Probably a stupid question

kfarb

Reaction score
So, I get really worried about giving birth naturally, when something pregnancy wise really hurts. Like one night, I woke up and had what I assumed was round ligament pain (happened when I moved) and it lasted maybe thirty seconds but it was SO bad I felt nauseous. Or sometimes when I have to have a bowel movement and I get gas pains that are really bad. And I'm thinking, if labor is like this, I don't know if I can cope! I really, really want to! I've read The Birth Book by Martha Sears and Ina May's Guide to Childbirth. I'm taking a child birth class. I know the benefits of natural, and I really really want.

How is the pain different then regular pain? Is it different?

For me, natural labor pain started out as just a sensation of the tightening of my uterus, that continued to get stronger gradually. If a contraction takes 60 seconds say--it would be really quite painful around 30 seconds and then slowly taper off to nothing, break for a minute or so and then start tightening again. The pain is a combination of pain and a lot of pressure. The pain itself I would compare to really intense round ligament pain, then with extremely intense pressure in there too at the same time. But its manageable because it does come in waves that gradually get more (and then less) intense.

So while the pain itself feels similar to round ligament (though much worse!) its not sharp and sudden like round ligament. And its your whole uterus, not just one side or spot like RL pain.

I hope this helps, its hard to describe something like this! Anyhow its different than regular pain because its "productive" pain, not pain signaling something is wrong. I found it empowering, and I prefer birthing to being pregnant and all the constant discomforts & sickness.

Thank you so, so much! I feel much better!

How people perceive the pain varies from one person to the next and one pregnancy to the next, but personally I'd be most apt to describe the pain as menstrual cramp like. They start off relatively mild and then they grow in intensity. It is important to remember that it is productive pain and that it WILL end! You just have to get through one contraction at a time.

I also don't think that your pre-labour pain threshold correlates well to a women's labour pain threshold. I am the type who cries over a sliver and managed to have a natural childbirth with my daughter. I did opt for narcotics with my first but there was factors involved there which did not make the situation ideal, mainly having absolutely no support. I also remember having one client who felt that pap smears were so painful that she was brought to tears when every she got one. She had wanted a natural birth but really felt that she wouldn't be able to take the pain and frankly throughout her entire pregnancy I doubted her ability as well :( and guess what! She never even asked for pain meds once! She handled the labour beautifully and wonderfully and certainly taught me a lesson regarding assumptions!

But as mentioned above, I do think there are factors that influence how one copes with the labour pain, because it is a physical and mental work out.

Self-motivation is a big one. And you certainly seem very motivated!

Sleep is another big one. Women who are very sleep deprived tend not to cope as well. Sleep is definitly a difficult thing to achieve in late pregnancy but if you can get a chance to nap take it. And if you begin having contractions that are still spaced out quite abit (go by your care providers recommendations as to when to go to the hospital) do try to get some sleep or atleast lie down and rest.

As a midwifery student, in my practical placements I would always tell first time moms to page according to the 5-1-1 rule. That is getting contractions every five minutes, that each contraction lasts a minute and that pattern has gone on for an hour or page if they can't cope with the contractions. Just from personal experience I've noticed that if the contractions start in the night, the women who time 4 or so contractions and then goes back to sleep until they get stronger (You won't sleep through active labour) cope much better then the ones who spent the night awake timing the contractions for hours and hours anxiously awaiting true labour to begin. While it is hard to rid yourself of the excitement of getting so close to meeting your baby that rest is certainly worth it. Same goes if your water breaks. Speak to your health care professional about your next step (which will vary depending on individual circumstances) and then whether you wait at home or hospital for labour to begin do try to get some rest cause it won't be long till labour comes!

Keeping your energy up is another factor. Humans need food. It's their fuel, it's what creates our energy to do things. While many hospitals do not allow eating in active labour and frankly many mom's don't even want to bother eating at that point eating during early labour can be beneficial. I'd avoid big heavy greasy meals that wouldn't sit well but small nutritious snacks that are easy to digest are great.

Then there's the support around us. Women with a strong support network who believe in her innate ability to birth naturally tend to do well (though when things don't go as planned, they tend to be the ones who get most disappointed... something to watch out for). Having a careprovider supportive of natural birth is also beneficial... When your in pain it makes it very difficult to stay strong when someone offers you pain medication every 15 minutes.

The last factor I want to mention is labour progress. Labouring for 9 or 10 or 11 hours is hard work... When you double that time coping can become quite difficult.... Exhaustion and sleep deprivation start to kick in as well as the voice of concern from those around you making you doubt your own ability. While there are factors in labour progress that you have absolutely no control in, there are a few things you can do ahead of time to help. Getting baby into a good position before hand is a good start (see www.spinningbabies.com), alternating positions and moving around in active labour is also a good thing to do. They don't completely eliminate the risk of slow labour progress but they can help.

It's also good to go into labour with a WIDE RANGE of different pain relief ideas and it's good to practice these beforehand. Some ideas include hydrotherapy (labouring in water offers wonderful pain relief, hypnotherapy, massage (teach your partner the absolutely lovely art of counterpressure and double hip squeezes - the book the birth partner is a wonderful resource), then there's the TENS machine which can also be very helpful. Have never used that personally but I hear it's wonderful.

Anyways, I hope I didn't scare you too much with all that and that maybe some of what I said will help you on your birthing journey!

Kandy Kinz, thank you so much! That was really informative. My Birth Center doesn't allow eating, but DH is going to sneak me some snacks if I feel like I need it. I will keep all that stuff in mind. I really feel so much better after hearing from you ladies. I'm really gonna do it naturally!

Oh yes I agree with KandyKinz I cry over a simple graze or stubbing my toe but managed through labour with no pain relief until near the end when I was given a shot of pethidine even though I told them I didn't want it. :growlmad:
Go into your labour with the mindset that you can do it and you will do it.

Oh yes I agree with KandyKinz I cry over a simple graze or stubbing my toe but managed through labour with no pain relief until near the end when I was given a shot of pethidine even though I told them I didn't want it. :growlmad:

And then if at some point you reach a wall and have exhausted all of your natural pain relief techniques and you feel as though you just can't do it anymore.... Remember that chances are you are now in transition, which is the most intense part of labour and remember that it lasts the SHORTEST amount of time, meaning it won't be long at all until you are holding your babe in your arms!!!!

I also wanted to add in another pain management technique I failed to mentioned above..... Progressive relaxation... The bradley method is very fond of this one... Essentially is teaches your body how to relax muscle by muscle.... Because a relaxed body feels less pain and a relaxed body dilates faster.... cause there is no tension fighting against it.... I'm sure you can just google progressive relaxation birth and you'll find tons of info.

And then if at some point you reach a wall and have exhausted all of your natural pain relief techniques and you feel as though you just can't do it anymore.... Remember that chances are you are now in transition, which is the most intense part of labour and remember that it lasts the SHORTEST amount of time, meaning it won't be long at all until you are holding your babe in your arms!!!!

I also wanted to add in another pain management technique I failed to mentioned above..... Progressive relaxation... The bradley method is very fond of this one... Essentially is teaches your body how to relax muscle by muscle.... Because a relaxed body feels less pain and a relaxed body dilates faster.... cause there is no tension fighting against it.... I'm sure you can just google progressive relaxation birth and you'll find tons of info.

I do need to get better at relaxing. In Ina May's Guide to Childbirth, she says that the more relaxed you are, the easier it is to progress in labor. She said fear also play a large part in how fast your progress. Have you read her book? It's really good.

Yep, read her books and saw her speak at a conference once... She's quite the woman!

Pam England writes great books, too. Very inspirational! There is a good section on coping with labour pain and how to embrace it (as hard as it sounds) because it means everything is going well. Pain signals endorphins to rush around the body which create more birthing hormones and it how pain during labour is a god/nature given thing to help create lots of those loving feelings when it really matters. When coping with the pain comes from our own minds, endorphins can still rush around the body but when it is done synthetically, not so much, which is why it is common to have a drip with some form of oxytocin as well. The more I research it, the more I realise how much our bodies were made for this (and how much I am looking forward to it when it happens for us).

I know how you feel, I was having bad ovulation pain, last night, and I kind of yelled at OH saying 'if it hurts this much to release an egg, how the heck am I going to release a baby!?'

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->