Pregnant codeine addict... have stopped taking it now but still scared

I will say you're very brave, it takes a lot to speak up. I see you're a month in the clear, good for you! Thought I'd weigh in anyway...

I am on a cocodamol (codeine-paracetamol) repeat prescription for chronic knee pains and restless legs. I have been taking it since my daughter was born six and a half years ago. I took eight a day, and these were 30mg of codeine in each.

When I became pregnant with this baby, I stopped instantly, cold-turkey, and boy did I feel the side affects from physical withdrawal! ](*,)

I begged my doctor for a pregnancy-safe alternative, he said no to ibuprofen/ibuprofen gel, CBD oil, muscle relaxants and anything else I could think of. He then went on to say that cocodamol was fine, as long as I only took it when I really really had to and eased off in the third trimester so baby wasn't born with an addiction or anything.

Since then, I've been taking two a day just before bed time so I can get to sleep. I can get by through the rest of the day on paracetomol if I need it, but mostly I'm just sleeping much more and drinking a lot more water.

That’s brilliant well done! I came off codine in August. I was addicted to it and taking around 20 tablets of 30/500mg a day! Lucky I’m alive actually lol. I’m 9 weeks pregnant so came off just before I fell (not planned pregnancy). I feel much better in myself for not worrying every night that I’m not going to wake up in the morning :)
I don’t miss taking them as I have something positive to look forward to :). You’re doing amazing! X

Full respect to you for doing as amazingly as you have. Congratulations on your lovely baby girl due! Well done you x

So, it’s been a while since I posted! I’d just like to thank everyone again for their support and kind words!

Well, I’m thrilled to say that my daughter is now a healthy, happy, smiley ten week old! She is perfect and I cannot imagine my life without her. :) I’m also happy to say that I haven’t touched codeine since my original post. I even refused pethidine in labour as I was determined to never touch an opioid again. That meant I did it without any painkillers at all (gas and air made me feel really sick so I had to stop using it), which was... interesting haha, but it was all worth it for my baby ❤️

Again, thanks to all who responded!

28438F76-8CA7-4BAD-868A-C442D3D9E1F7.jpeg

What an amazing success story! Congratulations on your beautiful little girl - you’ve already proven to be an incredible mother for her. Wishing you all the best in the future :)

Congratulations!!! You should be really proud of yourself.

In all actuality, you haven't done anything wrong. Codeine is prescribed during pregnancy so its safe. I dont think youve caused any damage to your baby whatsoever and youre a great mom to be for worrying as much as you are. But dont worry. Im positive everything is fine. People have done worse and their babies turned out fine. Keep up the good work in quitting and never be afraid to ask for help from your doctors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->