Primary School Kids on Facebook...

angelandbump

Working Mum :o)
Reaction score
I think the age to join facebook is 13 but i know many parents who have 8,9 and 10 year old children on but just changed the age. Do you think that it sets the wrong example to children and can lead to possible dangers?

Will you allow your child to join facebook before s/he meets the minimum age?

Maybe. Depends, I'd need to have her passwords and I'd keep an eye on it and make sure her settings are totally private and all the people on her friends list are people she actually knows.

i agree with blah if i knew the password and everything was set to private and only friends that were known in rl were added it would be ok

morgan has a fb page in her name, obv it was me who set it up and me who has the pasword, because i didnt want the inlaws on my profile

Speaking from personal experience FB causes huge problems in Primary Schools. The bitching, name calling, trouble making, swearing, sexual innuendo, inappropriate photos would shock parents. I really do not understand why young children need to have their own FB account (or Bebo for that matter. Same problems, different name)? Also, despite the fact that I have taught more lessons about internet security than I can recall, the number of kids who have open profiles/ share details/ make friends with randoms is quite unbelievable.

Not appropriate or necessary IMO.

Katie is 11 goes to high school in sept she got fb when her older friends went to high school in the summer ...she goes on chats plays games only adds people i say she can and i have her passwords ...cant see the harm

There is something that scares me about this. I just think it's all the bullying that goes on.
I won't see a problem with it though as long as Jake knows iI will have full access to his account!

I would have full access to the account and have purely family and friends on it.
My OHs 11 yr old sister is on it and her page is full of 'Do I know you comments', She has loads of friends she doesn't know.

Mine wont be!

M is nearly 7 and loads of his friends are on there. RIDICULOUS!

I think it is completely unnecessary. The only way I would even consider it would be if I had full access, but I don't think even then.

Don't agree with it whats so ever, at that age there really isn't any need for it

With the correct supervision i think its fine but that would mean that River wouldnt have access to the password and only i could sign her in and would have to approve all friend adds and delete any causing trouble

With the correct supervision i think its fine but that would mean that River wouldnt have access to the password and only i could sign her in and would have to approve all friend adds and delete any causing trouble

wss ^^

<3

I really don't think it's necessary at all. There are sites and apps and games for kids under fb age which are far more appropriate and moderated. T (he's 7) goes on club penguin and moshi monsters, they can play their games and chat to other members but the personal info thing is not an issue, it's just not there, and the whole point of it is it's supposed to be parental controlled - we sign them in and any notifications come to our email address. There are paid subscriptions for those sites but some of the content can be used free and T's happy enough with that for now :)

I'm not aware of lots of primary agers having their own FB around here...

:flower:

My cousins 12 yr old has one and it makes me cringe!

I think its totally unnecessary at that age.

Mollie is 12 in November and still hasn't got one.

My argument when she asks is that i didnt have my 1st FB account tll i was 25 so waiting wont kill her :rofl:

V xxx

DH's 7yr old nephew is on there & I havent added him as a friend out of principle, also his other 9yr nephew is on there too who again i havent added x I would feel I couldnt put certain things on my status (not that I swear or anything on there) but I dont know what other peoples comments will include & dont want them subjected to that x

My dd is nearly 8 but she wont be having one all the time she is in primary school, I just dont see the need for her to have one and think its a bit unneccesary :shrug: Im unsure as too what age I will allow it, but even then it will be with me knowing her passwords etc :flower:

I have friends on Facebook who have children under the age of 10 who have FB pages. I think it's unnecessary, and I *probably* won't let my LO have one until she's older. I can't say 100% for sure until it happens though.
I agree that perhaps with appropriate supervision it would be okay, but the recent "cyber bullying" that's been happening makes me nervous about it.

I just think it is a completely wrong idea. Like someone said there are online games for them for a reason. Some people will go to great distances to be creepers. Plus I mean no offense to anyone but I just think if I made my LO a FB knowing that it is against the rules I wold be teaching him that rules don't matter.

I can see that at 11/12 it's something that can be useful for maintaining new friendships when moving secondary school, but that is only dependent on whether there is total access to the child's account and firm rules as to useage - eg i wouldn't let my son use it alone in his bedroom.

Even still though, i'd be very concerned about the material he will be exposed to - language, photos and videos of other people that come up on the news feed. Therefore i won't bring it up with him until he mags me for an account, and even then i'll stall him for as long as possible.

My friend's son is 8 nearly 9 and had an account at least a year, probably more. He saw a video on there and showed it to my son aged 5 who was very distressed (the monkey who ripped off the woman's face, and another was a rocking chair then a scary face i beleive....i can't bring myself to find them and see what must've upset my son). I was furious about it, but my friend's son saw it on FB and is obviously desensitised to all tht. She gives him unchecked time on her iphone too, so he goes in search of alsorts of videos. I think she's really got it wrong - he's far too young. She hasn't a clue how inappropriate FB is for her son, and was dismayed with his primary school for writing and requesting all kids at the school with an account have it deleted....she just said he didn't have one, so now she's encouraged him to be dishonest to teachers.

She thinks that her son has been helped enormously because he's typing more and spelling more whilst using the chat function, and who am i to disagree with that?

Such a mess if you ask me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->