Probably aren't gonna' have a 12 week scan! GRRRRR

Lauralily

Mummy to Lily-Grace.
Reaction score
I am SO annoyed.
:growlmad: :growlmad: :growlmad: :growlmad:
I have been waiting about 4 weeks JUST for a booking in appointment.
A midwife was supposed to be coming to my house on the 28th april, she didn't turn up, so when I rang her she said she had been called in for an emergency, fair enough.... Heard nothing since and when I kept ringing I was getting no where.... BUT....

Today, I rang, they answered, I went there.
First question was "Where do you plan on giving birth?" So I replied with, "Well, preferably i would like to go to Cardiff hospital where I gave birth to my first because I was under consultant".... She IMMEDIATELY said "No, you can't. They've closed their door to everyone not in Cardiff, so it's here (midwife led) or the gwent (heard REALLY bad things about this one)."......
Cut the story short, i explained WHY i was consultant led which then made her realise, oh shit, she has to go there.... unfortunately the midwives cannot refer me there and I, PERSONALLY, have to try and book myself into the hospital... until then, I won't receive a 12 week scan letter.

SO FUCKED OFF.

I know how you feel, I will not have my first scan until 20 weeks. So T.O'd about that. The reasoning for mine is just because the military hospital I unfortunately HAVE to go with (because of my insurance) is stingy as fuck with their ultrasounds. I could get a scan next visit because I'll be 16 weeks 5 days but I know they won't give me one. I'm looking into getting a private one done around 16 weeks to see what we're having sooner than 20 weeks.
I'd look into getting a private scan since they are won't be giving you one. The regular ones shouldn't cost much, I know the 3d and 4d ones cost around 100 (well at least here)

Are 12 week scans really part of most women's scheduled prenatal care (that aren't high risk)? I had one the day after my first appointment just to confirm dates, and then wasn't scheduled for another until 20 weeks, although I paid for one out of pocket at a 3d place at 15 weeks for fun.

Are 12 week scans really part of most women's scheduled prenatal care (that aren't high risk)? I had one the day after my first appointment just to confirm dates, and then wasn't scheduled for another until 20 weeks, although I paid for one out of pocket at a 3d place at 15 weeks for fun.

In UK they are. Most people would not have a datingone before then. It's the best time to check for signs of down's syndrome. Then another at 20 weeks.

Op I think that's really shocking! You should be given choice not told where you can and can't give birth with not even so much as a booking in appointment to find out your needs.

I hope you sort it soon. I didn't get my 12 week scan until 15 weeks last time but it was worth the wait in the end. I hope it gets sorted soon. So stressful x

Call the hospital direct. I was under the impression that you can self-refer to hospitals. There may even be an online form to fill out (there was for me in 2012 at a hospital in England). Then call their midwives/consultant team direct: ignore using the middle man.

That's awful. Good luck with getting in touch with the hospital. Without knowing the reasons, perhaps the fact that you are under consultant lead care might mean that they get a hurry up on your scan dates. You deserve the opportunity for a nuchal scan just like everyone else x x

The woman who chooses If I'm allowed at the hospital is on annual leave for two weeks! I have to email here... Had enough already!

I don't get how cardiff can close their doors to anyone outside cardiff? It's my local hospital and it's the biggest in wales-massive so makes no sense :shrug:

I'd contact your local head of midwifery for advice.

I know! They want me to go to the gwent, and no thanks... After everything I have read about that place... I won't go near there. Plus, after having my.first in Cardiff I should be allowed! I felt relaxed and loved it there, so why make someone stressed? -.- grr

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->