PRETERM LABOR?? Please read!!

jbhowde2

Reaction score
Hi, just some info. I went into preterm labor with my daughter in late january at 35.5 and was 1 cm dilated or so from 26 weeks until 34. I have been having what i believe to be real contractions and decided to check my cervix. I am 29 weeks (2 close together pregnancies was not intentionally the plan, as we lost our baby girl to SIDS at 19 days old). Upon doing so, i felt the inside of the "donut hole". My question is, is as far as the finger measurements go, are we measuring fingers across like a flat hand or fingers on top of each other? My cervix is definitely open on the bottom, no doubt about that, but the top os, which feels like the opening of a partially open mouth, feels atleast 2.5 cm wide (2 fingers or so, like left of the mouth to right of the mouth if we are making a visual) but about one finger "mouth open."
Am i 2.5 cm dilated or about 1-2 cm dilated???
I had to reach pretty far back to get to my cervix, and could feel what i believe to be the head (felt like i had chunky thin skin across it or something like) after i was into the cervix. I am not 100% if this was the head or not as i was struggling to keep my fingers reached that far back. Could any ladies give me any insight?

PS I know i should not be checking my own cervix, but I am familiar with myself and know how to do it as safely as I can. Please no judgements for that aspect of this. I just need help determining if I am dilated??

Also, I lost a huge chunk of my mucus plug tonight (not brown or pink or red tinged though). I've also been having contractions on and off for three days.

Please ring L& D and stop poking your cervix

Not judging but please stop prodding as you can cause infection either way, go to labour and delivery to be checked properly if you have any concerns. You should be concentrating on keeping your baby inside as long as possible if your at risk of preterm labour not encouraging baby to come. Good luck!
x

Go to the hospital. Get monitored properly. You are not a Dr/midwife and are not trained to know how to check for dilation. Please stop. It's not a good idea at all.

Agree with the ladies. It's like cutting your own hair without a mirror! Get checked and monitored. Especially if you're at risk fr preterm delivery.

Posted on another thread but my thoughts are the same as the others, being higher risk for preterm labour I would completely avoid doing this.

I would go to the hospital and get checked hun. Hope everything is ok.

I suppose yahoo would have been a better place to ask this question.. I'm not trying to make my child come faster. I'm trying to catch if I need steroid shots before it's too late.
Thank you bevsibubble for being the only one to not make me feel bad about this, as I was just asking a question to other mothers. :/

I also am big on self checking and if I could reach my cervix these days I'd be doing it more often. There are no rules against shoving a penis in there so why not clean fingers to educate yourself about your body. Not being able to reach my own cervix right now has been making me feel helpless in some ways...I know in the US it's much ore common, and my midwives have said it is safe so long as I'm not going past the cervix or prodding at it constantly..

I do think you should go get checked based on your history, and I hope everything is okay for you

Thank you so much myfavesurprise. I appreciate that you're in the same boat as me. My doctor is aware that I occasionally check myself as well. I do like to be familiar with my own body, and I don't believe it hurts as long as we take the necessary precautions to avoid infection. I checked myself my last pregnancy and that's how I knew to for sure go in to L&D. I have an appt today so I will have her check for me as well!

Ive been checking my own cervix this past week now that i can reach it , i used to check my cervix as part of ttc! and yes as long as your hands are very clean and no long fingernails to poke around then i think its completly fine . as for those comments that have been a bit harsh then i would just ignore them as you where asking a question not asking for opinions its your body do as you please ! besides theres a far more chance of a penis giving you an infection than your own clean hands!!! check away i say xxx

Ooh, im not sure hun, but sounds interesting and a question for the midwives. A
t least in one respect you have a bench mark, even if you are unsure of the correct way a midwife would put a number on it. I would go get checked out to be on the safe side and ask for them to conduct a fetal fibronectin test - which will indicate if your going to give birth in the next two weeks xx

Just wanted to say sorry for the loss of your baby girl to SIDS :( as far as your question goes I'd be calling my dr for guidance.

No yahoo or google are not the best place to ask the question but your midwife would be! I don't think anyone is trying to make you feel bad they're just urging you to seek professional help, good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->