Preparing for a Preemie- Anyone with NICU experience?

Myshelsong

LTTTC Success Story
Reaction score
Right now we are 32w4d and was diagnosed with very low fluid levels.
Because of this we are having weekly ultrasounds and nst a few times a week.
We are praying we can make it too 35w, but looks like it will be sooner with a NICU stay for awhile.

Anyone have any experience with nicu?

Nothing personal, but my sister had her son at 31 weeks and he spent 5 weeks in the nicu. He has done very well and is now 3.

You're at a great gestation and having a girl will be in your favor as they tend to do better than boys in the nicu.

No personal experience but a friend had her baby at 24 weeks weighing a tiny 1lb 8 and she is now a thriving 3.5 year old and you would never know a thing! You are already at a great gestation for a preemie baby so every day you manage to hang in there the better but I'm sure baby will just fine. Have heard lots of coconut water recommended for low fluid levels also. Sending you a big hug, scary time im sure xx

Thanks ladies! 33 w tomorrow so only another week to 34w.
Having a growth scan on Wednesday to make sure she is progressing and we will go from there!

I did everything to get fluid levels back up, including coconut water. Unfortunately it did not work for me

Hopefully your scan goes well and you can make it until 34/35 weeks. I had my last son at 35 weeks for the opposite reason - I had TOO much fluid - and he was born healthy with no need for an NICU stay. I've never had a baby born early but I have a friend whose baby was born only 2 lbs. He is now 4 years old and, other than being a bit shorter than his peers, you'd never even know he was a preemie. He talks like typical 4 year olds and everything.

Thanks for the positive thoughts!
Our fluid level is remaining low but hasn’t gotten lower so they are confident in her staying in for at least a few more days. She gained some weight and is now 4.3lbs and moving around a lot so everyone is happy. Really hoping we can keep her in for another week or two!
Our hospital is referring us to high risk now and we will be seeing them on Wednesday with another ultrasound so fingers crossed!!

Hopefully baby can stay in for a few more weeks :hugs:

Ah hopefully you will keep her in a bit longer! But she is a great weight and gestation already so im sure she will Be just fine whenever she needs to come out. Good luck xx

Made it too 34 weeks!!
Our high risk appointment is tomorrow so fingers crossed we are still ok to keep her in a bit longer.

Went to high risk yesterday, got an ultrasound and Met some people on the team. All seem really nice and we have been officially transferred to their care.
Right now Fluid Levels are staying low but haven’t decreased again in the last week, so we are doing biweekly monitoring and weekly ultrasounds. So good news I guess!

Right now baby looks stable so we are hoping that she will be staying happy and healthy for another week! Hoping to make it too 35w or longer but taking it one day at a time. Still so surreal that it could be any day, just trying to make sure I have everything ready.

I'm glad things are going OK and I hope baby stays in for a bit longer yet :)

Me too! I know she will be early just hoping to keep her safe and growing for as long as possible.

Great that she's still doing fine in there. My waters broke unexpectedly at 35w1d and baby came the next morning. The NICU team was in the delivery room because we weren't sure how she'd be since this was unexpected. But everything was fine and she went to the room with me. I hope your experience is similar and baby girl comes out healthy. Best of luck to both of you.

Me. Went into labour at 33+4 they stopped it and my waters went at 36 weeks. They said everything would be fine the NICU doctors were atcdelivery which was good as DS went floppy at birth. Has him with me 2 days on ward before he kept becoming blue floppy and unresponsive. 2 days in intensive care and 4 in special care as DS kept going floppy and not breathing for a few mins. They were great really encouraged skin to skin when DS was able to they did every test possible to check his brain function infection etc (suspected sepsis is outcome plus ABI blood abnormality). You can stay whenever you want though had to sleep on ward without DS. They encourage feeding whatever way (first 48 hours DS was tube fed so I expressed breast milk) and always gained your views. DS got discharged from hospital on day 11. I would have been out before but I breast fed so was needed as when rube was removed I was to feed on demand

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->