Prescription and/or High Energy Formulas Thread

So do the steroids 'cure' the type of epilepsy Andrew has although it could come back again?
Findlay was weighed on Tuesday and was 12lb 15oz (born at 5lb 7oz). He's still in newborn size tops and has recently gone into 0-3 trousers as he has long legs but they are huge round the waist so fall down :dohh: He is just over 14 months old (so 13 months corrected) but developmentally is around the 3-4 month mark.

Nappies

I use reusable nappies and reusuable wipes and have done since Findlay was about 7 weeks old (so just under 6lbs). We were told when he was born that his length was all his height and it still is (he was born weighing 5lb 7oz but was in up to 4lb clothes as he was soooo skinny). He looked like a Weeble when he was younger in his nappies as even the tiny ones were huuuge on him :haha:

His nappies confused the hospital greatly during his months and months of stays last year so if for any reason I wouldn't be there for a nappy change (ie I'd gone home to pick up more clothes, wash nappies or very occasionally have a night sleeping at home) I would leave a nappy and wrap that was simple to put on and leave instructions for the nurses on how to put it on. There were times though that they had ignored the plain simple nappy I had left out and gone through his drawers to find a v pretty one (he has lots of fancy ones) and put that on instead so we've come back to find him wearing all sorts of odd combinations from 2 nappies and no wrap to a pocket nappy with no stuffing etc :haha:

So do the steroids 'cure' the type of epilepsy Andrew has although it could come back again?

I don't understand it completely. It's as if the steroids cure the hypsarrythmia (brainwave pattern) that he had at that point; but other spasm-inducing brainwaves could develop over time. Statistics show that IS babies are more prone to other forms of epilepsy as they get older, too.

Findlay was weighed on Tuesday and was 12lb 15oz (born at 5lb 7oz). He's still in newborn size tops and has recently gone into 0-3 trousers as he has long legs but they are huge round the waist so fall down :dohh: He is just over 14 months old (so 13 months corrected) but developmentally is around the 3-4 month mark.

So he's roughly the same size as Andrew just now. Is he teething? I found that Andrew's mouth was too small for most teethers, he wasn't comfortable with them; but he loves one particular type that's actually designed for molars! We've also recently found a ball toy that has narrow handgrips, which he loves.

Hi ladies,
my dd is 16 weeks old now and about 3/4 weeks ago was having constant diarrhoea and some blood. Doc says it's cows milk protein allergy so put her on Nutramigen. It's taken us this long to get her take the bottle (I have tried cutting dairy out of diet-but she still had mucousy poo) but thankfully I found the Breastflow bottles quite by accident. Anyway, she's slowly taking more and more each day-but i'm not sure how much she should be taking in a feed? she's averaging about 80/90 per feed. Also I think she's almost ready to move from 3 hours to 4 hours feeds...do you think she should be taking more? We have jabs on Friday so I can check with doc then. Also we're flying long-haul on Sunday night...not looking forward to taking millions of bottles and changing timezones-breastfeeding is SO much easier!! :( ANytips?

Gratuitous bump!

Andrew is still on his prescription Infatrini, taking around 500ml a day, sometimes less if we can get him to take more solid food. I must ask the Paed how long she wants him to stay on this, as opposed to weaning him onto cow's milk.

Hey long time since been on here went to hospital AGAIN and AGAIN they discharged him no point seeing a dietitian and doc at hospital said he is eating enough for how big he is lol. he is having around 15-20oz of milk a day but don't know how long he will be on SMA high energy for he is now 11months and weighs 15lb the carton says up to 18months so you never know lol Mckenzie has now got part of his first tooth so cut lol

Hi Ladies,

Been a while since been on here as been a bit manic with moving house.

Hope you and your little ones are all well :)

Sleeping Bubs, how is McKenzie doing? does he eat much solids? Anymore teeth yet? He looks so adorable in the picture :)

Marleysgirl, how is Andrew doing? how is the weaning going? how much does he weigh now?

Lou78 , I hope the flight went ok, where did you go? did the jabs go ok too? Is she on 4 hourly feeds now? Does she feed through the night too? My little one only started sleeping through at 10 months, am loving the 6am lay in instead of the 2.am we used to have!

Poppy is doing great :D finally got her test results last week after months of re-testing and they have come back negative, we were so relieved and happy we cracked open the champagne.

She is now 16lbs 2oz (just under the 9th centile) and is just about to wear 6-9 months clothes (on 2nd centile), she has been on normal formula for over a month now and seems to be gaining weight ok still, so I am reluctant to put her back on Infatrini. Her consultant would rather her go back on it but said he is happy for me to do what I think is best as I am her mum :) and he will just review it at her next check up in October. I do use the Infatrini we have to put in her mashed potato and things though :) Although at the moment all she wants to eat is bread sticks, yoghurt and raisins the little madam!! She has 4 teeth now and OMG it hurts when she bites you, she has just started pulling herself up and shuffling along the sofa so development wise I think she is doing ok :)

Enough ramblings from me

x

HI willow77 wow Poppy is doing well how old is she now?, Mckenzie is much better with eating, still on SMA high energy around 13oz a day, 3 meals and some snacks. But still really slow at putting weight on still 15lb been that for two weeks, but no concerns as he is now walking so getting him weighed monthly, He is one next wed and still in 3-6month clothes. He has 3 teeth and the 4th has nearly broken through. I have tried him on toddler milk but seems to like his milk again he went off it for a while.

Hi Sleeping Bubs,

Good to hear from you, was wondering if everyone had disappeared :)

Poppy is nearly 11 months (10 months corrected) where did the time go?! Poppy has about 600-750ml of milk so about 20-25 oz's I think, she doesn't have much food still just 2-3 oz's at a time :( her consultant said this is fine for now though. She is a total cheese monster lol. She did go through a phase of having 4-5 oz's of food for a few weeks but it didn't last.

Aww bless McKenzie is he just burning off all the calories he has. As soon as they start crawling/walking there is no keeping them still is there. Does he nap much during the day? Are they happy as long as he doesn't lose weight? Sounds like he is developing well though and they must be pleased he is walking :)

Are you doing anything for McKenzies birthday? I've got no idea what to buy Poppy for hers, am hoping to do a little family do for her though :)

Hey Willow77 I know what u mean isn't a lot of activity on here any more. Are bless her she bigger than Mckenzie now Poppy is having more milk than Mckenzie ever did max he would take was 25oz today he has had 11oz so far waiting for him to want his bedtime bottle but to busy playing. Walking is a nightmare he is doing well but has banged his head loads today! (looks really bad lol) Naps around 2-3hrs during the day so not much don't know where his energy comes from!! He has a new word Duck now he is obsessed with rubber ducks lol

yer hv visitors are ok unless he looses loads of weight he is never going to be above the 0.4th centile

We are having a party on his birthday was going to be a family one but seems to have expanded so now at the scout hut and loads of people are coming :) We haven't got him much one toy and clothes and a postman pat DVD.

So all poppy's test results were ok? How is she doing now? Is she liking normal formula better now? What milk do you use?

Hi Sleeping Bubs,

Glad I am not just chatting to myself on here!!

Aww can't wait until Poppy starts talking, she sais 'mamma' but thats it at the moment. OH is most upset she doesn't say 'dadda'.

So horrible when they bang their heads isn't it, keep threatening to buy Poppy a crash helmet! She has banged it on her cot headboard a few times recently and just hear this awful thud on the monitor followed by tears :( Does McKenzie have a walker?

Do you still have to take McKenzie for regular check ups? Poppy's are 3 monthly now :) as all her results came back negative (it seems she was just struggling to break down the protein in the Infatrini) she looks more in proportion now too :) Going to get her weighed next week I think, see how much she has put in in the last month. She loves her new formula (just SMA follow on, started with the normal one first for few weeks). So many formula's out there it's hard to choose, must have saved a fortune though with 9 months of the prescription stuff!

Hope the party goes well and the weather is nice for it, no doubt McKenzie will have loads of pressies from all his birthday guests :) bet you can't believe he is going to be 1. Time to start thinking about baby no 2 ;)

Well Mckenzie looks like a walking bruise at moment banged his head so many times in the last two days. he had one of those sit in ones untill he was 8months ish as he got him self out of it. Got a push along walker but doesn't use it anymore as he is really sturdy on his feet now unless he is tired lol

Just getting him weighed at the clinic every month now so unless he loses a lot of weight no-one is worrying now (AT LAST)

This year has gone to quick had a little birthday meal at my oh parents house today as they live 50miles away so can't come to his party so had some of his presents already lots of toys and some really big clothes lol one pair of trousers size 9-12months go up to his shoulders lol

We are already thinking of baby number two lol and you?

another note Mckenzie has had 480mls of milk today in only 2 bottles can't believe it had 230mls this morning at 04:30 and 250mls this evening I couldn't believe it madness lol Think I might wait a week or so b4 trying to introduce a cup again as he is now drinking milk better

Hi everyone

We're currently switching over to Nutramigen as the doctor thinks Lottie is intolerant to Lactose. I'm not convinced at all but I'm at the stage where I'm willing to try anything and everything!!

She will take a few oz of feed (usually about 3) and then go ballistic screaming,. shoving th bottle out of her mouth and refusing any more feed. She's also really sicky. We were originally on Hipp Organic then moved to C&G comfort (made her more sick!!) and now Nutramigen. We tried Gaviscon as we thought it might be reflux but she refused point blank to take it either by itself or in bottles so we have no idea if it would have worked :wacko: The doctor refuses to let us try anything other than gaviscon but has now stuck us on this milk.

We've got a dietician appointment tomorrow so fingers crossed they will be able to come up with a solution as the Nutramigen doesnt' seem to be making a difference :(

My little one is 10 weeks old (tomorrow) and has been on Nutriprem2 since he was 6 weeks old (EBM before that) he's been really constipated, I've been offering him water twice a day as his weight gain is pretty good... did anyone elses LO suffer with constipation on the formula? I worry it's too rich for him

Hey Pink.crazy my lo was on Nutriprem2 from birth to 6months and had no problem with constipation but was having water and started little amount of fruit from 4months

wow no action on this for a while!! So a little update on Mckenzie got him weighed today now 13months and he weighed exctally the same as he did a month ago 7kg 15lb 7oz I couldn't believe it typical but he has grown in length by 2.5cm (now 69.5cm) since the 31st July so at least we no he is growing lol Hv suggest giving him a 4th smaller meal b4 it bed time bottle a milk based snack to try and get him to go through the night and to put weight on!! I haven't tried giving him a beaker fo milk for a while as hv said he is still small so wait a while!! How is everyone else doing??

My daughter is 12 months and on EleCare - now mixed at the toddler amount of 30 calories an ounce. She's been on it since 5 months. She was on Alimentum and Neocate before - she has intestinal malabsorption, FPIES, Allergies.

Hi Ladies,

I hope you are all ok and your little ones are doing well :) and chunking out nicely.

Pink Crazy - Poppy had a few instances of constipation whilst on Nutriprem2 but found that a little water helped :)

Update on Poppy, she is now just over a year old and 18lbs and is on the 9th centile for both weight and height now :D saw her consultant last week and he is very pleased with her development and weight and doesn't want to see her now until she is 2! If I have any concerns before then though to give him a call and he will see her, I really couldn't ask for a better consultant :)
She was originally on Nutriprem2 then Infatrini but she has been on normal formula for about 3-4 months now and she seems to have done well on it. I do worry as she really doesn't eat much at all :( I am talking just a few mouthfuls for lunch and dinner most days :( and of course all of her desert the cheeky monkey! but I guess aslong as her weight doesn't drop then she should be ok. She loves fruity bread banana sandwiches and as it has 100 calories per little slice so guess she is stacking up some calories.

Sleeping Bubs - how is Mckenzie doing? is he on normal milk now? I have 100 bottles of Infatrini in my utility room, must phone up SCBU nurse to see if they want them as such a waste otherwise.
Poppy is just a bit taller than McKenzie at 70cm, she was given some 18-24 month clothes for her birthday :o maybe next birthday they will fit lol. What size clothes is Mckenzie in now? Poppy is in a mixture of 6-9 and 9-12 (with the sleeves and legs rolled up of course lol) she still fits in some of her 0-3 month vests though which is a mystery!! Has Mckenzie had his MMR yet? we are putting Poppy's off for a few months, until she is a little bit bigger. We too are thinking about baby no.2 ;) but I am really anxious about having another dinky one....

Findlay has now been 'promoted' onto Neocate Advance!! :happydance::happydance:
I'm so excited that he is on 'big boy' formula now bless him. It's 150% strength so saves us having to add lots of high calorie powder like we had to when he was on Neocate LCP.

He is stretching a bit (he's very long for his weight) which is making clothing a nightmare although I have taken to putting tights under his clothes to help with the whole 'half mast' thing :haha::haha:

Last weigh in- 17 1/2 months- 12lb 10oz.

Hey Willow77 wow Poppy is doing really well even on "normal formula" what it the bread sandwich thing you give her and sounds good! Its good consultant doesn't want to see her untill she is 2. Her weight is really good Mckenzie still under 0.4th centile and a horizontal line now!!! Mckenzie is still on SMA high energy tried everything to get him to put weight on so have decided to ask doctor the refer him to dietition to help. He is in 3-6month clothes but might have to get 6-9months out for vests and pjs and some t-shirts. Still size 2 feet but found some walking shoes in mothercare as clarks and startrite don't do walking shoes in size 2 (which is mad!) Mckenzie had his MMR on tuesday everything ok so far but he does have a caugh which going to ask about tomorrow when see doctor. Mckenzie dosn't really drink much or eat much around 12oz of milk a day has a weetabix in morn with cows milk, dinner is about hit and miss depends has finger food, tea is ok has about 1/2 jar 10m+ food then a desert. Has a snack between lunch and tea.

Lottie86 good news about Findlay's new milk must be much better seems that they are all growing in height wise lol tights are a good idea was thinking of that cos at least they won't pull of their socks!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kenyawenya
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->