Private Nursery or Childminder?

roxie78

Mom of 2
Reaction score
I’m just curious to what other people think on this. My son has been in nursery since he was 9 months old and he has just turned 3. He goes 3 days a week and loves it. However, he is delayed with both his speech and his understanding (been referred for both ages ago) just waiting for the next appointment you know how it goes!

The speech therapist came round to our house last week to assess him and basically said he is quite behind what she’d expect a 3 year old to be able to do. She had a bag full of objects and got them out 1 by 1. Then she asked him to do things e.g give the shoe to teddy etc, some he did but others he just looked blankly at her. His concentration was also quite low and he just kept going off and playing with other toys.

He knows lots of words and what he does say is usually quite clear (which the speech therapist commented on) but he only really uses 2 or 3 words at a time, and you can ask him some things but I get the impression he has no clue what you are on about  e.g did you have a nice day at nursery? When you ask him questions often he just repeats back what you have said to him but if he wants something he will let you know over and over until you listen and get it lol!
However on the other end of the scale he is quick to learn some things. E.g he knows all of his upper case alphabet and lower case alphabet (he learn the upper case in under 2 weeks), he knows his colours, shapes, numbers to 20 etc

Sorry for waffling! Anyway I was just wondering whether if he went to a childminder instead of nursery (there are approx 25 children in his class but maybe 4 or so staff?) he would get more attention and he may progress better? Or do I leave him in nursery seeing as he loves it and it would keep him in a good routine for school (still 2 years off though)

I just want to do what is best for him but I’m not sure what that is! I’ve also posted in the toddler forum to get opinions on the difference between nursery and childminder.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->