Probably asked LOADS but defrosting help

Discussion in 'Weaning & Nutrition' started by cupcaker, Oct 14, 2013.

1. cupcaker

cupcaker Well-Known Member

I've been merrily making up pots of veggies and fruit for LO and freezing. To defrost, if I remember, I put them in the fridge over night then take the cold edge of at feeding time by floating in hot water.

If I forget to defrost over night, I do the same method (float in hot water ) until the block melts completely.

Since then I bought the Anabel Karmel (?) book and it states to always heat up food (say in the microwave) until piping hot then allow to cool.

I understand why this has to be done with products containing meat for example but is my technique safe for the fruit and veggies? I understand this is a total noob question probably done to death but everything I read is always contradicting. :-s

2. Sarah Lou 80

Sarah Lou 80 Well-Known Member

If its just fruit and veg then I defrost and then warm up (mainly for veg) in a bowl of hot water to take the chill off. I've only been using the heating til piping hot method for meals that i had frozen that contained meat.

It's a minefield isn't it?! And you question yourself over everything! Well, I do anyway!

:)

3. cupcaker

cupcaker Well-Known Member

Absolutely yes, get things straight in my head then the next min doubt everything :-s