Preparing to wean.... skipping baby rice!!!

wtbmummy

Reaction score
We have decided that due to bad reflux we will start weaning lo between 17-20weeks.

I have read some bad things about baby rice so have decided not to use it. Instead I will be skipping straight to fruit and veg. I will be making my own food as then I know exactly what I am feeding lo and he can eat what we eat.

I would just like to know if there is anyone else out there who weaned 4-5mths who skipped the baby rice, if so how did your lo react to fruits and veg?

I'm trying to be prepared and have even found a website on making baby food, trying to find a good mixer too. With around 5weeks until we start I just dont want to get anything wrong.
(Ds can already hold his bottle, bring things to his mouth and sit aided and already uses his high chair whilst im cooking so he can be with me)

Thanks in advance :)

We weaned at around 4 months, never had baby rice, loved puréed things :) we signed up to the cow & gate club and got a free weaning guide which really helped me set out my own plan, introduced 2 tastes a week, just a spoonful at breakfast, then after a little while gave him more & got breakfast established with fruit purées, then introduced veg purées for dinner and after a while got that meal established, then when he hit 6 months I gave him finger foods at lunch time. He loves food now, largely eats what we eat minus any added salt & sugar :) good luck, we loved weaning!

I think I'm going to skip the baby rice stage too and go straight to fruit and veg purees. I had the Cow and Gate weaning guide with DS and it was really useful so I've ordered another one for dd

Thanks, I have just been and ordered the cow&gate weaning book so thank you both for that :flower:
I'm actually getting a bit nervous about this next adventure but ds is so ready now. We are still going to try and hold off till hes 19-20wks but I feel kind of bad doing so.
I have found a website with lots of recipes and am buying a hand blender this weekend.
So many things to consider, even got to buy the bowls and spoons etc...
All things that never crossed my mind before :wacko:
Am I right in thinking you offer sippy cup with water from 6ms? With all the new "guidelines" I'm finding it so hard to find out what I want/need to know :dohh:

My ds isn't even 3 yet & I've forgotten everything about weaning! I remember giving him cool boiled water in a sippy cup the same time we started his spoon feeds so that would have been just under 6 months. I have the Annabelle Karmel cookbook & it was fab for first recipes and advice, I must hunt it out again!

Definitely skip the baby rice. I used it with dd1 and it was fine, but dd2 it gave her really bad constipation and had her crying for a whole 24hrs to the point I almost took her to a&e (I had my shoes on and everything but then she fell asleep!).

I have read that its better to start with veg rather than fruit so that they dont get too used to the sweetness of the fruit. After our ordeal with the rice cereal we gave her pumpkin and she tolerated it well and enjoyed the taste. Then introduced a new food every couple of days. We also offer cool boiled water with meals.

We're weaning at 3 months and skipped baby rice,gone straight to fruit and veg purees. Baby loves them! Mind you I have a big hungry boy (not fat!) the smiles and noises he comes out with are fab and after a week were having half a jar every lunch time, just to ease it in.

Out of curiosity, why is the reccomendation to wait until 6 months to wean? Is it due to the ability to properly digest?

Out of curiosity, why is the reccomendation to wait until 6 months to wean? Is it due to the ability to properly digest?

Some people say its because of the digestive system. A lot of people are weaning and giving there baby food there tiny bellys can't handle until 6months (like meat for example) However my hv actually said to a big group of us that if your baby isnt satisfied and is showing the signs then fruit and veg wont hurt them. (Whereas babies are having reactions to foods such as wheat when being given before 6months)

So you just need to think ahead I think :thumbup:

I have been giving ds fruit and veg this week and hes slowly taking more which is a good sign and seems to really enjoy it and try really hard :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->