Problems keeping 4 month old interested in nursing

curlygurl

Reaction score
Any advice is welcome, I am a first time mom, breastfeeding has been going great, and I really want to keep going, but my son pulls off constantly during feedings, and maybe I am crazy but it feels like he is going to suck my nipple off! I recently started him on rice cereal once a day so he is getting calories, and I think he is getting enough, but I would like it to go back to being nice and peaceful...any suggestions? Thanks!

Yep we had the same problem back then :wacko:

The advice I got was feeding in a quiet, dark room, and feed just before or after nap, so he's still drowsy.

Worked great for me! Mine was a very distracted feeder from 4-10 months... Then she got better....

Suggestions? Peaceful breastfeeding is over! Your kiddo has just entered a very distractable stage. If he has the opportunity to nurse at night and before or after naps, he should be able to get enough. There's nothing much to do besides go with the flow. It only gets harder from here until toddlerhood. Our troubles started around 4 month, but then around 8 months, Violet became very difficult to nurse. I eventually figured out it was because she wanted to remain upright while nursing. I found the mei tai carrier very useful for nursing starting around 8 months. Violet is easier to nurse now. She's 14 months. It started getting easier after she mastered walking...

We've started using a nursing necklace. I put the charm in his view after he's initially latched on and he plays with it while he nurses.

I take back what I said about peaceful breastfeeding being over. Violet nursed in public today and it was fairly peaceful and she didn't get distracted until she was done. So, yeah... Guess nursing in public is easy again now that Violet is 14.5 months. Now I just have to get over my own personal feelings of awkwardness.

Breastfeeding necklace has saved my nipple!

I'm so pleased you posted this as I have the same problem! I always feel like when she pulls away she just isn't getting enough each feed! She is so easily distracted even if I sit quietly in she dimly lit bedroom. I worry she's not getting enough. I'm not going to introduce solids until she's 6 months so she really needs to get sucking! :)

Necklace. But also go somewhere quiet. I was feeding Grace this morning at my mum and dad's house, the dog started snoring and that was the end of that!

I am going to try the necklace idea. I am afraid he is not getting enough as well, he is young but we is already 18 pounds so I started him on a tiny bit of rice cereal in the morning and at night. That seems to help, especially since he can look around while he eats.

My 3 month old is becoming very distracted as well. Nursing before naps and bedtime is easiest. And recently I've found it best to nurse lying down on our sides. It seems he relaxes a bit better this way. Definitely agree with having a quiet place with dim lighting. That will help. Buuuut, I do think it becomes more difficult as they get older. Just remember they also become more efficient over time and it may not take as long for your LO to get his fill.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->