Pregnant codeine addict... have stopped taking it now but still scared

HannahMae

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am expecting harsh judgement and perhaps I deserve it, but I am so scared I've harmed my baby and am in need of some reassurance/support. This will be long!

I started taking low dose over the counter co-codamol around four years ago to treat migraines/severe headaches. Each tablet contains 8mg of codeine, 500mg of paracetamol (think it's called Tylenol in the US?), and 30mg of caffeine. Initially I only took them as and when I needed, which was every few weeks.

However a few months ago I suffered a miscarriage at 12 weeks. This was devastating and I became very depressed, and this is when my codeine use increased. Initially it was for pain relief (I had to have a D&C following my miscarriage), but after a week or so I noticed I was taking it even when not in pain. I craved the chilled out feeling they gave me. I guess I was medicating my depression. The amount I took varied but at the worst I was taking 10 tablets a day (so 80mg of codeine a day). I know this isn't a HUGE amount but I recognised I was developing a problem and started cutting down. After a few weeks I was down to 4/5 tablets a day. Aside from rebound headaches which were relieved with paracetamol and some caffeine, I didn't experience any of the horrible withdrawal symptoms I was expecting.

In June I discovered I was pregnant again. Mindful of my previous loss and more determined than ever to stop taking codeine, I cut down even further and took 2/3 tablets a day. Although I must admit that there were a few days where I was incapacitated with migraine pain and had to take up to 4/5 tablets.

I'm now 16 weeks pregnant and haven't taken any codeine in 48 hours. This may seem like a small step but for someone who was taking up to 10 tablets a day for weeks on end this feels like a big achievement. I actually feel totally fine. I've had a few pretty gnarly rebound headaches but paracetamol, some caffeine, and a lay down in a dark room usually relieves them or at least takes the edge off. Aside from the headaches I haven't had any withdrawal symptoms.

I'm glad I've stopped taking co-codamol but am utterly terrified and ashamed that I may have already harmed my precious baby. All tests and scans so far have shown that baby is perfect but I know some problems aren't picked up until later on. I read articles about birth defects and neonatal withdrawal and I feel so ashamed. I have even cried about it a few times. :cry:

I have read a ton of forum posts from women who were prescribed and took codeine at much higher doses than I ever took during pregnancy and they delivered healthy babies. This reassures me for about 30 seconds before I read another article about babies born addicted to opiates and the guilt and shame hits once again.

I hope that by stopping now my baby won't be born addicted, but I really don't know. I am so scared and ashamed. I feel like such a crap mother and my baby hasn't even been born yet. :cry: I haven't told any medical professional about my codeine use as I'm terrified. I'm terrified I'll be labelled a junkie and my baby taken off me. I'm probably massively overreacting but that's me to a tee.

Can anyone else offer some advice or reassurance? Did anyone else take codeine in early pregnancy? I know I should be ashamed and I truly am. :(

First let me say that it is brave of you to realize you have an issue and to address it. Even more brave of you to admit it on an online forum. The fact that you have stopped now is very good. If you can stay off it from now until birth the chances of baby being dependent on it is lower. IT sounds like you are already beating yourself up over it so there is no need for anyone else to do it. You know what you have done isn't right. The first step is admitting it. I imagine the guilt will not go down the whole pregnancy and probably not even when the child is born and getting older. That is just how it goes. As for damage done to the baby so far it is hard to know but that shouldn't stop you from quitting. You have to just keep pushing forward and hope for the best. Try to keep yourself super healthy and take care of that baby! Find a therapist if needed or if to afraid to seek help in person, talk on a support form for opiate addiction. Whatever keeps you clean. The longer you are away from it the better you will feel. Good luck! I wish you the best.

First off, keep up the hard work and stay clean. If you have too many issues and you feel like going back to it you need to seek professional help. As hard as it will be to admit it to them, they will be happy you are trying to stay away and do everything they can to help you. You will want to be open with them. From start to finish of how you got there. That way they know how best to help you They will also be your best source of information. If you do find out they are nasty to you, you can always change providers.

If you stop taking it now baby won't be addicted at birth. It will be out of both of your systems by then. It seems like there is a very minimal link to birth defects with the drug as far as I can tell. That is probably with prescribed use.

What you need to do now is just continue to stay clean. People make mistakes, but your mistake doesn't have to define you. Shape up and learn from it. You will be nurturing this baby through pregnancy and motherhood.

Having migraines with that frequency is considered chronic pain. Has your doctor tried to find the root cause? While your doctor is figuring out if it's autoimmune, food related, or whatever else it can be, are you able to get a deep tissue massage? Maybe that could break up some of the tension your body's built up. Acupuncture may also help, but definitely get a massage if possible.

Since you've been able to largely stop taking it, I honestly think the baby will be fine. The medication you're describing sounds similar to fioricet, which is a prescription migraine medication considered safe for pregnant women. My nurse practitioner even used it during her third pregnancy. It's not intended for use every day - but as needed.

I'm more worried about you getting a break from the pain. Mama needs to rest and relax, and that's hard to do when your poor head is throbbing.

First off, please don't let judgement keep you from seeking help or someone to talk to. You are taking the correct steps to a happy/healthy baby. You are headed to a good start, its unfortunate that you will be getting some of the withdrawals symptoms, but amazing that your baby won't have to, because you are making good decisions as his/her mom.
Don't beat yourself up over the past. Learn from it, and let it go. Don't do a bunch of googling and work yourself up in the 'what if' or 'could happen'. It just stresses you out, and may trigger that feeling the pills give you, which will make it all the harder to stay off of them.
I am a smoker (cigarettes) and have not yet completely quit. I have cut down, and I plan to quit, but TBH it's been harder during this pregnancy. Baby is a suprise and there has been quite a bit of stress over how I am going to get medical treatment in terms of paying. So while I wants wnsts best for baby, I can't do it cold Turkey, I am weaning myself down, at my ability.
I know the risks, and I want what is best for all of my children. But addiction is what it is. And we handle them in different ways.
Good luck to you. Keep us updated.

I agree very brave of you to admit. I think you should mention it to your doctor as the guilt and worries will only stay there. You can explain that you were on it for medical purposes and that you grew an addiction to it and were correcting it when you found out you were pregnant, so you worked harder to weaning off of it. Now you no longer take it and feel terrible that it took you while to full wean off and the doctor can let you know risks etc and likely ease your mind/be a support to you. Expect him or her to ask you if you have remained off of it throughout your pregnancy. Its better to explain it now and in the case your child was addicted to it they know you stopped early on then just be shocked by the result and think you were the whole time. I do think your baby will be fine because birth is still many months away. As long as you remain totally off of it. Having the support of your doctor will also help you to stay off it, like if you get a terrible migraine they can have a plan for what you do instead, they also can help you with getting counseling to work through the guilt etc. My childhood friend had an abortion she didnt want it but was pressured to by her boyfriends mother who paid for it. (disgusting I know, I tried so hard to get her not to do it) and it sent her into a deep deep depression. She ended up trying meth. She found out she was pregnant again (it was right when her other baby would have been due) she used for like 4 months into her pregnancy and then got clean and has been clean for 2.5 years. Her son wasn't born addicted and they are both very healthy and happy today! She always had sole custody of him as the father remains addicted to drugs. Just stay strong, stay off it and if you feel any temptation get help right away to prevent it.

First let me tell you, you are ALREADY an amazing mom to that beautiful little baby growing inside of you! You knew what needed to be done in order to take care of your child, and you did it! THAT is what parenting is all about. Congratulations on staying clean. That is such a huge thing! Though I have not personally dealt with this either in my own pregnancies, or within my doula practice, one of my beat friends did. Her DOC was heroine. Once she realized she was pregnant she did all the same things you're doing and her precious little boys is happy, healthy, and 6 years old! She's been clean the entire time, but she tells me all the time that it's still a struggle. Know that it always will be. You have to make the choice every single day, but every time you do, you get a different kind of high that lasts much longer than the pills ever did. She said the biggest thing that helped her was to find a support group and getting herself help from a rehab facility that specifically worked with women in her situation. That helped her find a wonderful midwife who specialized in cases like hers. I would encourage you to do the same. <3

Please don’t worry.
I have gallstones and was prescribed 2x hydrocodeine 3 times per day for the rest of my pregnancy.
I haven’t been taking them as advised but still, if it wasn’t safe they wouldn’t of prescribed them to me.

Please speak to and find support in your midwife! It’s amazing you’ve managed to quit on your own, but make sure you have support.
I’m sure baby will be just fine, and your 100% doing the best thing for them so don’t punish yourself over it! X

Codeine is pretty safe in pregnancy. What I would worry about is the paracetamol. It's more dangerous and you cannot go over the dose of 1000mg in 4 hour incriments and no more than 8 in 24 hours. Reason being they are toxic to the liver and even overdosing once can cause damage. Don't worry about baby they will be fine but try at least weaning off your codeine by not taking it alongside paracetamol.

Hi all, just got back from midwife appointment!

It went wonderfully! Midwife was lovely and really supportive. She first off told me that she hasn't seen any scientific evidence that says codeine is harmful in pregnancy, plus the doses I was taking were so small that she is certain that they haven't hurt baby. Because I have stopped taking it now, she said there is no way baby will be born addicted.

She also said that there is no reason whatsoever to take baby off me and she wouldn't dream of contacting social services because there's no need!

Finally she said she doesn't routinely check baby's heartbeat but if I wanted to hear it I could. So I took her up on her offer and there was baby's heart beating away &#10084;&#65039; Oh, and she told me to stay off Google &#128514;

Overall it was a really positive experience and I feel so reassured. She has arranged to see me again in two weeks to make sure I'm doing okay but told me to call at any time if I felt like my anxiety was creeping up again.

Thanks again everyone, I feel like I can finally enjoy this pregnancy now!

That's great! I'm so glad you spoke to a health care professional and now you can put your mind at rest. Keep working hard and enjoy the rest of your pregnancy! :flower:

Thank you so much everyone!

I've managed to stay off the codeine and feel great! Also, we had an early gender scan today and found out we're having a little girl &#10084; She looks healthy and absolutely perfect which I am so so happy about &#10084;

Congratulations!! This little girl appears to be your savior! Stay strong Mama! You got this!

Hi all, thought I'd update you!

I've managed to stay off the codeine since my original post. Over a month and counting! I feel great and don't even crave it anymore.

I had my 20 week scan yesterday and my baby girl is perfect and healthy ❤ Couldn't be happier. I'm still worried something may go wrong, but I think that's just mumma anxiety!

Thanks so much for all the support, I'm so so grateful for it ❤

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->