Pregnant women in UK to be tested for smoking

TrixieLox

Reaction score
This might have been posted already but saw in news earlier that here in the UK, expectant mothers might be asked to take breath tests to prove if they are smoking or not during their pregnancies.

What does everyone think of this?

The funny thing is, tests won't be compulsory! So what's the point?! And if someone chooses to smoke during pregnancy, despite all the evidence that suggests it's not good for baby, then a test won't stop them, will it?

I was tested at my 12 week booking in app for this pregnancy. I'm not a smoker so the carbon dioxide levels came back normal at 0. I had no idea you didn't have to do the test though. The girl who went after me had levels of 5 or 6. She was 20 something weeks and had been on a smoking cessation course with the hospital so they were checking her progress. I think it will help to motivate some people to stop but don't think it's going to drastically improve anything to be honest.

i agree its not gonna stop them. But it does really p*** me off when i see pregnant women smoking.
Mind you we had an all day antenatal class on saturday and at the end of the day there was a couple who got into their car and the first thing the father did was light up a cigerette in the car. So the mother and baby was breathing in all that crap on their way home grr

I was a smoker before both pregnancies and when that line appeared i personally chose to stop straight away, and this time i dont intend on starting again like last time.
I think its a personal choice for the mother to make really, weather you have a midwife that knows you are still smoking through a test they have you take or not. I'm sure if mothers want to stop they will as i did, i cant see a test making any difference apart from stopping any mums from telling fibs to there midwives when asked?
Be interesting to see what other people think about it though :)
Must admit i dont like to see pregnant women smoking.

They were doing this two years ago when I had my daughter, at twelve weeks, and then by the time I got to third trimester they had introduced it to every appointment. I had my own card tube for the machine and everything. They also tested the father at twelve weeks. I blew a 0 but my smoking husband went off the scale. They said it was usual for someone who lived with a smoker to have no trace at all.

This time they've completely scrapped the testing and we were not even checked at 12 weeks, so it's odd they seem to be just introducing it nationally now.

People choose to smoke during pregnancy that is there choice, I am a non smoker and really dislike the fact that people smoke around me or in the streets and can really catch it in the face by walking by - this makes me worry about passive smoking harming my unborn baby, I think its a good idea for mothers to get checked out if not for there selves then at least for there child

I had to do that at my 6 week appointment! It was just like doing an asthma test or a breathalyzer (I don't drive but it looked the same as what you see on tv) x

I had no idea these tests were already taking place in parts of the uk.

Yes, I agree with others, awful to see pregnant women smoke and hate walking past smokers and accidentally inhaling it, yuck! Really admire smokers who do all they can to give up when they get pregnant, puts those who continue smoking without a care in the world to shame.

I feel a bit uneasy about it being compulsory but apparently it won't be. If it is offered to ladies and helps someone quit then this is good. I just don't like the thought of any test or procedure being made either compulsory in pregnancy or the consequences of not doing it mean you feel forced or pressured into doing it. For example a threat to report to SS xx

I wouldnt care if I had to be tested - but im not a smoker .. but surely if they start tests for smoking then this will lead to alcohol and drug tests too? Again I wouldnt care being tested for those either, never touched drugs in my life and havent had a drop of alcohol since being pregnant.
I think the most discusting sight in the world is a woman blessed with a beautiful baby bump and then see shes puffing on a fag, really makes me angry!

When I went into labour with my daughter the first thing we saw when we arrived at labour ward was a labouring woman outside with her mother, both puffing on a cigarette. I was pretty shocked.

I think they're completely pointless unless the government is going to actually make it illegal for pregnant women to smoke (which, in my opinion, they ought to do!)

I've never smoked in my life, and I see no point in me having the test, so would decline it if I was asked to take it because I see no need.

Then again, people who smoke would surely decline it too.

It's altogether a really pointless non-compulsory test!

I think they're completely pointless unless the government is going to actually make it illegal for pregnant women to smoke (which, in my opinion, they ought to do!)

What an interesting conversation and opinions. I am a maternal and fetal health researcher in my real life and I have listened to similar debates for years. In the US there are several states that have mandatory drug testing in pregnancy and at L&D admission. Women who test positive in preg and labor are often sanctioned and go in front of a judge and at times (worst case scenario) have their children apprehended. Many of these laws have been overturned recently because they are finding that women at risk (low edu, low income, on public support, etc) are foregoing prenatal care and at times, delivering unassisted due to fear of testing and repercussions of the testing. In the end, unfortunately, all we have is a bunch of laws that are resulting in fetal and neonatal deaths and NICU admissions coupled with skyrocketing maternal morbidity and mortality due to undetected complications. I don't condone substance use and abuse in pregnancy, but we need to be sure that the most vulnerable women and babies are taken care of in a compassionate way.

I've taken every test, each injection & listened to all the advice however this is the one test I would refuse to have.

I would expect my midwife to trust me as a grown adult when I answer that I do not smoke & expect it should go no further than that.

My mum is a non smoker and always has been but she had a medical in which this was included and her reading was higher than someone that smokes 20 a day just from being around smokers! That scared me as my sister smokes in her house with her children in it. I am a ex smoker. Myself and hubby stopped as soon as we found out I am pregnant and my reading was very low x

I wouldn't mind doing the test. I don't smoke and have nothing to hide, so test me. There are certain risks for a mum and the baby when you smoke so I think they should use the test to be prepared during the pregnancy and so they know to keep a close eye on the baby after labour. After all, baby will have to "quit smoking" after birth and by getting this info with a test is only good. They shouldn't use it though to go to ss as its everyone's own choice and they play with their and babies health. But to use it to be prepared for extra risks, why not?

I think a test would be good, and to give the pregnant woman, advices so she stop...

Sorry to be rude but why the Ef would you smoke during pregnancy? You really want a baby but you decide to poison it from the start?? Seriously smoking should be ban.

This might have been posted already but saw in news earlier that here in the UK, expectant mothers might be asked to take breath tests to prove if they are smoking or not during their pregnancies.

What does everyone think of this?

The funny thing is, tests won't be compulsory! So what's the point?! And if someone chooses to smoke during pregnancy, despite all the evidence that suggests it's not good for baby, then a test won't stop them, will it?

Interesting thread. I am a grown woman and do not need to be told that I should look at a cessation course. (I don't smoke. It took me three attempts to give up 7 years ago so I understand it's tough - but it's not that tough!). We are all adults and know the dangers - it does cheese me off seeing bumpy ladies smoking but that's their choice. They will have to explain their actions. I see these tests as a waste of money - why not invest in hiring the correct number of staff on each ward, why not use the money elsewhere. Nanny state or what, ladies? (eek - reading that back sounds ranty) Apologies. xx:flower:

Don't get me started on expectant moms smoking. I've smoked for years but over recent years have turned into a 'social smoker' (like to smoke when I go out for a drink).

As soon as I got my BFP I gave away end ciggies I had and wouldn't dream of having one whilst pregnant. It's really that simple.

Anyway, back to the topic, I'm Not sure how useful an optional test would be.

I guess I wonder what the difference is between this and any other screening they do for potential health problems with the baby? No, they can't force someone to stop smoking but perhaps if someone tests positive they have a different patient care course that includes education, support and possibly extra monitoring, if needed. Doesn't sound like a bad idea to me so much (if it were done in a manner like that example) because smoking does place you at a higher risk for complications so it should be known about and properly monitored/treated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->