year. I found out I was pregnant after already having 1 miscarriage. My HCG levels were increasing but not enough. They did 3 ultra sounds. Each one showed a sac but no baby. I didnt have any signs of a miscarriage and decided to wait it out. At 10.5 weeks (5 weeks after they said I would miscarry) I did lose my baby. They called it a blighted ovum or missed miscarriage. I lost my baby just 2 weeks after my wedding and 5 days after I was told there was no hope. I think I was just holding on to hard. I hope this works out for you. My baby would have been due yesterday and it is still so painful. Best of Luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->