Preparing for C Section - support thread

franny_k

Mummy to Grace and Jude
Reaction score
Hi ladies :flower:

Thought I'd start this thread for those of us who will be having our babies via c section (whatever the reason) as a way of supporting each other and suggesting ways of preparing and recovering from the op. I've already had a section (EMCS) with DD and unless monkey comes before Tuesday then I'll be having a repeat section, this time scheduled though, so hopefully get to experience my LO being delivered rather than be under a general.

The main thing I'm worried about is being away from my DD for two nights - never left her overnight before :cry:. Still, my mum is coming up to stay to look after her and OH will be with her when he's not with me and our new arrival.

Right now, I'm feeling a bit odd. It's strange knowing your delivery date and I'm beginning to worry about how baby 2 will fit in, whether or not our DD will be OK with it all. I'm trying to stay calm and relaxed. Going to get some arnica tomorrow to start taking to help with recovery.

So, for those of you facing a CS - how do you feel, what are your concerns and do you have any advice for others?

Look forward to hearing your views x

Petrified is how I'm feeling lol. I've been chewing everything over, how I'm gonna manage ds & how dh will cope. Then the school run as I won't be able to drive until January-again the last bits for Christmas too!

The procedure bit I'm not worried about as I will take that in my stride. I'm also worried about my babies and what sort of shape they'll be in when they come out but I think I'm worrying for the sake of worrying now-too much time on my hands!

I know how you feel. Karinna will be 17 months old. I'm worried about how she will react when i bring the new one home from the hospital, plus recovering from the c-section and dealing with a toddler. She goes to day care twice a week right now, and comes to work with me (i have my own business) the other 3 days a week. When the new baby is born I'm planning on sending karinna to daycare full time (5 days a week) for AT LEAST a week or 2 after i get out of the hospital because dealing with a newborn after a c-section is hard enough while healing.
My family and my OH's family will take turns watching karinna for the 3/4 days we are in the hospital, but i'm worried about that also because she has never been away from us for that long. I know she will be good and cause no problems, but i'm just worried that she will be upset not seeing us for a couple days. Of course she can come visit in the hospital though!

Hi, im having one too and Im scared to death to be honest
Im worried Im going to die during the surgery or i'll get complications which means i'll be in hospital a week or more :(

I have boys and the thought of leaving them a week, even days, bothers me greatly :(
Im concerned I will walk out the house, say bye to my boys and never see them again :(

Absolutely terrified I am.

I'm having my csection in less then two days! 45 1/2 hrs! I'm excited but nervous. Lots of emotions. It hasn't hit me that i'm not going back to work for 10 weeks, it hasn't hit me despite the baby swing and stroller and pack and play in our livingroom the last 2 months and the full nursery thats been set up the last few months that this is happening.

I'm not so much nervous about the actual surgery. It is what it is. I'm a bit worried about the pain of recovery, but i've had surgery before abdominal...i've had gastric bypass 7 years ago... a tummy tuck 4 years ago... and this surgery i'll be awake for. I'm nervous about the flood of emotions being handed a baby, a part of me whom for forever will change my life. My husband is nothing but excited it seems but i'm having jitters, not that I would want anything other then this in my life... My husband and I have been married for 3 years been together 5, we've traveled we've lived the care free lifestyle, we are kinda homebodies though... we enjoy having people over for grilling out, sitting on our dock fishing ete... I know a child is going to fit into our lives perfectly but it doesn't prevent the last min jitters lol.

Tommorow I have post op dr appt. thats kinda nerve rackin. Tommorow when we go to bed it will be with our alarm set for 3:30 am! because we have to be at the hospital at 4:30am and csec is at 6:30am!

Hi ladies, I will be having my 4th c-section on February and am both excited and a bit nervous. There are still several things that are up in the air like whether my Mom or my MIL will be here at the time. My hubby will be here too but even though this is my 4th section, I am still nervous as to how things will go here at home while I am in the hospital.

I know my other three kids will be fine with hubby and whoever else is here visiting. It is MUCH easier for me this time around because they are older now, ages 10, 8, and 5 so they will understand what is happening and won't need me in the middle of the night. It was much harder the last couple of times because they were so much younger.

I am more stressed out about my toy poodle, if that makes any sense!:haha: She is like a baby to me and I am the only one who knows just how to handle her because she is so small. I am worried that without me here, no one will take her out on time or that someone will end up being too rough with her. This sounds silly but I am freaking out about it. I have debated on possible having her boarded for a week during all of this. I don't know.

To be honest, I am not really worried about the actual surgery much since I've been through it plenty of times. I just hope and pray that everything goes smoothly and I can return home as quickly as possible. :thumbup:

Thanks for starting this thread. I think it will help a lot of us!

Petrified is how I'm feeling lol. I've been chewing everything over, how I'm gonna manage ds & how dh will cope.

Yep, this is me this afternoon, too! Just had a little sob and feel better. It's quite overwhelming knowing that it's going to happen on a certain day. Thing is, DH and DS will cope because they have to - well that's how I see it with mine! Have you got any family/ friends to help out over next few weeks? My mum is coming up tomorrow (she lives 200 miles away!) and will stay til Friday. So I've GOT to be out of hospital by then!

I know how you feel. Karinna will be 17 months old. I'm worried about how she will react when i bring the new one home from the hospital

That's something I've worried about, too. My friend recently had her no 2 and her DS is same age as my DD. He initially went through a stroppy phase but 12 weeks on he is the same happy little boy so I'm hoping that the LOs will adjust well.

Absolutely terrified I am.

Aw...try not to worry too much. It's a pretty straightforward procedure these days. I know so many people who've had them and I am the only one who had complications! I got an infection in my wound but it was hardly noticeable and it cleared up with antibiotics. Happened after I'd left hospital and I didn't really notice it. The thing to focus on is your LO, especially when you're in hospital. And when you get home it's the best feeling in the world. PM me if you want to offload or just want to talk x

I'm having my csection in less then two days!

Me too! Tuesday am. Got my post-op tomorrow too. You're right about the jitters - I've been quite emotional today. But ultimately I'm getting to meet my little baby very soon. Repacked hospital bag this afternoon which made it properly real - again! x

To be honest, I am not really worried about the actual surgery much since I've been through it plenty of times. I just hope and pray that everything goes smoothly and I can return home as quickly as possible. :thumbup:

That's my thoughts really - although this is my second section and this time I'll be awake. I just want to focus on getting BF established, walking around and getting my ass back home! As soon as I got home I felt SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much better!

Nice to meet you all x

I'm having my 3rd c section in the morning :happydance:. First 2 were emergencies so this is my first planned one too. I'm blooming cacking it tbh! I've just put the car seat and our bags in the car, had a little cry and am now trying to keep as calm as I can.

I have only slept away from DH when I've been in hospital having my other children and absolutely hate being away from him :cry:. Sounds stupid but I think thats what I'm dreading most. I am adamant I am only staying in the one night and my midwife said this should be fine, so I'm hoping the hospital are the same. I tend to get quite bad baby blues in the first few days afterwards, and really need my hubby and family around me, not stuck in a hospital.

I'm very anxious about everything this time, and would actually prefer for my water to break or me go into labour first so its all rushed again, rather than the laid back planned approach.

I also have some sad feelings as this is our last ever night with just my girls, and I'm scared they will think I'm neglecting them when the baby comes etc. I'm sure they wont but its a feeling I just cant shift. This is also going to be my last pregnancy, so as much as I dont like being pregnant, I'm also very sad that we wont be doing this again. Hubby has been fab throughout this pregnancy and since we had a loss in Jan, and I'm scared once the baby is out he will change :dohh: (completely stupid feeling but pregnancy is not good for paranoia)

I am a massive fretter and pessimist so to me everthing always seems worse than it is. I just want tomorrow morning to be over so I can get on and enjoy our little dude, because atm I feel like I'm going to need dragging out the door to get me to the hospital :wacko:

Hope everything goes to plan for everyone else, I'm sure it will and cant wait to read all your experiences. :hugs: xxx

Mrs N - totally have the same feelings. I'll be in the same boat as you tomorrow night. Spent this afternoon packing and repacking bags and it just made me feel so sad. Weird! Last time I had 3 days to prepare for my section so it felt a lot better. We've known this date for months and it just feels like it's dragged and also that it's a bit "un-natural" iykwim? Having said that, I know this is the best thing for all of us. It just feels a bit too prepared! Oh, and I'm like you - got terrible baby blues for the first two days but then as soon as I was home I was fine. It feels so good when you get in your own bed again!

Hope all goes well for you tomorrow - look forward to reading your birth story.

What a great thread (iykwim)! I have a breech baby and have decided not to take ECV for now and will have a c section. Trying to get my head around it really and worry about the whole process. I suppose it is just trying to mentally prepare for it but this is hard to do. I can't get it into my head that I will know the day my LO will arrive and it might only be a few weeks away. I don't feel ready but can't wait at the same time. Driving myself :wacko:

:hugs:

Great thread. Thanks!

I am scared, nervous and excited. I know the procedures, but still scared as it's such a big OP. I'm due in 4 weeks. yikes!

I have until my consultant appointment on 29 December to make a decision on VBAC or ELCS and I'm going to opt for the section.

As I've had one before (EMCS), I'm not worried about the procedure or recovery, as I know it's nowhere near as bad as many people like to make out. The only thing I am nervous about is how I will feel being more aware of what's going on this time. With DD I had been in labour for 15 hours (full on labour too due to a failed induction, no gradual build up of contractions), no sleep and a cocktail of drugs being pumped into me due to pre-eclampsia, my kidneys starting to shut down, a high dose of BP meds, maximum dose of epidural they were allowed to give me and god knows what else. So by the time I had the surgery I was awake but pretty whacked out and it all seemed to go by in a flash. So I am wondering if I will be cacking myself over the awareness I will have this time or whether I will take it all in my stride.

I have until my consultant appointment on 29 December to make a decision on VBAC or ELCS and I'm going to opt for the section.

As I've had one before (EMCS), I'm not worried about the procedure or recovery, as I know it's nowhere near as bad as many people like to make out. The only thing I am nervous about is how I will feel being more aware of what's going on this time. With DD I had been in labour for 15 hours (full on labour too due to a failed induction, no gradual build up of contractions), no sleep and a cocktail of drugs being pumped into me due to pre-eclampsia, my kidneys starting to shut down, a high dose of BP meds, maximum dose of epidural they were allowed to give me and god knows what else. So by the time I had the surgery I was awake but pretty whacked out and it all seemed to go by in a flash. So I am wondering if I will be cacking myself over the awareness I will have this time or whether I will take it all in my stride.

Good to hear experiences. My sister had two and said they were fine, her recovery was ok as well and was up and about quickly. It is fear of the unknown for me just not knowing what to expect or how I will react / cope.

Hi ladies :flower:

Thought I'd start this thread for those of us who will be having our babies via c section (whatever the reason) as a way of supporting each other and suggesting ways of preparing and recovering from the op. I've already had a section (EMCS) with DD and unless monkey comes before Tuesday then I'll be having a repeat section, this time scheduled though, so hopefully get to experience my LO being delivered rather than be under a general.

The main thing I'm worried about is being away from my DD for two nights - never left her overnight before :cry:. Still, my mum is coming up to stay to look after her and OH will be with her when he's not with me and our new arrival.

Right now, I'm feeling a bit odd. It's strange knowing your delivery date and I'm beginning to worry about how baby 2 will fit in, whether or not our DD will be OK with it all. I'm trying to stay calm and relaxed. Going to get some arnica tomorrow to start taking to help with recovery.

So, for those of you facing a CS - how do you feel, what are your concerns and do you have any advice for others?

Look forward to hearing your views x

Is it your hospital's policy for a 2 night stay? The info sheet my midwife gave me said 24 hours for mine as long as all has gone well, although I'm sure they said 2 nights at my 20 week consultant appointment.

Thank you for starting this thread!

Im petrified! Got my ELCS on 8th December. I hate being away from my little girl and from home so Im hoping for a mega quick recovery!

Its great to read about how things work and the experiences of others.

To all having their sections - good luck and a speedy recovery!!

xxxxxxx

Im scared that my baby wont come out easily due to her strange position. Ive had a bad vaginal delivery in past and baby needed resucitated. It was the silence when she came out. I want this baby to scream her lungs out.
I am scared of the fact everyone in op theatre wil b in scrubs & that they might all b serious i hope they wil b relaxed and put me at ease. i'll feel self concious too i dont like to be centre of attention.
But my biggest fear is going into labour early & the hospital being busy when i get there.
Its my 3rd and im 3 times as scared.
Good luck everyone :/

Hi again ladies, I just wanted to post a link to another thread asking about C-section experiences for those of you who may not have gone through one before. :thumbup:

I also posted a longish reply on mine there as well.

https://www.babyandbump.com/pregnan...27-any-info-c-section-muchly-appreciated.html

Snuffy - my consultant said probably two nights although if I end up having my section first thing on Tuesday then I'm going to try and get out on Wednesday afternoon - am sure they'll appreciate the bed! With DD it was EMCS which is why I think they kept me in. I also lost quite a lot of blood and was borderline anaemic so think they wanted to keep an eye on me. Also, had a general which meant I was out of it. Have heard much better things about planned sections including improved recovery times (although there are also lots of people who have had EMCS and recovered well).

One thing I would advise everyone to do is to get up and get walking about as soon as you possibly can. It makes you feel so much better. I was desperate for my catheter to be removed so I kept drinking tonnes of water and filling up the bag! In the end the MW was so fed up with me they removed it so I could go to the loo. It wasn't the easiest trip in the world but once you are up and about you do feel a lot better and they'll be more inclined to let you go home! x

Hi Ladies,

My elective c-section is scheduled for the 23rd of December! I'm nervous about the procedure as I had a traumatic 1st labour with my son & I don't know what to expect but I have an awesome OB who is highly recommended so let's hope all goes well =)

I'm upset about not being home for Christmas - I can't believe that u ladies get to go home after 2 nights.. I have been told to expect a stay of 5 nights... What the???!

I have no idea how everything will go at home whilst I'm not there, I will miss my husband & son so much =(

My other fear is the recovery, I have been told many different stories but I'm hoping it will be quick & as painless as possible (obviously I know it will hurt but I'm hoping it won't be as much as my natural birth recovery coz it was awful)!!

Good luck & I look forward to chatting with u =)

Xx

Snuffy - my consultant said probably two nights although if I end up having my section first thing on Tuesday then I'm going to try and get out on Wednesday afternoon - am sure they'll appreciate the bed! With DD it was EMCS which is why I think they kept me in. I also lost quite a lot of blood and was borderline anaemic so think they wanted to keep an eye on me. Also, had a general which meant I was out of it. Have heard much better things about planned sections including improved recovery times (although there are also lots of people who have had EMCS and recovered well).

One thing I would advise everyone to do is to get up and get walking about as soon as you possibly can. It makes you feel so much better. I was desperate for my catheter to be removed so I kept drinking tonnes of water and filling up the bag! In the end the MW was so fed up with me they removed it so I could go to the loo. It wasn't the easiest trip in the world but once you are up and about you do feel a lot better and they'll be more inclined to let you go home! x
Are you able to leave as soon as that??? God I hope so..

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->