Preparing for TTC with high blood pressure

Dinah93

Happy mum to two preemies
Reaction score
Hi all,

Was sent here by a pregnant friend, I'm not at the TTC stage, but we are thinking about it. My fiance and I get married in just over 10 months, and he is very keen to start trying for a baby straight away. I'd rather wait six months to a year, but thats neither here nor there as we're both flexible, when its right, we'll know it.

So my post is because I have high blood pressure (one of the reasons we want children earlier on rather than waiting until we're a bit further into the whole marriage/career route), I'm on Bendroflumethiazide and Amlodipine tablets every day, which I know aren't safe for use in pregnancy. So does anyone know how long in advance I should look to go onto a 'safe' but less effective one? Or can I wait until we actually get pregnant?

I'm also on the implant at the moment, but I've had 3 periods in 4 weeks so am thinking of coming off it, any experience for contraception save for use with high blood perssure would be appreciated (especially if fertility returns to normal soon after coming off it). Condoms are not an option as I'm allergic and OH finds them too restrictive.

My mum was in hospital with high blood pressure for 5 months when she was pregnant with me (and I was 6 weeks early!) so my big fear is a similar thing happening to me, so I want to try to be as on top of things as I can before we start trying.

x

I would address these questions with your doctor. He/she will know alternative medications, etc. that you can use while TTC and pregnant.

Do you eat a healthy diet? I know when I cut out butter and full fat cheeses, as well as extra sodium and high fat foods my cholesterol and blood pressure dropped. I also take fish oil pills (though that's for the cholesterol). That's something my doctor recommended for me because he didn't want to put me on prescription medication.

Thanks for your reply. I tried talking to my doctor and she just said 'we'll worry about that when the time comes' yet my hospital consultant said it needed sorting before trying! Grrr! I'm probably getting a bit ahead of myself, but as soon as I feel mentally ready I want to by physically ready too.

I try to eat healthily, my bmi is smack bang in the middle of normal, I always get my 5 a day, I never add salt to food or eat ready meals, I have flora omega margerine in sandwiches not butter, but I admit I do eat full fat cheese. However it is too high to be controlled by diet and exercise alone, I did that until I was 21 then they decided I needed medication.

Hehe thank you. My OH was holding a friends baby for an hour the other day after church while she helped me do the coffees, have to admit I turned to mush inside watching them play together and its got me thinking more seriously about getting baby ready.

Yeah, I would definitely attempt to sort it out before trying. I don't know where you live but can you try a different doctor? (I know the UK system is different from over here in the US so I'm not sure). I wouldn't take a medication that says not to use during pregnancy while trying to TTC, I don't know what your doctor is thinking :dohh:

I'm in the UK, at present I am only in the catchement of one surgery, and while they have 3 doctors working for them, the one I'm already with is the blood pressure specalist, so any other doctor at the practice just says to see her! I'm thinking I go back and try again, maybe she'll take me more seriously now we have a definite time frame for starting to TTC in mind.

Hi Dinah,

It's me CMD!!! Just wanted to extend a warm welcome to Baby & Bump. I think you will find everyone very warm and welcoming, with plenty of good advice

:hugs:

Id just put your foot down and say no we will talk about it now. Have you tryed alternative therapys to reduce your blood pressure. I think things like aromatherapy and acupuncture have been shown to help

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->